Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: October 28, 2010 11:49PM

I am fortunate to play with a few local jazz groups. Tonight we were asked to play at a funeral for a young man who died of brain cancer on Sunday. The father asked that our sextet play some Dixieland at the conclusion of the funeral service. This young man was only 23 and had attended college in New Orleans and loved Dixieland music.

The service was emotional with family members speaking about their brother. When they concluded, we played "Saint James Infirmary" and "When the Saints go Marching In". The solos went very well and we were all in sync. When I looked up at the mourners, over 100 people, after we finished playing, many were crying. We received a long applause. I never had an emotional experience like this as a Mormon. Emotions were always in check.

The parents thanked us profusely. I hoped we helped them. It was such a sad occasion.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Helen ( )
Date: October 29, 2010 12:35AM

over and over again as they walk through their journey of grief.

How nice that your sextet was asked to play.

Dixieland jazz rather than someone droning the Mormon Plan of Salvation....how cool is that eh?

Posted by: luminouswatcher ( )
Date: October 29, 2010 01:25AM

It is my wish for a small group to play "Just a Closer Walk With Thee" in the Dixieland style at my memorial service. It starts out as a dirge and at the midpoint it jumps into a faster trot that just makes you feel good. DW is resisting and does not feel it should be anything like a party type atmosphere. I don't want anyone to mourn when I go. It will just be my turn to make room for the next generation. And why not have a party where folks can gather and enjoy each other's company?

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: October 29, 2010 01:43AM

Posted by: wings ( )
Date: October 29, 2010 08:22AM

Posted by: Jobim ( )
Date: October 29, 2010 08:37AM

I visited New Orleans when I was 14, and fell immediately in love with jazz. I secretly hoped I would see a jazz funeral, like in one of the James Bond movies...

For my own funeral, though, I would like to have a full orchestra & choir singing Mozart's Requiem :-) I better start saving for that...

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: October 29, 2010 10:44AM

It's good to have a talent that can bring joy and comfort at such a time.

Posted by: debbie ( )
Date: October 29, 2010 01:46PM

Why not have something upbeat played at a funeral? At a memorial service in my church recently we ended with the hymn "Soon and Very Soon 'We are going to see the king'. I believe it is an African American Spiritual with hands clapping and feet tapping. It is exactly what the deceased would have loved.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: October 29, 2010 02:17PM

I was a dixieland trumpeter when I was younger.
I can think of no greater tribute to a life well lived than Just A Closer Walk With Thee at my funeral

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: October 29, 2010 05:23PM

... is that the professional does it for the money while the artist and the ameteur do it for the love.

Most cool!

Here's some advice from an old blues hound: Always remember to practice safe sax!

Timothy

Posted by: janebond462 ( )
Date: October 29, 2010 05:36PM

How very cool! My mom has said she wants Dixieland played at her funeral.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.