Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: MormonThinker ( )
Date: March 24, 2020 05:00PM

I was asked by someone what is the church's current stance on sealing of people that were already sealed. With all the changes Nelson has done, does anyone know the current status? For example, John and Mary get sealed. John dies. Mike and Lisa get sealed. Lisa dies. Can Mary and Mike marry each other and get sealed to each other?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: March 24, 2020 05:41PM

I believe I know the answer.

My mother and her eldest sister had a bit of a falling out over something like this.

Sorry, I'm still tripping on my Uncle Bert's last name. I never knew it before today.

My mother hated her father. He was a drunk who abused her in many different ways. But his eldest child and daughter my aunt had my grandparents sealed after my grandmother had died.

My grandmother (who my polygamist sister and I look more like than any of our other siblings) was a quiet unassuming woman very friendly and nice. My grandfather I never knew as he died the year before I was born. But I knew the man who courted my grandmother most of my early life. He was my grandmother's brother in law and had been a widower from before I was born.

He lavished attention and love upon my grandmother and took her to Hawaii and on a cruise. My mother thought the world of him. He is still the only person she has allowed to smoke on her property.

My grandmother married her BIL about 6 or 7 years before he died. They lived to together and probably sinned for much longer. At any rate when my grandmother died my mother and my aunt argued about who to seal her to. In the end they had her sealed to both of her husbands. Just now I checked my grandmother's records and found out my Uncle Bert's (not an uncle and I don't know why we called him that) full name. My grandmother is sealed to both dead men.

I believe the answer to your question is stupid living rules apply (I believe they were women can't get sealed multiple times and men can while living) but once dead all rules don't apply.

My neighbor back when I lived in Utah was able to get sealed to his wife and stay sealed to his exwife. I doubt this has changed. He said his exwife would have to have their sealing voided for her to get sealed if she remarried.

Posted by: MormonThinker ( )
Date: March 25, 2020 12:23PM

Elder Berry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I believe I know the answer.
>
> My mother and her eldest sister had a bit of a
> falling out over something like this.
>
> Sorry, I'm still tripping on my Uncle Bert's last
> name. I never knew it before today.
>
> My mother hated her father. He was a drunk who
> abused her in many different ways. But his eldest
> child and daughter my aunt had my grandparents
> sealed after my grandmother had died.
>
> My grandmother (who my polygamist sister and I
> look more like than any of our other siblings) was
> a quiet unassuming woman very friendly and nice.
> My grandfather I never knew as he died the year
> before I was born. But I knew the man who courted
> my grandmother most of my early life. He was my
> grandmother's brother in law and had been a
> widower from before I was born.
>
> He lavished attention and love upon my grandmother
> and took her to Hawaii and on a cruise. My mother
> thought the world of him. He is still the only
> person she has allowed to smoke on her property.
>
> My grandmother married her BIL about 6 or 7 years
> before he died. They lived to together and
> probably sinned for much longer. At any rate when
> my grandmother died my mother and my aunt argued
> about who to seal her to. In the end they had her
> sealed to both of her husbands. Just now I checked
> my grandmother's records and found out my Uncle
> Bert's (not an uncle and I don't know why we
> called him that) full name. My grandmother is
> sealed to both dead men.
>
> I believe the answer to your question is stupid
> living rules apply (I believe they were women
> can't get sealed multiple times and men can while
> living) but once dead all rules don't apply.
>
> My neighbor back when I lived in Utah was able to
> get sealed to his wife and stay sealed to his
> exwife. I doubt this has changed. He said his
> exwife would have to have their sealing voided for
> her to get sealed if she remarried.

That makes sense, well you know what I mean. Thanks man!

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: March 24, 2020 05:41PM

Polygamy is a patriarchal system. Mary and Mike can be married for time on this Earth. They can even be married for time in a temple ceremony, however Mary and Mike can’t be sealed for time and all eternity.

However, John and Mike can be sealed to as many women as they want (provided they’re not already sealed to other men). This doctrine has remained stable.

The great Mormon cop out is that all of this will get sorted out during the Millennium.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: March 24, 2020 08:26PM

would have to have their sealing voided for her to get sealed if she remarried.
This sealing is not a civil marriage. It is performed after the marriage ceremony.
However according to church dogma yes it would have to be voided.
MY UNDERSTANDING OF THE ISSUE

Posted by: Toronto Boy ( )
Date: March 24, 2020 09:35PM

I was told recently that if I wanted to get sealed to my deceased wife of many years this is what I must do.
We were married for 19 years and she passed a few years ago, so about 2 months I asked Bishop what must I do if I want to be sealed to her. We had a civil marriage but never got sealed . In the end when she was sick she talked about it but was too sick to do anything.

1. If she was sealed to her former husband, the church has to get permission from him first. As I told the Bishop she divorced him for a reason. She was married to me. Does not matter, he has to give permission.
2. I have to a temple clearance and recommendation from a previous wife I was sealed to about 54 years ago. Marriage lasted about a year. Like I told Bishop she has moved out of country, has remarried from what I know, may be dead for all I know and that was a long time ago so why are we bringing up past history. There was a reason we got divorced so why are re-creating the scene over again.
3. I have to get a temple recommend that allows me to perform a living sealing. My current recommend is not valid for that, so I have to have another interview with him and SP when all this paper work is done.
His final words were, "this is going to be a long process." My final words to him were, "I will leave it in my will to do this work when I am dead." What I really wanted to say, was "WT> , my wife was married to me, she is dead and would have liked to be sealed to me and she wanted nothing to do with her ex. What a bunch of BS. I think I know what my wife's wishes were."

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: March 25, 2020 11:11AM

Anything outside their perfection of boxes, standards-ization in their "units", and cozy one marriage for time and all eternity tightness is going to be frustrating, complicated, and as painful as forcing a large round peg down a narrow square hole.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: March 25, 2020 03:57PM

As usual, due to shoddy management and a lot of marginally connected leaders, there is no real continuity in the church, even when it comes to temple work. I learned by my own experience that my immediate family's "temple work" is all hosed up because multiple people whom we never knew re-did my mother's and father's temple work over and over. They were each sealed multiple times. My father was ordained an elder multiple times. Most oddly, my sister and I were the first ones to do the work for them back in 1971, and our names and the year 1971 are not even listed on the family records.

There used to be an ex-Mo website called "famousdeadmormons.com," which was eventually taken down after several years, I believe due to legal threats by the church. But the owner of the site would look up dead famous people on the church's genealogy site, and see if they had been baptized, ordained, sealed, and all that. He or she was able to show that the church had a nasty habit of getting the name of any famous personality right into the temple for all the so-called "work." It also seemed to indicate that the more famous, the more "work." Lucille Ball, Princess Diana, and Babe Ruth, for example, were baptized again and again. The site was also the one that exposed that the church had dead-dunked Ted Bundy shortly after his execution. In fact, some three or four serial killers had had all their temple stuff done, in addition to people who were on the Mormon "undesirables" list during their lives, like Jimi Hendrix. Back to Lucille Ball, she was sealed not only to Desi Arnaz, but to her second husband, Gary Morton, as well.

Helen Radkey exposed that the church had baptized Adolf Hitler and Eva Braun, and even posthumously married the two of them. She was banned from the genealogy library for that one. (The church hates messengers.)

You can still go to a Business Insider article about the old website, and see a few of the names ( https://www.businessinsider.com/here-are-10-people-posthumously-baptized-by-mormons-2012-3 ). It has a hotlink to the famousdeadmormons site, but it no longer works. I think that the real problem was that the site owner used copies of the temple record to prove his or her point, and that those records are protected by intellectual rights.

We're dealing with a church that can never resolve its own doctrine, or permanently state with any certainty what they believe in.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.