Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: October 29, 2010 12:05AM

OK so I lost the bet, it was about inappropriate sex between a therapist and a client.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/home/50554575-76/holbrook-lawsuit-family-sexual.html.csp

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ExMorgbot ( )
Date: October 29, 2010 12:22AM

Those poor people.

It sickens me when professionals abuse their power to hurt or manipulate others. Their religious persuasion doesn't matter, a man this disgusting would have hurt others no matter what his faith was.

However, the fact that LDS Family Services turned a blind eye doesn't surprise me at all and kind of makes me want to light their buildings on fire.

Their entire "counseling" organization is ineffective and obnoxious. I'm sure loads of victims will come out of the woodwork now. The Catholic church molestation scandal only started with a few victims too....but now look at the beating that church has taken due to the controversies. The Catholic church is far more powerful and wealthy than the Mormon church too.....this could be the beginnings of their undoing.I don't think the LDS church could withstand the type of controversy that the Catholic church has.

Posted by: ExMorgbot ( )
Date: October 29, 2010 12:24AM

..When I saw this thread title I assumed it would be surrounding the LDSFS adoption process. Which i've heard nothing but nastiness about.

It's only a matter of time before a birthmother who got strong-armed into adoption takes their ass into civil court next.

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: October 29, 2010 12:22AM

I guessed wrong too. Thought for sure it would be about confidentiality issues.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: October 29, 2010 02:36AM

When I saw an LDS Social Services witch doctor at BYU for depression, he began interrogating me to find out what sin was causing the depression, such as alcohol or drug abuse, sex, etc. Then he told me that depression is caused by your body rebelling against your spirit. He gave me a book called "Eliminating Your SDB's" by some joker named Chamberlain. The book discussed how to associate sinful thoughts with emotions such as pain so that the thoughts couldn't get to the point where they are acted out.

Sounds like not much has changed.

Posted by: Skunk Puppet ( )
Date: October 29, 2010 03:01AM

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: October 29, 2010 10:55AM

Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: October 29, 2010 03:24AM

Posted by: rallychild ( )
Date: October 29, 2010 04:18AM

*shaking head* Stories like that make me sick. It's so sad. Ruins lives because of stupid, selfish desires. That is some crazy s***

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: October 29, 2010 10:32AM

Sounds like someone else we know.....

“Holbrook told [Jacobsen] that he had prayed in the van of his garage whether or not it was appropriate to have sex with her,” according to the suit. “Holbrook told Plaintiff that he received an answer from God that they should have a sexual relationship. He further explained that being intimate would help her with her emotional problems.”

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: October 29, 2010 10:55AM

One comment on the trib link:

"[Mormons] are the only people I know who have revelations to have sex."

Isn't that the truth! In any other religion, do the members attempt to gain a woman's sexual favors by claiming that "GOD" wants them to have sex?!

In Mormonism, of course, such men are just following ol' Joe's example...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.