Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Ervil Lebaron ( )
Date: March 30, 2020 07:45AM

Mormons have been storing wheat and food at least since the 1970`s.When I was a tbm back in 1990,I was remarking to my home teaching companion that allt hose non mormon people will suffer so horribly because they dont have food storage.One lady who we visited on our home teaching duties had a large storage of honey.I remember a mormon with with a large family bearing testimony about his food storage back in 1990.He said his family would not go without if transportation lorry drivers conducted a protest strike He meant also that if there was an oil drought or no fuel,then we would not have groceries in our supermarkets.I remember a man teaching out priesthood class that the food easily bought in our supermarkets will not always be there.Some Mormon families have had 40 cans of wheat stored under their house.

So how long do any of you know that Mormons have stored food and it has expired its date of consumption?If Mormons stored wheat in cans int he 1970`s,do any still have that storage?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Ted ( )
Date: March 30, 2020 09:30AM

My elderly parents just got rid of their stored wheat last July. Good time eh'. There was probably 1000 pounds of it from the 70's stored in barrels in their root cellar. It seemed fine. I could not tell that it was 40 years old. I gave it to my cattle. They liked it and they're still alive and mooing. I think wheat will store indefintely.

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: March 30, 2020 11:15AM

12 years ago, my TBM neighbors moved out of their home, that they bought new in 1985. They sold their home while he was called as a MP in Russia. They had food storage that they started in the 1960, in their previous house. They raised 7 kids in their home and had a ton of food storage. They were in their 60's when they were going to Russia. I helped them carry massive amounts of cans and boxes from their food storage basement shelves to the driveway. They had a hand crank grinder and a bunch of steel 5 gallon pails of wheat. Looked like Army surplus cans. One of their sons accidentally dropped a bucket on the sidewalk. It broke open and spilled out. It was rancid. There were bugs/worms in it. The neighbors opened another can. Same thing. It all went in the dumpster. They must've had 50 gallons of rancid wheat that was the backbone of their end of the world plans. I made a comment that it was a good thing that they never needed it if it came down to it. The wife kinda looked blank, the new MP just smirked at me. I miss them. Best mormon neighbors that I ever had.
I would imagine that many mormon food storage, that hasn't seen the light of day for decades, is in the same shape.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2020 11:17AM by stillanon.

Posted by: jiminycricket ( )
Date: March 30, 2020 11:45AM

I have all my food storage in proper airtight containers placed neatly on shelving stored in a cool, dark, dry area of my home. The "cool" part is critical.

So many TBMs stored their food under the bed, in closets, in the garage or in areas where summer heat could get to it. Not good.

My home storage started back in the early 70's. I slowly add to it over the years and use it regularly.

Storing it properly in clean containers, dry conditions, and a cool dark location works well. But not everyone has a place under the house like I do where it is always dry and really cool in temperature. Access is easy-peasy too. I just enter and flip on the switch that turns on 6 led light bulbs. What a sight!

The wheat in my supply has been part of the storage and has been there the longest. It is STILL WONDERFUL.

Each time I open another 5 gallon container, I am thankful for the care I took to store it properly. It smells great and goes right through the electric wheat mill/grinder with perfect results every time. No bugs or any such creatures has ever been found. It's never been rancid or the like.

I make my own flour regularly and haven't bought unbleached white flour or used it in 45+years. I've got enough for another 30 years (at least).

The wheat from the 70's is a hard red variety, and not genetically modified like so much of the wheat available today.

More recent wheat purchases I've added is the hard white variety purchased in bulk from TSCC's facility here in Santa Clara County and placed into 15 gallon (well sealed) containers that don't allow air or moisture to get in or out.

I use one variety of wheat, or a combination of both depending on my own homemade recipes which are delicious: bread, cinnamon rolls, pancakes/waffles, all cakes and cookies, etc.

Wheat lasts practically indefinitely if stored properly. Wheat found in Egyptian tombs estimated to be more the 2,000 years old was planted and produced perfect crops. Yes, it had been stored properly.

In my household, my food storage is golden. I use it. I like it. It's been a terrific help especially since I can hunker down with the Coronavirus-19 and really don't have to go to the store.

Baking continues to be most fun, relaxing and enjoyable for me. I have ton's of powdered egg white and whole eggs too which make recipes turn out just fine (especially in cookies and cakes) when I don't have store-bought fresh eggs.

My garden seeds are coming up and I'll be fine with fresh vegetables soon. Yeah!

I like raisons too in my cinnamon rolls to which I can say I have plenty of them in a 15 gallon sealed container in individual boxes purchased from Costco with the money saving warehouse coupons special.

I also have huge supply of white sugar in 4 pound bags stored in my 15 gallon sealed containers. Added to that are 10+gallons of molasses (stored properly). When my baking recipe calls for light or dark brown sugar I simply make my own. I never have to purchase the more expensive dark sugar.

I simply take 4 cups of sugar and 2 tablespoons of molasses and put it in my KitchenAid mixer with the flat beater. On a medium speed it takes about 4 minutes to incorporate and produce LIGHT brown sugar. If I want DARK brown for a recipe I double the molasses to 4 tablespoons. It stores just fine in a sealed container.

So, while many on this board make fun of food storage (a legitimate criticism in some instances) as implemented years ago by TSCC, I at least discard the finger pointing on RFM and the prophecy related gunk from the church leaders related to the concept. (We all know they're not prophets.)

Instead, I except the providence of personal preparedness and healthy/delicious food sources which I like and use regularly.

And now it is paying off in a way I didn't expect.

The jolt of having to use my storage items in a crisis lock down environment has not been a challenge. There has been no transition to feeling that my home life is in a panic. I am actually happy and without stress during this pandemic. And the cooking goes on uninterrupted.

Well, I wish you all could be here (I really mean it) to taste my cooking from my food storage. Hot bread, cookies and whole wheat cinnamon rolls are scrumptous...They're yummy!!!

And my home smells great with all this baking!

☺ Hunkered down for the moment at home and in solitude in Silicon Valley. Jiminy.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2020 12:10PM by jiminycricket.

Date: March 30, 2020 12:44PM

Great comment JC. May I ask what brand of wheat grinder you use? In addition to what you've mentioned here, "cool dark dry" conditions, storing with Oxygen pac's in mylar bag is good. Nice job JC!

Posted by: jiminycricket ( )
Date: March 30, 2020 03:05PM

Hi Ted,

My wheat grinder is electric and made by K-Tech. It is loud with a high pitch and so I always wear ear protective headphones when it is turned on. It makes excellent fine milled flour for baking.

If it ever dies I may try the WonderMill sold in Pleasant Grove, Utah since I have heard it is much quieter. As long as my K-tech keeps working, I've no need to change models.

My 1970's wheat came in those square metal cans (about 13" square, and about 20" tall). I emptied all of them years ago and put them into plastic 5 gallon buckets. I put TWO food-grade liners in each bucket, added the wheat, sucked out the air with a small hose attached to a vacuum pump and tied off each liner with a nylon tie. Worked great!

Then I inherited well over 100 heavy-duty 15 gallon containers made by the Kerrco Co. These came to me in an interesting way.

In the early 1990's I was helping on a friend's property for an entire summer in the hills of Portola Valley, CA. His neighbor across the street was a tall, hippy like guy, smart and really laid back. He worked at a pharmaceutical lab where these 15 gallon containers arrived weekly with $30,000 of culture in each container used in their testing facility. He would bring home 5 or 6 containers each week and gave them to me.

Each container has a rubber ring around the lip. The lid's bottom has a concave groove surround the lid. A special metal ring fits into the groove and screws together with a bolt. As it tightens it literally seals the lid against the container's rubber ring.

So with this process my wheat stays protected. No bugs, spiders or rodents can get in!

When I purchase hard white wheat from TSCC's facility here, I simply throw three unopened 25# bags into a 15 gallon container and seal it. They would hold 4 bags, but 100# is tough to move around. Works great.

I don't think it is necessary to vacuum seal the wheat with Oxygen absorbers in my case. So far, all these years, it has worked perfectly for me.

>>Sorry about the long reply. I have a lot of time on the keyboard while following the stay at home order in CA and the county. Going to stay Covid-19 free. ☺

Date: March 30, 2020 04:30PM

Thanks JC...I appreciate the reply. You're a smart individual. Great insight and tips there.

Posted by: Schaffner ( )
Date: March 30, 2020 01:33PM

Sounds like you're doing it right. When my dad died a few years ago there was lots of 40+-year-old spoiled wheat and textured vegetable protein and things like that we had to throw away.

I also live in Silicon Valley. When should I drive by to pick up some cinnamon rolls? :-)

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: March 30, 2020 01:08PM

I have successfully used both wheat and corn that was stored for more than ten years
The corn made great tortillas

Ervil Lebaron Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mormons have been storing wheat and food at least
> since the 1970`s.When I was a tbm back in 1990,I
> was remarking to my home teaching companion that
> allt hose non mormon people will suffer so
> horribly because they dont have food storage.One
> lady who we visited on our home teaching duties
> had a large storage of honey.I remember a mormon
> with with a large family bearing testimony about
> his food storage back in 1990.He said his family
> would not go without if transportation lorry
> drivers conducted a protest strike He meant also
> that if there was an oil drought or no fuel,then
> we would not have groceries in our supermarkets.I
> remember a man teaching out priesthood class that
> the food easily bought in our supermarkets will
> not always be there.Some Mormon families have had
> 40 cans of wheat stored under their house.
>
> So how long do any of you know that Mormons have
> stored food and it has expired its date of
> consumption?If Mormons stored wheat in cans int he
> 1970`s,do any still have that storage?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2020 01:52PM by thedesertrat1.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 30, 2020 01:30PM

How long Mormon food storage lasts totally depends on what that Mormon stored.

Canned fruit, not that long. Mandarin oranges seem to have a particularly short shelf life, for whatever reason. First the fruit discolors and neither look nor taste is that appealing. Then cans start bulging. I don't know if that is botulism or some other process, but I've never been tempted to try it and see.

Canned veggies last longer. Again, taste and appearance slowly go down hill.

As far as I can tell, properly stored wheat and dried beans should last for decades. I'm using split peas right now (inherited) from 1994 and they cook up and taste perfectly normal.

My parents stored powdered milk and wheat, neither of which I liked. When I moved to the northern Great Plains, storing wheat was the ultimate "taking coals to Newcastle" move. There were gigantic grain elevators everywhere. And I just say no to powdered milk.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: March 30, 2020 02:31PM

You're supposed to use it and rotate it. If you use two cans of Spaghetti-Os, then you replace those two cans the next time you go shopping.

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: March 30, 2020 04:54PM

that's what I was told- to eat your food storage and constantly replace it. And I actually respect that concept fine. The whole idea of food storage is smart to me. The mormon philosophy behind it, and the never-ending edict that we are living in the 'last days' and are amongst a 'choice generation' (despite having been hearing these talks for a couple generations now) and it is therefore necessary to store food in case the apocalypse sneaks up and bites everyone in the ass, is what i take umbrage with.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: March 30, 2020 02:34PM

I had 50 pounds of powered milk and when I opened it , it was

like cement.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 30, 2020 04:50PM

seen. I'm wondering if she is jiminycricket. She grinds wheat and makes bread. She had 7 children and her husband was in school for a long time getting a Ph.D. and she was a SAHM for a long time. She is now a realtor and still works in her 80s.

But I've never seen anything like it and they've moved I don't know how many times. Nothing goes to waste.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 30, 2020 07:44PM

Typically, the food storage will last almost to the next excuse for Jesus not showing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2020 07:44PM by donbagley.

Posted by: OneWayJay ( )
Date: March 30, 2020 07:58PM

Store Top Ramen noodles. Nothing kills them.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: March 30, 2020 09:23PM

My former father in law was one crazyass lunatic. He had rooms full of Sam Andy dehydrated food that he must of gotten in the 60s. Then he had hundreds of guns to protect his "food" storage. Cause when the hard times come everyone would know the Mormons had food and he'd have to fight them off and shoot all the hungry people. I mean, he could have just killed them by actually giving them the food. Surely no one's digestive tract could have handled it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.