Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mrx ( )
Date: April 03, 2020 03:23AM

Dr Anthony Fauci, USA's infectious disease guru, is deeply distressed that some states refuse to implement some sort of stay-at-home directives. "you really got to take it seriously" "if you don't mitigate, the number of deaths will go up" and so on. . .

Mayor Jenny Wilson (Democratic mayor of Salt Lake County) desperately calls for statewide unity and stay-at-home orders that will limit COVID-19's spread. Salt Lake County is Utah's most population-dense county. Governor Gary Herbert (longest serving USA governor) is one of only 12 governors who refuse to issue statewide "stay-at-home" orders. Herbert issues vague guidelines like "voluntary social distancing" and "discouraging gatherings of 10 or more".

Since Herbert is the longest serving governor, maybe he should be smarter about the situation, and not fight against the various mayors, who press for statewide guidelines, rules, and regulations.

Background: Wilson grew up in the LDS church in SLC, graduated UofU 1988, and lost to Mitt Romney in the 2018 Senate race.

Gov Gary Herbert grew up in Orem, 2 yr mission to Eastern States, attended BYU (but didn't graduate), and made a ton of money in Real Estate brokerage and development. (6 children, 16 grandkids)

2019 - Herbert supported a ban on conversion therapy, the controversial pseudoscientific "therapy" to reverse gay/lesbian tendencies in minor youth. This is probably a good ban, but should've been done decades ago to save many Utah kids from horrific experiences in the "conversion therapy" nonsense.

2018 - Herbert supported and signed the USA's 1st Free-Range Parenting Bill. That's right: Utah was the first state to legalize free-range parenting. Parents can leave kids of all ages home alone whenever they feel like it. Kids can generally wander freely, with no parental oversight except for very young kids. Allow kids to take realistic personal risks, and who knows what else?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 03, 2020 03:26AM

Tell us the political affiliations of the other 11 governors.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 03, 2020 03:30AM

Trouble maker.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 03, 2020 03:33AM

I want to know what the Timpanogos tribe thinks of what’s about to hit Utah.

Date: April 03, 2020 03:57AM

Online poll question:
As Dr Fauci suggests, should all 50 governors issue statewide "stay-at-home" orders to stop the COVID-19 spread and reduce deaths?

YES 84%
NO 13%
no opinion 3%

Date: April 03, 2020 10:03AM

So pandemic response is subject to public opinion ? We're dead !

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: April 03, 2020 04:25AM

I am afraid Utah is going to be hard hit. Between this and all the returned missionaries...

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 03, 2020 04:45AM

As I always say to my students, some people learn the easy way, and some have to learn the hard way. But they will learn.

The "Wall of Shame" includes Alabama, Arkansas, Iowa, Missouri, Nebraska, Oklahoma, South Carolina, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, and Wyoming.

Georgia has a stay at home order as of today.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2020 04:56AM by summer.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: April 03, 2020 10:42AM

Very interesting and telling group. Those states' reputations share a commonality for a reason. And religion DOES factor in.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: April 03, 2020 09:38PM

Yeah, I was watching the news and a bunch of idgets were all going in to church hugging. On the way out, one was going on how she would never get this because she was "covered in the blood of Jesus". I doubt she made that up herself so it is something they are telling them in the church. Oh, and she was also proud of the fact that she had been grocery shopping (possibly infecting others). I am glad that I live in a state where people had the sense to lock down.

Posted by: oldpobot ( )
Date: April 03, 2020 06:39AM

There's no one right way to do this. Most jurisdictions are telling people to keep social distance and practice hygiene. Whether this requires a total stay home order (with many essential exemptions) isn't clear.

Where I live a lot of people are now working from home and schools have just been closed. Bars and restaurants are shut, as are cinemas and beaches. People gathering in public are being told to separate and leave. A 'stay home' order on top of that would not achieve much more.

Posted by: lindy ( )
Date: April 04, 2020 12:33AM

oldpobot Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There's no one right way to do this. Most
> jurisdictions are telling people to keep social
> distance and practice hygiene. Whether this
> requires a total stay home order (with many
> essential exemptions) isn't clear.
>
> Where I live a lot of people are now working from
> home and schools have just been closed. Bars and
> restaurants are shut, as are cinemas and beaches.
> People gathering in public are being told to
> separate and leave. A 'stay home' order on top of
> that would not achieve much more.

I don't know which part of Perth you are in but I'm south of the river and near to Garden City shopping centre. OH and I went there yesterday evening and the huge underground car park had about 6 cars in total in there. I have never seen that mall so empty. People are staying away in droves so , hopefully, we won't need a mandatory stay at home.
Stay safe, stay healthy.

Posted by: oldpobot ( )
Date: April 04, 2020 07:14AM

Just north of the river Lindy. I shopped early today, supermarkets are the only shops open. Get in and out fairly quickly and all is fine.

Social distancing seems to be working, along with the increased testing and the tracing of contacts. I think the border closures and regional border closures are over the top, but the message is certainly getting through. Plenty of people out running around in the parks, which is fine.

Posted by: lindy ( )
Date: April 04, 2020 12:14PM

oldpobot Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just north of the river Lindy. I shopped early
> today, supermarkets are the only shops open. Get
> in and out fairly quickly and all is fine.
>
> Social distancing seems to be working, along with
> the increased testing and the tracing of contacts.
> I think the border closures and regional border
> closures are over the top, but the message is
> certainly getting through. Plenty of people out
> running around in the parks, which is fine.

I don't think we'll need to shop again for quite a few days... we have enough fresh milk, bread, fruit and veggies to last about ten days plus the freezer is pretty full. I had to get a prescription filled today after normal hours but the pharmacy in Applecross was open. They had hand sanitiser..first I've seen in weeks. I was able to get two bottles and felt like I'd won the lottery :)

Posted by: dogbloggernli ( )
Date: April 03, 2020 09:10AM

Utah's curve is flattening, it's in the top 10 for testing. It might work out.

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: April 03, 2020 12:53PM

Utah doesn't have near enough tests. Plus, we don't have quick results tests. Most are 7-10 days for results. We are woefully unprepared.The Governor admitted that we'll need between 2-3 million masks for Healthcare workers. We have 27,000. Lack of testing ability doesn't indicate a flattened curve. Just the inability to have a curve. Our Governor fiddles while Utah burns.

Posted by: dogbloggernli ( )
Date: April 03, 2020 02:23PM

I would prefer the Governor gave a stay home order rather than recommendation. I would prefer it were a national order.

Testing is a national crisis. Utah is doing better than most.

But the available data is all we have to work with, with all of its flaws.

https://i.redd.it/egxj8f38hgq41.png

The curve is still increasing but slowing. Testing continues to improve. New case rate is declining, but still a growth number.

Given the data, Utah isn't doing as badly as the Nation generally. Utah data benefits from a young healthy population and I would like to see how that compares to national data better. It looks like the Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida arc will punish the younger demographic from the effects of poverty on baseline health.

Date: April 03, 2020 03:44PM

New case rate is being manipulated. Today we have 172 new cases. So far. Some days they report #'s with a 24 hour cycle. Then, the next day they report early, making the numbers look smaller, but only through 16 hours. They need to do consistent reporting and more testing. The low rates have given people a false sense of security and they are going out and spreading the virus. With every countu doing their own things, we need a Statewide stay at home order. It's a mess.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: April 03, 2020 09:30AM

Keep an open mind about this, and look at a different perspective. Hurbert likely has the idea that Freedom is more important than safety. As our national anthem says, "land of the free, home of the brave." But what frightens me more is most people have given that up for something more along the lines of "land of the safe, home of the scared."

I mean lets take this all into perspective, right now there are 1100 cases of the virus and 7 deaths, Does that really justify completely shutting down the economy. Laying off most workers, Letting everyone sit idle with nothing to do?

Time will tell, as the old saying goes, the medicine maybe worse than the disease...

Date: April 03, 2020 10:06AM

fux nooz talking points again. You should sacrifice yourself for the "economy". You proles better get back to work making widgets !

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 03, 2020 10:52AM

Alabama, Arkansas, Iowa, Missouri, Nebraska, Oklahoma, South Carolina, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, and Wyoming are where the Kool Aid of freedom is the strongest. Marlboro Man country. Nevermind that every Marlboro Man model has died from lung cancer. Rugged individualism is practically a religion in these states. Notice Idaho didn’t make the list.

I should be appalled, but when I think about how church leaders could be affected I get a warm fuzzy feeling. Keep the faith, Guv.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: April 03, 2020 12:54PM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2020 12:55PM by Soft Machine.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: April 03, 2020 01:08PM

Ka-ching!

Date: April 03, 2020 10:46PM

6 feet apart or 6 feet under !

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: April 03, 2020 09:50AM

The Governor issued a stay at home directive on Mar 27th.

https://coronavirus.utah.gov/full-text-governors-stay-home-stay-safe-directive/

Date: April 03, 2020 12:56PM

It was a request, not a lock down. Utah is one of 10 states that doesn't have stay at home orders. Again, it's a request, with no teeth. Just like his request to self limit to groups of 10 or less and the church's' request for missionaries and their parents to act responsibly. It's not working and more people are getting sick.

Date: April 03, 2020 03:10PM

Yes, it is, but for the most part, people are complying. I live downtown and I'm seeing empty hotels, closed restaurants and bars and only a few people on the streets who seem to be exercising. The grocery stores are requiring physical distancing, etc. I don't go to any of the warehouse type stores, so I don't know what's going on there, but I suspect it's packed with clueless people.

Date: April 03, 2020 03:46PM

SL City and SL County mayors have issued lock downs. Only 4 other counties have. Utah County is still wide open. Logan hasn't done anything, they will eventually pay the price. This "asking nicely" policy isn't working.

Date: April 03, 2020 05:13PM

Oh great! I guess they won't give it a second thought until the bodies start piling up.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 03, 2020 03:47PM

other stores. I had to wait in line over a week ago at Sam's in Logan and only a limited number of people allowed in. They were cleaning the belts and the keypads after each person used self service or regular checkouts.

My boyfriend went to Costco last Saturday in Ogden. They had a line out front and a limited number of people allowed in. TP was available and only allowed to take 1 pkg each. They were cleaning carts and the checkouts after each use.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: April 04, 2020 01:40AM

The only difference would be the ability to charge someone with a misdemeanor.

The people ignoring the directive would equally ignore an order.

Cops won't take anyone to jail. They're letting crimminals out of jail now.

The "lock down" allows people to work, shop, do yard work, and exercise outside.

The prohibition on gatherings is seperate and cops are working on disbanding groups that are too large.

The Governor and his emergency management team are tirelessly working and doing the best they can.

The semantics of directive and order are not going to make a lot of difference.

Date: April 03, 2020 10:04AM

I posted on the social distancing thread that summer started the other day. I took note that my area of Cache Valley has a lot less people out and about and there is social distancing. I noted that I posted the grocery stores have shields for the cashiers and most have well taped out distances for customers. They are cleaning the belts and key pads for credit cards after each customer. I can easily distance myself in most stores from other people. Even in the local grocery store who hasn't done the best job necessarily, I can go around to the next aisle if too much stocking is being done. I was able to get everything I tried to get.

When I go out and walk my dogs, I see few cars. I live in a low population area, but the highway a block up from my house has a lot less traffic than it used to. I walk my dogs daily, so I have taken notice.

My husband works at the hospital, but his office is outside, but they now have to report to work at 7 a.m. no matter what and have their temp taken and wear masks. When I went to the hospital last week for an emergency appt, there were stations set up at every change in area with people asking your history and with hand sanitizer. Doctors are working from home doing phone calls unless it is an emergency. The hospital was nearly empty. Walmart has had hand sanitizer since this all started and always had cloths to clean your carts.

My boyfriend's work has been taking temperatures for a couple of weeks and they started wearing masks this week. He says he is feeling lonely as they are kept far apart all day.

Cache County is one of the counties who hasn't said absolute stay at home or whatever they are talking about. If I go walking on the Logan River trail with my dogs, very few people and they stay 6 feet away. Very few on golf course and always 6 feet away. The takeout and delivery have been without any problems at all.

The state just started a huge testing effort. We only have 15 people in Cache County who have tested positive. Cache started testing everyone with symptoms a week ago. There are only 7 deaths in Utah so far. None in Cache County. But people are definitely distancing. Restaurants went on takeout, curbside, or delivery 10 days ago.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2020 10:16AM by cl2.

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: April 03, 2020 11:05AM

But, , , but, , , they fasted! [log pause for effect] Lots and lots of mormons went without food for many hours to get god's attention. And most likely many of those who fasted also prayed. Shirley god heard the belly growls and listened to the mighty prayers that floated up. We all know how compassionate god is, , , he wouldn't just ignore his children, , , would he? They are HIS children aren't they??

Date: April 03, 2020 12:15PM

Big difference between Dems and Repubs poll April 1-2

Approve of Trump's handling of coronavirus crisis:
Dem 9% (down from 30% 2 wks ago)
Repub 91% approval

Are you "very concerned" about contracting the virus?
Dem 61%
Independent 53%
Repub 33%

"Not concerned" about contracting virus?
Dem 3%
Independent 8%
Repub 20%

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2020 08:22PM by mrx.

Posted by: Vortigern ( )
Date: April 04, 2020 04:42PM

Isn't there some prohibition against the discussion of politics on this board?

Date: April 03, 2020 12:48PM

I don't listen to the polls anymore after the last election.

Posted by: flutterbypurple ( )
Date: April 03, 2020 04:08PM

I personally think a mandatory order will not be given until after GC. Even though it has been moved to a smaller venue and only the people giving talks are to be there they still have to have the lighting and sound people.
This will be a group of more than 10 people.

If there is a mandatory order then technically GC would have to be cancelled. That won't happen.
It is easier to ignore the over 10 count gathering for GC now than it would if it was mandatory.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 03, 2020 05:25PM

We have stay at home orders here (Alberta and all other provinces and territories in Canada)....so I do. Today was my going to town day for groceries and the mail...and that's it...until next Friday. Our rules are legally enforceable too. I haven't heard of any religious zealots trying it on with the regulations either. Even the uber conservative Anabaptist Hutterite colonies and old order Mennonite communities have closed their communal dining rooms and are even using streaming technology (which was a BIG no no not that long ago) to hold their church services online.

Posted by: doyle18 ( )
Date: April 03, 2020 05:34PM

I don't think the idiots in Utah or any of those other states will get it, and if they do, it will be too late. As a funny meme puts it, "States that don't have stay at home orders are just like having a peeing section in a swimming pool."

Posted by: Warrior71783 ( )
Date: April 03, 2020 10:13PM

Throughout my life people always told me to think of 10 things i was grateful for because of my negativety. I finally have two things on my list.

1. I am very grateful i do not live in utah right now. Very serious grateful right here.

2. Very grateful i do not live in a city right now.

Hope we make it through this. Haven't decided what i will do if i get infected because there is no treatment anyways. I am vulnerable because of sleep apnea and high blood pressure.

Date: April 03, 2020 10:53PM

orders as down South, we are staying in place. I don't see many people out at all. I saw 2 cars yesterday while walking dogs and 2 people walking today in the whole area walking dogs.

Restaurants have been curb side or delivery or drive up window for 10 days or so (my son works in one and so I know what the limits are). Not many people in the store when I went the other day. About 10 total. Kids aren't out playing with neighbors. Buses deliver the lunches and stop at each stop and someone comes out to get the food from the driver. The neighbor kids only play in the back yard.

Just an interesting fact. My boyfriend develops circuit boards and works for an international circuit board company that happens to have a place here in Logan, Utah. They are going to start making circuit boards for Ford Motor on Monday to go into ventilators. The order is for 24,000 circuit boards. They wear masks at work and they take their temperature every day. IHC, the biggest hospital network in Utah, is worried about having to lay off employees as they don't have enough patients because everything has been stopped to do Coronavirus patients and for hospitals like Logan Regional, they have NO WORK. We have 15 cases of Coronavirus and no deaths in Cache Valley.

I hardly have any work and I work for 2 companies because hospitals aren't doing any work. AND people are staying in place. The schools have been closed for 3 weeks.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2020 10:56PM by cl2.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 04, 2020 09:31AM

I doubt GC has anything to do with the guv not issuing a stay home order. LDS Inc could broadcast a speaker with only two people in the room, maybe even just the speaker, with the hardware handlers in a separate control room. Extra person to introduce speakers, etc, could enter the room as needed.

Over half the population of the state is under a stay at home order, and when Utah County joins in (I predict by midweek) it will be 3/4ths of the state. I expect a state wide order by Easter if not before

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 04, 2020 09:34AM

The talk show personalities on TV are broadcasting from home. They are doing it with minimal staff on hand -- possibly just a camera operator. If they can do it, the Mormon leadership can do it as well.

Date: April 04, 2020 10:24AM

And he is my least favorite governor I think we've ever had, but there may be some in between that I'm forgetting about.

He said, "Why don't you go out to the people in Loa and tell them to self isolate. They already do." Look up Loa, Utah. And then tell everyone to self isolate in Utah. He said he is leaving it to the mayors. I live in little Hyrum, Utah. I don't have to self isolate, although I am as much as I can given all the people in my life work outside the home and can't work at home, but look up Hyrum, Utah.

In SLC, Weber, Davis, Summit counties--they are all on shelter in place.

Loa has 586 residents. Hyrum has 8197.

Utah numbers this morning. We have had 7 deaths for 3 days now or longer. All in the counties who are on shelter in place.

Confirmed cases: 1,246
Deaths: 7
People tested: 24,248

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2020 10:29AM by cl2.

Date: April 04, 2020 03:09PM

182 new cases today. 1 new death. No, all the people that died weren't from shelter in place areas. They were transported to hospitals in shelter in place areas.

Posted by: ufotofu ( )
Date: April 05, 2020 12:02PM

It doesn't take brains to rule. Or even a heart...

Look at DDT

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.