Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 04, 2020 01:43AM

Has anyone been told to pay their dues ('tith?ing') on the income from sale of a residence or other investments?

Are ppls residences 'exempt' from gawd's reach?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: April 04, 2020 01:47AM

The church siphons off any increase they can.

You would be on the hook for the increase or profit on the sale not the sale price.

If you sold the house for $200,000 but owed $180,000 then you'd have a profit of $20,000 and you'd owe $2,000 to god.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 04, 2020 02:09AM

doesn't it depend more on how much $ u/they PAID for the house?

mortgage amount is separate.

selling price - amount paid = profit, 'increase'

If you sell at a Loss, NO Credit!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2020 02:40AM by GNPE.

Posted by: ufotofu ( )
Date: April 06, 2020 10:09AM

So you are saying that if you sell it at a loss the Mormons owe you money? Good luck lol

Posted by: Lowpriest ( )
Date: April 04, 2020 08:21PM

Maybe I can get a tithing refund based off of my real estate losses in 2007...

Posted by: Recovered Molly Mo ( )
Date: April 06, 2020 10:24AM

Tithing is the 10% on your income regardless of the source. At tithing settlement they usually ask you if you are a full tithe payer and if you need to “settle up” any unpaid tithes. I can’t recall if my ex was ever asked to pay up on the sale of our marital home. I was out of the church by then.

Date: April 06, 2020 10:25AM

Heartless Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The church siphons off any increase they can.
>
> You would be on the hook for the increase or
> profit on the sale not the sale price.
>
> If you sold the house for $200,000 but owed $180,000 then you'd have a profit of $20,000 and you'd owe $2,000 to god.
>

You mean the LDSc. Nobody owes anything to God (and Mormonism IS NOT His collection agent).

[Futawa (sp)'Make God a loan from your existence (as you got everything from there)' - proverb thing-paraphrasing
OKAY

Not exactly true. That profit may have been due to your intelligence, perseverance, frugality, +/- any improvements, environment, taste, luck, skills, hard work, etc., and not simply 'the market'.

It depends also on sweat equity (which equals time, which is money), length of time you've resided there, who else has benefitted by living there, the difference in home - vs. land - value, as you might have gotten more out of the land than home, etc.

Why do people think Mormonism is God or that they have no control over their own increase?

I'll never know

Posted by: mrx ( )
Date: April 04, 2020 01:52AM

Intergalactic Revenue Commandmants section 121 (aka IRC sec 121) clearly states that a married couple who make a bunch of money selling their main house (not vacation home in Park City) can forego payment of tithing on $500,000 of gain, but MUST pay 10% on gain more than half a mil.

For those on earth, and in the USA:
Internal Revenue Code section 121 allows a taxpayer to exclude up to $250,000 ($500,000 for certain taxpayers who file a joint return) of the gain from the sale (or exchange) of property owned and used as a principal residence for at least two of the five previous years . . . . .

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: April 04, 2020 08:53AM

I'm pretty sure the SCCOJCOLDS doesn't play by the same rules that the IRS does.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2020 09:00AM by tumwater.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: April 04, 2020 08:31PM

Ask Bain Capital.

Posted by: obsidian53 ( )
Date: April 05, 2020 02:13PM

What about unemployment or severance pay? A TBM relative lost his job a few weeks ago and is getting unemployment. Would he be expected to pay tithing on that? He's devout about doing his tithing, so he might be.

That led me to think about other income, such as: college scholarships, gift cards and birthday money for kidlets. Do TBMs tithe on gift cards?

When I give the TBM relatives gift money, I tell them to use it as they see fit, for their benefit and enjoyment, but I know that 10% is not going where I want it to. It's a conundrum.

Something else that annoys me is that although they had a good income, that is, until the job loss, they were chronically short of money. I refrain from asking about it, but I keep wondering how things would be for them if they reduced their tithe, or even held off on paying it until other debts were cleared. This is not a conversation I expect to have with them as I don't see any point to bringing it up.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: April 05, 2020 03:44PM

Are those living solely on SS expected to pay tithing on it when it is likely they were full tithe payers on gross during their lives that have already paid it?

Posted by: obsidian53 ( )
Date: April 05, 2020 05:44PM

What about loans & inheritances? If I lend money to a TBM. would that person be expected to tithe It?

Date: April 06, 2020 10:02AM

GNPE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Has anyone been told to pay their dues
> ('tith?ing') on the income from sale of a
> residence or other investments?
>
> Are ppls residences 'exempt' from gawd's reach?

It's got nothing to do with (your) 'gawds' (mormonisms') reach, but how stupid, or duped, a moron is.

Selling a home is NOT an increase (your may need all that money for your next home/ heaven/ travel, etc.).

Mormonism wants MONEY/ "tithing"/

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.