Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: April 04, 2020 02:25AM

The idea of dealing with COVID-19 is mind-boggling. Where do we start??

We are 70 and 73, and both have serious underlying conditions, so I guess we shouldn't plan on surviving if we get the virus. But just in case, we have plenty of canned food (and toilet paper) and have stocked up on our prescription meds, aspirin/Tylenol for fevers, ginger root for nausea/vomiting, OTC decongestants and cough syrup.

At our advanced ages, we don't expect that hospitals would admit us. That dumps a lot on our adult daughter who lives with us.

I don't know how else to brace for it. We are social distancing like you wouldn't believe, and hoping for the best.

Other ideas??

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mrx ( )
Date: April 04, 2020 02:37AM

My sister and her husband (age 70s) follow extremely strict social distancing, but I don't know if they wear any mask.

Their adult daughter does grocery shopping for them and brings the stuff over.

They stay 6 feet away from the daughter at all times! They dog-sit a big dog for the daughter (so she can work) and when they go out to walk the dog (all together), the daughter continues to stay 6 feet away at all times on the walk. The dog is a possible problem (dog hair could somehow get contaminated) so they just wash a lot and carry hand sanitizer everywhere.

When out walking around, they won't let any human get within 6 feet. Visitors to their front door are generally not welcome unless I guess they stay a good distance from the front porch.

They accept this way of life until a really good vaccine is available. A good vaccine could allow unhealthy old folks (or any old folks really) to go back to normal, but it may be a year away.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: April 04, 2020 04:26AM

Get a good thermometer. Doctors are also suggesting you get a Pulse Oximeter so you know when you are really in trouble and need to be seen. Hubby doesn't always do well with pills so I got Nyquil HBP, Nyquil cough, Pepto. If you don't have or can't get 70%+ alcohol get alcohol wipes for the thermometer. Multi vitamins and extra C.

Posted by: Third of Five ( )
Date: April 04, 2020 06:51AM

Most important items: paracetamol and thermometer; then healthy food, water (if you don’t drink tap), and if you already have any lung issues then your inhalers and nebulisers. If you’re staying in you won’t catch it, but I’d keep clear of your daughter if she is the one venturing outdoors and ensure she washes her hands before touching anything in the house.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: April 04, 2020 08:57AM

Gatorade and lots of it.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: April 04, 2020 09:02AM

I found powdered Gatorade on Amazon.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 04, 2020 09:41AM

Given that you are both older, and have underlying health issues, I wouldn't go out at all. Ideally, everyone in your household stays in, and you use a grocery shopping service like Instacart. If that is not possible, your daughter should be the one going out to get the necessities.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: April 04, 2020 10:01AM

My husband and I are in our 60's and have a couple of underlying health issues, too. He has asthma and I had anemia that was severe enough that it required blood transfusions.
Our family is really good about the social distancing.
Our daughter and son in law do our grocery shopping.
Even though they have hours for grocery shopping for seniors and other people who have conditions, don't go to the stores because you just don't know who can have it.
Continue to have your daughter bring the groceries.
We transfer the groceries from the sacks and immediately throw away the sacks and wash our hands. After putting them away, we wash the countertops with Clorox Wipes.
Like everyone has been saying, keep food and medical supplies that you need on hand.

Date: April 04, 2020 10:06AM

Yeah, the grocery stores are a roll of the dice. I would say if vulnerable people have an alternative, such as Instacart or someone who can shop for them, to go with that.

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: April 04, 2020 10:05AM

Well, hopefully, you have been dealing with it and staying inside the past weeks. If you don't have it now, you won't get it if you're smart. Do NOT go anywhere. Like others have said, use delivery services and IF your daughter has to go out, make sure she's smart, stays away from people and disinfects before coming back inside. We stocked up 2 weeks ago and have only been out to walk the dog, staying far away from the few people we see outside. I did make a run for beer and wine and should be good for another 10 days or so. Yeah, it gets boring. But it beats the thrill of an ICU room.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: April 04, 2020 10:13AM

I think it's too late now to get any dis-infectants, thermometers, or an oximeter. I went to several stores over a period of several days, looking for a thermometer. It was easy to find the section where they should be by looking for the empty shelf section in the pharmacy. I don't think they ever come in anymore and if they do, the store employees probably get them. There appear to be a few available on Amazon. But they typically have delivery dates several weeks out and are charging a forty-dollar or more shipping fee (a way to get away with price gouging).

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: April 04, 2020 10:35AM

I work for a company that routinely consumes significant amounts of face masks (simple paper masks, not N95), rubber gloves, and dis-infectants. I am responsible for assuring that certain of the areas that use these supplies are adequately stocked with them from an internal supply room. In some areas, people from other parts of the company who have no connection to these operations (like clarical and business functions) have been showing up and taking these supplies in significant quantities from the work areas that use them for their work. Now that most of the employees are at home, that problem should stop. I keep the supplies for my work are that used to be set out in the open, locked up now. When I returned to the supply room two days in a row for a large quantity of these supplies, I promised the people in the supply room that this time I would keep them locked up.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 04, 2020 10:13AM

impressed. Read the whole article or listen. This type of thing has helped with Ebola and others as stated in the article. It sounds like it can happen sooner than a vaccine.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/immunologist-possible-cure-for-the-coronavirus

They will admit older people to the hospital. I just read an article about a Jewish lady in her 90s in a hospital in NYC. Older people are surviving it, so don't give up.

I'm in a position that the 3 men in my life all work. My husband at the hospital, my boyfriend at a manufacturer that is going to be making some ventilator circuit boards (he is one of the developers of circuit boards), and my son works as a manager at a restaurant. He will be working a double shift today. So I'm exposed daily. I walk my dogs every day. I see very few people out. Some days I don't see anyone. I have done some yard work when it was warmer, but it has been COLD this week. I'm hoping for work today. Doubt I'll get any, but I did get paid EARLY and just found out. I got paid yesterday. Didn't expect it until Monday.

Date: April 04, 2020 10:27AM

It sounds promising. I know that a young survivor of the virus has stated that some of his blood plasma has already been extracted for use of his antibodies.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 04, 2020 10:33AM

I went to a skilled counterfeiter and had my year of birth changed on my driver’s license so that by the time the deception is discovered, I’ll already be tucked into my ICU bed.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.