Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mrx ( )
Date: April 04, 2020 03:05AM

I don't know how accurate this is, but seems to be about right:

LDS percent of Utah total population:
2000 75%
2020 50%

That's a pretty dramatic change in just 2 decades.
What will be going on 2 or 3 or 4 decades out into the future?

Since there's still towns & areas with really high percent of Mormons (Orem, Provo, small towns, and so on), this means that many areas of SLC and suburbs (and probably Park City) are well under 50% Mormon since the whole state is down to 50% average.

Funny that the SLC Winter Olympics was 2002, and after that the nonmormons have been literally taking over the state. I could seriously predict that eventually Mormons will be only 25% of the population, and the days of heavy Mormon influence on nearly everything will be totally over.

I am not in Utah. Any comments from residents of the Beehive State?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: April 04, 2020 03:59AM

I don't live there but from retirement things I have seen St. George has a lot of non members now.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 04, 2020 10:56AM

Little towns like where I live, Hyrum, Utah, have a lot of mormons, but there are a lot of nonmormons or inactive mormons. There are a lot just in this ward, on my street, who are inactive or nonmormons. You can tell by who has the flags put up on their lawn by the YM and YW on legal holidays. All of us heathens put up our own flags.

But USU has a lot of nonmembers (a few miles from here). I'm amazed how many people go to the liquor store and also how many people have drinks when I go out to dinner.

I think the Olympics probably opened up a lot of peoples' eyes as to what Utah has, especially the skiing, but also the canyons are gorgeous. I live 1-1/2 miles from a canyon and I have mountains on 3 sides of me.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 04, 2020 02:03PM

Utah is gorgeous. When I lived in Colorado, the skiers there had no trouble admitting that Utah has better quality powder snow.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: April 04, 2020 01:56PM

I got a cool sticker the last time I was in Moab. It says "Moab: It's Utah, but Different!"

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 05, 2020 09:39PM

I like this one:

We live in Salt Lake. . . It's near Park City.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 04, 2020 02:10PM

It's not a statistic if you are just guessing. It's a guess. Do you have a source on those numbers?

Last that I recall, SL County just went below 50% LDS last year. It is the most populous county in the state, but even so, it is about a third of the state population.

Utah and Davis counties are still heavily LDS, as is Cache County.

Precise numbers are problematic, since even in a survey, the respondent has their own definition of whether they are Mormon or not. We can say with certainty that the percentage of LDS is dropping in Utah. Beyond that, claims are a little shaken.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2020 02:12PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: April 04, 2020 04:49PM

As of a couple of years ago:
49% in SL county
62% statewide

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2018/12/09/salt-lake-county-is-now/

But...
"These numbers provided by the church include everyone listed on the membership rolls, including those who no longer participate in the faith."

So the number of active mormons in Utah is likely less than 50% of the population. I doubt even in Utah that the activity rate is >80%.

Posted by: Vortigern ( )
Date: April 04, 2020 04:45PM

I'm in the Beehive state, but my only comment to you, a non-resident, is, "Why do you care?"

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 04, 2020 07:25PM

Posted by: Testiphony (can’t login) ( )
Date: April 05, 2020 08:51PM

I imagine that the interest lay in this person’s LDS connections. I grew up in Utah but have lived in the pacific nw for 15 years. I’m constantly being asked to visit Salt Lake valley but it’s such a depressing place once you’ve been away for a while. I’m interested in whether the LDS influence wanes there because it may make it less horrifying to visit. I’m far more interested in whether the air quality has made any significant improvements there, but it’s hard to lay that on LDS density.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: April 05, 2020 09:36PM

I did not grew up in Utah, but I was told that Utah is Zion. If the % of Zion is shrinking Houston we have a problem. LDS families are having less babies on average than they used to. It has gotten easier to resign the membership.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.