Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 04, 2020 10:21AM

I was talking briefly to my brother about their spring garden plans. He and my sister-in-law have about 7-8 raised beds. They grow tomatoes, lettuce, other vegetables, and herbs, normally using starter plants. But I could tell that he was not enthusiastic about the idea of visiting a garden center and using starter plants this year. I'm not sure what sort of risk starter plants might carry. They do use seeds for certain things like lettuce.

It would be a shame if they had to go without. Their beds provide a steady supply of wonderfully tasty food, over a long period of time. It would give their household something productive and fun to do as well. It would be a mentally healthy thing.

My neighbor who works at Home Depot already has three window and porch boxes going -- tomatoes, lettuce, and strawberries. It's a little early for Maryland, but not impossible. She can bring the boxes inside if we get another freeze.

I normally have geranium pots on my deck. I have hanging baskets with ivy or other plants. I don't know what I'll be doing this year.

So what are your plans? Do you feel comfortable getting starter plants from a garden center, or not?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 04, 2020 10:33AM

does very well. I was raised by a farmer and I was a total fail. I actually said I'd NEVER garden.

So my "husband," a horticulturist, has decided this year he is going to grow a garden. I'm sure he'll do what he needs to to the soil, bring in some soil, and I showed him where he can kill some ground cover I was going to kill anyway and plant grass. So we'll see. I'm not participating. He can't travel like he does all the time and so he is working on the yard FINALLY. I usually do it all myself and he has the education.

We'll see how the garden grows!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 04, 2020 10:44AM

I initially didn't have much luck in Colorado, either. Where I lived the soil had a lot of red clay. You could dig it up and use it to make clay pots! It didn't really matter how much you broke it up and mixed it with soil. It was just too thick and heavy.

One year my roommate brought in a truckload of manure, and had it dumped into our garden spot. It was *quite* aromatic. We shoveled it in. I've never had a garden before or since that was as good as the one that year!

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: April 04, 2020 10:55AM

We have 4 raised beds and a large garden. Most likely we will grow more than we need and share with the neighbors as we have in the past. We have already been using lettuce and spinach from the raised beds in our salads. It is easy stuff like lettuce (from seeds), spinach, tomatoes, squash, herbs etc. Not too complicated. I put chicken wire across all the raised beds to minimize critters from eating. It looks nice and we enjoy sitting on the swing and admiring nature.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 04, 2020 10:58AM

My late wife's perennials were just getting nicely established when she got sick and I've not done much upkeep. My physical limitations make it impossible to get down and weed and prep those areas so I may get some help. And I kinda miss all the annuals she planted too so who knows.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: April 04, 2020 02:10PM

I am sprouting Spanish onions and growing them

Posted by: ufotofu ( )
Date: April 05, 2020 11:58AM

Turn Off The News (Build A Garden)

Lucas Nelson & The Promise Of The Real

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.