Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: PHIL ( )
Date: April 04, 2020 07:46PM

Here in Tuscaloosa things are pretty bad.Everything but walmart and home depot are shut down with most of the town out of work.I would think that the church would offer some encourage ment with at least a vague promise of some kind of help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 04, 2020 07:52PM

Home Depot and Lowes. The restaurants are not dine in, but you can get curb side and take out, drive through. Movie theaters are closed. Schools are closed including USU and have been for 3 weeks or more.

My boyfriend works at a place that makes circuit boards and so he is still working as they are making some for ventilators for Ford. My son works at a restaurant and works 2 days a week. Many have been laid off. My "husband" works at the hospital as grounds supervisor and he is still working, but IHC has said they might have to start laying people off because they are losing money not doing anything but covering Coronavirus and Logan has no people in the hospital for the virus. All 3 of the people I spend the most time around are essential workers.

I work at home doing medical transcription, which has almost dried up. I have 2 jobs that I do part time and I've had some work most of the week from one job, but it dried up yesterday. I don't work for local hospitals. One I do is in Canada. That is the one I'm not getting any work from.

You have to stand in line to get in Walmart, Sam's, and Costco. I don't know what others have that. We have to stand 6 feet apart. Only 150 in each store. Plastic shields at all cashiers that I've seen or heard of. Some are now wearing masks and I've heard most are wearing gloves. They are cleaning each checkout after a person goes through. You have to stand 6 feet apart in line.

Logan is usually really busy on Saturdays. My husband had to go to the hospital today and he said it is pretty empty today.

We now have 8 dead, 1400 tested positive, 28,000 tested.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2020 07:54PM by cl2.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: April 04, 2020 08:11PM

About 85% of Utah’s population is in a 60 miles radius From SLC. SL County is the hot spot with other counties in this radius also with higher infection rates.

Utah Co. (Provo-Orem area) was late with the infections although it’s the second highest populated county. But, it’s flared up, possibly because of the missionary pickup at the SL airport. But, this is not a fact, just a surmise given it’s high orthodox LDS population.

So far, the death rate was 8 this morning with hospitals filling up, but no critical shortage of hospital beds (hoping this stays that way).

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 04, 2020 08:19PM

Yes, but how are people faring where you live near Mexican Hat?

PS: I looked at a map to find some obscure place. I'll be they have a great symphony, though!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2020 08:23PM by Lot's Wife.

Date: April 04, 2020 08:25PM

Unfortunately the Navajo Nation has infections on the Big Reservation and San Juan Co., UT now has infections. With The Dine an issue may be access for quality health care. Forgive me, Lottie, you probably know this better than me.

Date: April 04, 2020 08:30PM

Actually, I did not. I am not familiar with most of your state.

And I was anxious lest I stumbled on a sensitive topic for demographic reasons I did not understand. It sounds like I did just that. The notion that Native Americans are caught up in this, while obvious, is one that terrifies me. I hope they get the healthcare they need.

Date: April 04, 2020 08:33PM

Oh no, you’re not insensitive! I love that part of Utah! I’ve considered moving to the Four Corners. Can’t say much, but I have connections there.

Date: April 04, 2020 08:41PM

I share your wistful connection to the national parks in that region. Like mountains and the ocean, that is an area where the power of nature is overwhelming and soothing. Humans, and human problems, seem so insignificant.

Speaking of which, you don't by chance like Messiaen, do you? I have been thinking about him lately, particularly his Quartet for the End of Time (for obvious reasons). So your mention of the parks sent me immediately to his homage to Bryce, Des Canyons aux Etoiles. . .

Date: April 04, 2020 08:47PM

To be frank, I’ve not paid too much attention to Massiaen or Boulez. I got stuck in Pelleas et Melisande and never found my way out of the Enchanted Forest. But, I’m willing to give it a try!

Date: April 04, 2020 08:52PM

He is tough to listen to, frankly. So much of 20th century stuff is so exploratory. . . But on occasion it hits the spot.

And the parallels between his little group of Jews performing his music in a concentration camp, literally the end of time, and the present situation are so emotionally compelling. . .

Date: April 04, 2020 09:11PM

(Sigh) ... best wishes for physical and mental health. I’ve found social distancing may keep me physically healthy, but puts me in mind funks.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 04, 2020 09:18PM

Swear to ghawd, if I had a heart, it would go out to all you extroverts!

Date: April 04, 2020 09:23PM

Actually, Boner, things are going quite well overall. Our family is together, we get along very well, the kids are stepping up in unexpected ways, and we have lots of time with the pets. Ultimately we are growing closer.

Of course, watching events and seeing what they imply for other people in other places is a constant strain and exercises a corrosive influence over one's moods; so too watching the policy mistakes that increase both short- and long-term pain for everyone. There are other worries, too, as you are doubtless aware.

But if this is the best of times, the worst of times, it is more then former than the latter for my beloved family. I hope you (and that interloper EOD) and your family are faring every bit as well as you deserve.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 04, 2020 09:44PM

Ouch! You semi-bitch!!

Wishing me what I deserve... that is a new low, even for you!!

Posted by: Ineffable B*tch ( )
Date: April 04, 2020 11:58PM

semi-bitch? How dare you call me a semi-bitch. I am the Ineffable Bitch, as your cousin once observed on this very board!

For that, may life bring you even more than what you deserve, you crazy cur!

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: April 04, 2020 11:08PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I share your wistful connection to the national
> parks in that region. Like mountains and the
> ocean, that is an area where the power of nature
> is overwhelming and soothing. Humans, and human
> problems, seem so insignificant.

LW, I must brag about my wonderful Pop here, who was one of the engineers on Zion's Mount Carmel Tunnel project. My brother believes he was the Chief Engineer, but I'm not sure about that title --but, one of them anyway.

Posted by: Ineffable B*tch ( )
Date: April 05, 2020 12:06AM

I'm not sure you could rise even further in my estimation but that may do the trick.

Was that one of the public works projects undertaken in the Depression? How timely, if so.

--Lot's Wife, appearing under her pseudo-pseudonym in order to chasten the elderly mutt above

Date: April 05, 2020 12:09AM

On second thought, if that was a Depression project it would almost certainly have been to long ago for your father to have been involved.

When was the construction done in any case?

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: April 05, 2020 12:54AM

>When was the construction done in any case?

1927-30.

https://www.myutahparks.com/road-trips/zion-tunnel

Date: April 05, 2020 12:58AM

First of all, thank you for such a lovely compliment.

They started the project in 1927 when Pop was 23 years old. I think they wound it up in 1930, which seems like such a short time to complete that with the equipment they had.

I think the purpose of it was to facilitate travel across Zion and make it easier to get to surrounding national parks.

I don't know much about the Depression projects.

I was born when Pop was creeping up on 48 years old. As a kid, I was unaware of the wonderful things he accomplished long before my time. I just cared that he took me for rides in the snowplow, which he loved to operate. I finally perked up my ears to how special he was when he received The Meritorious Service Award from The Department of The Interior when I was about 13.

I sure wish I had listened to him more. He had what I thought was peculiar math. I remember going into park service admin buildings where he would challenge secretaries with their adding machines. It was as if he saw the end before the beginning.

I sure loved him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2020 01:34AM by kathleen.

Date: April 05, 2020 01:19AM

Very cool link, [|]. I had forgotten how beautiful it is.

Date: April 05, 2020 02:04AM

a video going through the tunnel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8VtKsew5f4

Date: April 05, 2020 02:27AM

It sounds like your father was a fine man and a fine father. I'll bet you have a good married life as well and that you were a great mother. Through you, your dad probably blessed many lives.

Looking at [|]'s link, I am pretty sure I have never been through that tunnel. One day I'll go there and think of you and your father as I pass through.

Date: April 05, 2020 02:18PM

Thank you, LW. Your very kind words mean a lot to me. When I went through Bryce Canyon, I thought, "I'll never see anything like this again in my life!" Then I went through Zion, and I thought, "I'll never see anything like this again in my life!" I hope you get through all of those in Utah, especially The Mount Carmel Tunnel. Pop would be honored.

:)

Date: April 05, 2020 05:46PM

Posted by: Warrior71783 ( )
Date: April 04, 2020 08:16PM

Same over here. Almost everyone is shut down or the lobbies are shut down. Pretty sure only a small handful are working right now like me and the cops and a few others. This is how it feels anyways.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: April 04, 2020 09:15PM

Things are pretty slow here in Utah, My employment has really stepped up it's precaution procedures this week (better late than never). In other news my relatives are throwing a birthday party. And inviting all sorts of people from here and there. At least 3-4 different households all coming together. Apparently none of them are paying any attention to the news. In their mind it's going to be someone else that gets sick, They are too busy being TBM mormon and worshiping temples all day. Praise the Lawd!

So be prepared for this nightmare to linger on and on.

Date: April 04, 2020 09:32PM

>In other news my relatives are throwing a birthday party. And inviting all sorts of people from here and there. At least 3-4 different households all coming together. Apparently none of them are paying any attention to the news. In their mind it's going to be someone else that gets sick, They are too busy being TBM mormon and worshiping temples all day. Praise the Lawd!

Unfortunately, that has been done before. It didn't end well.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/03/health/birthday-party-coronavirus-victims/index.html

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: April 05, 2020 02:11AM

Good article. You can have no symptoms. Symptoms are not all the same. You can have no symptoms and infect others.

Posted by: doyle18 ( )
Date: April 04, 2020 09:37PM

It seems as if Utah Mormons especially tend to believe that their magic underwear is going to protect them. Of course, it won't and at some point, Utah will have the highest number of cases and deaths, surpassing New York.

Date: April 04, 2020 10:27PM

What is the population of New York? In my neck of the woods, as I've said, people are being careful.

All my mormon neighbors are being extremely careful.

Most of the people I know of in Utah are not acting like the missionary families did.

My aunt and uncle, as TBM as you can be, and live in SLC, are socially isolating from their giant family. The kids and grandkids do face time with them. They are seeing nobody in person except each other and they aren't going anywhere. Their groceries are delivered and they are very careful with the groceries. They are about 89 and 85. Both of them have been very active up to this point. They both still ski, but had to give it up early this year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2020 10:27PM by cl2.

Posted by: ufotofu ( )
Date: April 05, 2020 10:17AM

PHIL Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ... [PRETTY BAD (nearly EVERYWHERE)] Everything but walmart...

Wall-fart is instituting limited shoppers (5/ 1000'2) and ONE WAY isles.

Can you imagine? One Way - no way - excuse me! Excuse WHAT? Oh shit!

> I would think that the church would offer some encourage ment with at least a vague promise of some kind of help.
>

[Mormonism: a Vague, Promising, HELPFUL prepper (it gets prepped on the starving members dime $10+%$$) "religion" & anti-social, hateful, corporate empire.]

Why would you think that?

MEMBERS "support" the 'cruch', not the other way around.

Mormonism WILL COMPLAIN (always complains) of suffering, devastation and loss (to it; tscc; "the 'church'")

And that members should DO MORE, SEND MORE ($), and be more stupid and follow it closer and tighter and more ignorantly...

It is the dumbest, most forboding, selfish "church" on the ass, I mean face, of the Earth, and can't exist if people wake up, act natural, & follow their consciousness/ heart.

Everything is closed! Everybody go back home. If you don't have a home, you might not need one. If you have one you probably need another one, somewhere else. If not, you should probably be home less... and less, unless your are a home body. Wash that body. Wash that mind too (while you're at it), if your don't mind.

Open your hearts
Open your mind
Just be/ stay kind
Look ahead, not behind

Mormonism THINKS it is the Wal#market of religions, but is really just a mean spirited stuck-up farce, a scared-e-cat, beggar (wolf in sheep's clothing), fear-mongerer, evil complainer, obfuscating two-faced, one-fisted bully, and selfish, lying cult.

Do you think Mormonism is GOING TO HELP THE WORLD (like it says) or wants the world to follow it (right off a cliff)?

It's doing what it does: NOTHING

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.