Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: April 05, 2020 12:16AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zt67uGmVOo

For those of you who loved her singing, this is a real treat.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2020 12:44AM by Tevai.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: April 05, 2020 12:45AM

Oh, the memories. I listened to my vinyl Carpenters albums over and over and over and over....

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 05, 2020 08:06AM

I played them a lot when she was young. I played all the stuff from when I was younger and both my kids love most of the music I used to play when they were little. We didn't have cable and our VCR was broken, so we listened to music all day.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: April 05, 2020 02:38PM

Oh, how I cried when she died. What a voice.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: April 05, 2020 04:47PM

The 70s weren't a great time for me, and soft pop (like the Carpenters) brings back bad memories.

Posted by: Ted ( )
Date: April 05, 2020 06:18PM

I enjoyed this...excellent vocal analysis. She was so beautiful. I had all of her albums, and listened to them throughout my mission. Her voice is so calming.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: April 05, 2020 08:24PM

Thanks for offering the off-beat review of Karen. Lot's of fun to hear her perform. I give a lot of credit to her brother, who really encouraged her to share her talents with the public.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: April 09, 2020 03:15PM

Karen Carpenter's mother was concerned with Karen using her voice to display Richard's talent. Who knows what actually motivated Richard?

I give a lot of
> credit to her brother, who really encouraged her
> to share her talents with the public.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2020 03:22PM by scmd1.

Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: April 06, 2020 04:11AM

Here is a documentary about her life. Her mother was a narcissist, and her brother was the Golden Child.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vj5Y6OxdWGI

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: April 09, 2020 03:16PM

YES!

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 06, 2020 09:38AM

She might be my favorite female singer along with Judy Garland.

I think Karen considered herself more of a drummer than a singer. What a talent!

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: April 06, 2020 10:22AM

The best voice ever. All Heart. Every cell of her body had something to say when she sang. Like a fine wine you tasted the terroir of her voice--where she had come from, what she had been through, all that she kept inside only finally released in a note as she looked down or afar rarely at the audience. The total opposite of her brother's approach.

She sang so effortlessly. Like she'd never even heard the word technique. Never showing off like so many singers do today where singing has become vocal gymnastics for jaded listeners.

I have other favorites but nothing as unique as Karen.

I loved the book Bless the Beasts and the Children and that song melts me to this day.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as you.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: April 09, 2020 09:17AM

Although Karen Carpenter is most likely the most talented female vocalist ever, there is a sometimes-overlooked element of her music that is somehow tied to her brother Richard. A few years ago, I found some videos of Karen singing after she went out on her own, without her brother. Somehow the magic in her voice was mostly gone. It was like her superpower had just disappeared. She couldn't make it on her own even after attaining fame working together with her brother. I don't know how that works or why. Karen and Richard probably had a healthy family relationship that inspired in-part, how she felt as she sang. Perhaps Richard may have written songs more to fit her talents and coached her, who knows.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2020 09:41AM by azsteve.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: April 09, 2020 01:04PM

I enjoyed hearing John Henny speak as much as I enjoyed listening to Karen sing. For him to point out ever nuance of her voice, for me, was the most impressive part of the video.

After that, I watched all of his.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.