Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: April 05, 2020 08:36PM

https://churchofjesuschristtemples.org/

So they really need to build a temple in Dubai huh?

Lots of mo-mos just really wanting to go dead dunking huh?

Ridiculous.

In other areas:

Bahia Blanca Argentina Temple
Tallahassee Florida Temple
Lubumbashi Democratic Republic of the Congo Temple
Pittsburgh Pennsylvania Temple
Benin City Nigeria Temple
Syracuse Utah Temple
Dubai United Arab Emirates Temple
Shanghai People's Republic of China Temple.

And where in the eff is Syracuse, Utah? :-)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: April 05, 2020 08:40PM

Progress on the Shanghai temple will go about as well as the one in Russia.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 05, 2020 09:53PM

Yup.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: April 05, 2020 08:45PM

Syracuse, UT is directly west of Layton, Utah in Davis County. This is about 20 miles north of SLC in a highly populated area between Salt Lake and Ogden. Davis would have three temples—Bountiful, Layton, and Syracuse. If temples are indeed the money-makers, all three would form a kind of equilateral triangle and would ensure “temple coverage” in an area known for greater concentration of Mormons.

Date: April 05, 2020 08:47PM

This actually makes more sense than the others as there is thousands of active Mormons in the area.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: April 06, 2020 03:46AM

The drive between Syracuse and Layton is less than 20 minutes.

Why have two temples so close?

I wonder just where they'd put it. Not too much suitable open ground left there.

West of the bluff is unsuitable for basements. Everything accessable by major roads to the east is taken.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 05, 2020 08:48PM

What about McTemples? Did they drop those?

sign me 'out of the MoLoop'...

Date: April 05, 2020 08:52PM

Just my opinion, but a lot of the newer Utah temples are built to look big, but really aren’t. For example, the Cedar City Temple looks massive driving southward on I-15 from a distance. But, getting off the freeway and seeing the building up close reminds me of Disney’s “forced perspective” used on Sleeping Beauty’s Castle.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 05, 2020 09:12PM

Now they've got six months to come up with locations where it sounds wicked cool to build a temple and places where they'll actually get around to building one.

ETA: I double-checked: the Russian temple was announced exactly two years ago and as yet ...

From mormon.org (as I like to call it):

"Announcement: 1 April 2018
Construction Status
The Russia Temple is currently in the planning stages. No groundbreaking date has been announced.

"Temple Rendering
Renderings of the Russia Temple and site plan have not yet been publicly released.

"Temple Site
No city has been officially announced for the location of the Russia Temple. However, there are only three cities in the country where stakes have been organized: Moscow, Saint Petersburg, and Saratov."

There's likely to be Lunar Temple before there's a Russian temple.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2020 09:17PM by elderolddog.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: April 05, 2020 11:55PM

Do Quakers attend the temple ?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 06, 2020 01:08AM

No, but a number of Quaker converts have reportedly bought some promising plots on the moon.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: April 06, 2020 01:47AM

It took 6 years from announcement to opening of the Paris temple. It took 11 years for the Rome temple. If the temples in Russia or China aren't finished by 2030, members won't care.

Just the announcement is good enough to give TBMs morgasms. All they will think is: We got a temple in Russia. We got a temple in India. We got a temple in China. The church is filling the Earth.

"All is well in Zion; yea, Zion prospereth, all is well"

Date: April 06, 2020 11:08AM

I (almost) want to attend the Russian Temple, can I sit next to Putin? I'm assuming he'll still be in power (if alive, that is) when the Russian Temple is opened....

yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus, but Nelson & Santa Claus have never been seen together, draw your own conclusions...

Date: April 05, 2020 09:55PM

>>So they really need to build a temple in Dubai huh?

It's the new tourist hot-spot.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 06, 2020 12:33AM

Where conversion to Christianity is punishable by death. Well if you’re already crazy, why not go all out?

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: April 06, 2020 01:00AM

How did the Mormon church get permits to build a temple in Dubai? Christianity is somewhat illegal there and proselytizing is out of the question. Is there even a Branch or Ward anywhere in the United Arab Emerites? If I remember correctly there is even a special tax that all non-muslims have to pay who live there.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: April 06, 2020 11:08AM

Just because they announce it does not mean they have any of the necessary land or permits to put it up. Pipe Dreaming at it's finest.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: April 05, 2020 11:36PM

my never-mo fiance is really pissed about the one announced for Pittsburgh, PA. That's his home town.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: April 06, 2020 01:17AM

Sign me up for the one in Nigeria.

On second thought...maybe not?

Posted by: Old Al ( )
Date: April 06, 2020 03:37AM

With all that land they have in northwest Florida I am not surprised they are building a temple there.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: April 06, 2020 10:57AM

More temples = more real estate wealth = moremoney for those at the top of the pyramid AKA mormonMLM

Posted by: ufotofu ( )
Date: April 06, 2020 11:04AM

Money laundering

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 06, 2020 11:16AM

furniture stores in Utah, started there and used to be the only store they had. Now they have them in SLC and Ogden.

I used to buy my furniture there when I was single, but now I buy anything I'm looking for in Cache Valley.

Well, if they build the ones close to the epicenter of mormonism, the mormons really don't know if they build them elsewhere even if they announce them. They only care about the announcement. A lot of ridiculous choices. Only one in the Logan area and all the way up into Idaho and over to Tremonton. Odd. There are a lot of mormons in those areas. Not that I want another one here.

I guess they will be building a new stake center not far from my home, but then the one I used to attend is 1-1/2 blocks away.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2020 11:21AM by cl2.

Posted by: mrx ( )
Date: April 06, 2020 02:49PM

According to Deseret News, there's 1,600 members in United Arab Emirates.

There's also a **top secret** stake nearby in Saudi Arabia/Kuwait/Bahrain. Not listed on stake lists because they have a secret agreement with the government to exist, but they try to hide it from the dreaded "religious police" which exist in strict Muslim countries.

According to Deseret News, the UAE government invited them to build a temple in Dubai if they wanted, and so they are apparently just reacting to the invitation. They could always back out if that's a later decision. They probably thought it best to accept the invitation, since they might not get another chance in the future.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: April 07, 2020 10:44AM

How can the church have a secret stake in Saidi Arabia/Kuwait/Bahrain to avoid the religious police and still '...obey, honor,and sustain the law of the land' there? It's going to be a little difficult to hide that temple from the religious police indefinitely. What are the politics of this really about? Why would Dubai invite the Mormon church to build a Mormon temple in their Muslim and mostly intolerant society? Religions can spread like a disease. The best way to prevent a specific religion from infecting your society is to not allow it to get a foothold in your society to begin with. Here in the US, our laws protect the freedom of religion. But in the UAE, there are no such protections. So something odd is taking place there. I may be cynical but can't believe that the UAE is simply becoming more democratic now. That simple of an explanation would be naive. The power brokers in the UAE are the religious leaders. Why would they give up any of their power to get nothing in return? So the big question is: what are they getting in return? Who is paying for it? And why? The Mormon church certainly doesn't have enough money to pay them off. A few months of oil flowing from east to west dwarfs any amount of money the mormon church could come up with. Who is footing the bill here, and why?

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2020 11:11AM by azsteve.

Date: April 08, 2020 08:11AM

My guess is that it is to accommodate foreign diplomats, consular officials, and workers.

Date: April 08, 2020 01:34AM

IF ChurchCo is 'really' thinking about building a temple in China...

I hope they first check with Muslims about religious freedom in China ; it's estimated that there are millions of Muslims in detention camps in China...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.