Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: April 05, 2020 09:04PM

My favorite is reading--excluding novels--as the author can toy with your emotions in those.

Another favorite: Go online to read what you-all have to share with the rest of us.

Sometimes I go for a walk.

I never turn on the TV until dinner time (for me, 7:00pm-ish), at which time I watch the news, and then TCM (Turner Classic Movies--of which some of you may not have access).

It especially shows good movies from around the prime 40-60-ish Hollywood movie era. I time my TV dinner to eat starting around 7:00pm-ish. As some of you might remember, I live alone, so I can watch whatever dang thing I want to (which doesn't include X-rated films, except the classics, like WWII war movies).

Also, my family and I like to go out to dinner with each other, until lately, now that the C virus has made people more aware of--and are being advised to--stay at home, if possible.

And I am an obedient girl to the church's advising it's members not to watch such movies. (Hump.)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 05, 2020 09:06PM

you said (Hump.)

Yes, humping!!!

Good call!

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 05, 2020 09:43PM

How does saucie get any sleep?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 05, 2020 09:44PM

Perhaps EOD is a boring lover.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 05, 2020 10:03PM

Perhaps EOD is a wood borer.

Date: April 05, 2020 10:05PM

It's difficult to imagine how he has time to work on such personal pursuits given his commitment to producing a new annotated translation of Das Kapital.

Date: April 05, 2020 10:28PM

My braggadocio is much bigger than my bulgeadocio ...

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: April 05, 2020 09:26PM

This year I'm starting a new hobby and that is growing a vegetable garden. I'm in the dry, sandy, Wasatch front soil, So I'm experimenting and seeing what works and what doesn't. I hope to set up drip irrigation, (because I don't have secondary water).

squirrels have been my biggest enemy so far, lol!

Date: April 05, 2020 09:32PM

I like to read Marxist literature and weep at sappy movies on the Hallmark Channel.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 05, 2020 09:34PM

(ha ha) How's that Marxist lit working for U & your peeps?

I can sense a pinko commie lover (or hater) a kilometer away, you're good here!!!

Date: April 05, 2020 09:48PM

I really liked “Duck Soup”. Too bad about McCarthy and Hollywood, we could have had a sane domestic policy.

My hobby is evil speaking of the Lord’s anointed. Maybe too much. It doesn’t leave much time for impure and unholy practices.

Date: April 05, 2020 09:56PM

I wish someone would explain to me about this so-called "marxist" thing.

Date: April 05, 2020 09:59PM

Can you be more specific?

Date: April 05, 2020 10:04PM

Nobody has been able to define "marxism".

Date: April 05, 2020 10:10PM

It's much like obscenity; difficult to define, but U know it when U see it...

Date: April 05, 2020 10:22PM

"Marxist" is an adjective that people on the right use to denounce, without the burden of evidence or argument, people whom they consider to be on the left. It is the functional equivalent of "fascist" and equally devoid of meaning.

Is that clear now, you fascist Marxist?

Date: April 05, 2020 10:27PM

Dammit ! *LOL*

Date: April 05, 2020 10:31PM

;-)

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: April 06, 2020 08:33AM

Yep.

“Marxism”is code for any form of government that does anything to check a completely unregulated capitalistic-free-for-all.

The exception being entitlements the pro-corporate capitalists enjoy such as public education and social security. Those entitlements are usually defended with statements like “the government needs to keep its damn hands off my social security.”

Date: April 06, 2020 12:46AM

Start with economist Richard D Wolff. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_D._Wolff

Google will take you to his lectures outlining Marxism and its critique of capitalism. Marx was long dead by the time of the Bolshevik revolution and really had nothing to do with what communism did with his work. So you should wonder why he’s so demonized when doing so is intellectually dishonest.

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: April 06, 2020 08:34AM

Love me some Richard Wolff!!

Posted by: snagglepuss ( )
Date: April 06, 2020 12:34AM

A disciple of the Marx Brothers: Harpo, Groucho, Chico, and Zeppo.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: April 05, 2020 09:33PM

My favorite thing to do is medium format color film photography
Second and very close to the first is my study of translations of ancient Sumerian cuneiform tablets, Especially: The Lost Book of Enki, The Enumah Elish, And the Epic of Gilgamesh.

Date: April 05, 2020 09:38PM

I collect LPs, mostly from GW or other thrift stores...
also post cards & Ry collectibles; I worked my way thru college on the Great Northern Ry in Seattle to Vancouver BC, Wenatchee-Spokane, and Portland Oregon, after my mish ('Great Lakes' Indiana & Michigan) on the Milwaukee Road with similar turn-around points.

Posted by: southbound ( )
Date: April 05, 2020 09:43PM

Recently retired from a lot of stuff. Live 20 miles from the nearest gas station and still on the farm. Just about 70 and not sure about hobbies. Love to still drive long haul trucks and ride my trike motorcycle. Gave up the Goldwing a few years back. May even try fishing for the first time. Will always have a few cows.

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: April 05, 2020 10:20PM

I collect pollen and spores.

Date: April 05, 2020 10:28PM

Date: April 05, 2020 10:58PM

fossilman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I collect pollen and spores.

I think U got that wrong, it's actually

Fallen & Sore

Date: April 05, 2020 10:21PM

pollythinks' other hobby is...

Asking others what their hobbies are!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2020 10:22PM by GNPE.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: April 05, 2020 10:56PM

A couple of weeks ago my hobbies were anticipating every worse-case scenario I could imagine, and then preparing for it. I was barely home from the hospital, and in bad pain, and the pain pills didn't work. I found out my Will was not valid, so I had to rework my Trust and accounts, and get someone authorized as my power of attorney, in case I became deathly sick, and then I had to send notarized and witnessed letters so I could have computer access to my financial accounts, anticipating the predicted market crash. Before I could do that, I had to first get ink for my printer so I could print up the documents. Then I had to find a notary and 2 witnesses to meet me in a parking lot, like drug dealers. I managed to get 60 days' supply (not enough) of my crucial medications (still no pain pills), and never did find any toilet paper. I ended up in a huge, continuous, out-of-control PTSD anxiety attack, and went 4 days without eating or sleeping. If the virus wasn't going to kill me, the high blood pressure and pounding heart were. I lost 10 pounds in 9 days. I called my psychiatrist for paid help on the phone, and he said, "I'm retired." On the media, the US election candidtates were all dissing each other, and blaming Trump and everyone else, and sesationalizing the fear, to get attention and ratings. Then the SLC earthquake hit, and all the after shocks.

My hobby was to breathe...bear the pain and fear...calm down.

When I could focus, my first real hobby was to read a lot of good articles online, on how to manage anxiety and panic attacks. I have used all of the techniques, and they all work. The trouble was, that I had to be doing something constantly, because the hysteria would just come back. I couldn't do the paperwork and do yoga breathing or meditation at the same time, so I had to do everything while in a state of heightened panic. I isolated myself in my bedroom and office for all of this, because I didn't want my family to watch me become unravelled.

Someone unexpectedly brought me a giant package of toilet paper as a gift, and that changed things! I began to open up to others with an attitude of helping them and "paying it forward." Many of my older friends don't have a computer, or the ability to order groceries and find medications, etc. Those who are totally alone need to know that someone is going to check up on them, periodically. Some just want to talk, and need someone to listen. But I had to be completely positive and in control to do this.

My sweet son-in-law fixed my computer and retreived all my lost photos, and I made a nice slide show for my daughter's birthday. I haven't learned the fancier editing stuff yet, but it is interesting, fun, and it cheers me up!

I'm writing about fun things we did in the past, and antecdotes about the grandchildren, and who they are, etc, which might be fun to read, in the future. Only the good things.

I like to go out in the back yard, and watch my grandchildren dance and do gymnastics and "walk like a griffin" and do tricks on the swing set, and play ball with their parents.

I play with our pets, and teach my dog new tricks.

Every night the Metropolitain Opera airs a free opera! Operas are a bit over-the-top dramatic, and I watch in sections.

Exercise, walking, yoga. Getting in shape for summer.

Reading. But I read only vapid, non-emotional, undramatic stories. Self-help, such as "Full Catastrophe Living", "Lovingkindness", "Simple Abundance", The Bible, light poetry. I I have a shelf full of good books I've been wanting to read, when I'm calmer.

When I can't concentrate enough to read:
--Google maps, to visit favorite places
--Virtual tours of various museums, art galleries, aquariums, zoos, cities, etc.
--Live web-cams, such as the one on my favorite beach, which I can check to see what the weather and surf are doing in real time. I love the cameras at the Monterey Bay Aquarium, that show what the penguins and otters are doing, in real time.

Making plans for better times, such as planning (not actually doing it yet) the garden, putting up Easter decorations, getting some interesting games for the kids.

The kids do school work online, and the pre-schooler likes to join in on this, too. My daughter is enjoying being their teacher.

My family loves video games--wish I did

My grandchildren draw and paint and do crafts, sing, and play the piano.
I play the piano, when everyone is out for a walk.

I don't have Turner Classics, but, please, no disaster or horror movies! I will not watch medical shows, or crime, or war movies. Hallmark is all I can tolerate, right now, and they're pretty boring. During the worst of my fear and pain, I watched Hallmark's "We Need A Little Christmas" movie marathon. Commercials are upsetting, so I avoid those, and also the news. Frasier, Tool Time, Friends, Keeping Up Appearances, light comedies. Like Pollythinks, I don't watch much TV, and only at night.

It's fun to find humorous things to text to people. Every evening, my son texts me a photo or video of the crazy things his toddler boys do, and we all comment, and add our own photos, and laugh.

Keeping "up-beat" is a life's quest, right now! I don't want to spread negativity around. I don't want to be remembered as that turned-inward, near-suicidal mess that I was, right after my surgery and during the earthquakes. Older people must be very brave.

Can "being brave" be a hobby? Are there any instruction manuals for that?

Posted by: bobofitz ( )
Date: April 07, 2020 12:31PM

Power to ya. Your story hit home. Thanks for sharing. I hope this group trauma makes us all come out of this with a little more compassion and understanding. I still have doubts it will, but I hope it does. Thanks again for your story. I relate.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: April 06, 2020 01:00AM

I also am a big fiction reader. Novels, non-fiction, graphic novels (I started reading "Transmetropolitan" before the pandemic hit. If you haven't read it, you NEED to), manga, I'm a geek about reading.

I also do some single-player gaming. I wasn't allowed to play video games growing up, so I tend to be a bit of a "casual."

I should get back in the habit of writing more. Maybe a few chapters of a "COVID-19 Apocalypse Log," a few short stories, and possibly about my first attempt at playing "Dark Souls."

I'm also kind of a film nut, even though I don't get along with a lot of film snobs; I think "2001: A Space Odyssey" is overrated and I'm not afraid to say, "Horror movies are good." Both of these will lead to charges of heresy in most film snob circles.

I took a beginning oil painting course about a year ago and sometimes wish I had an easel to pick it up again.

Posted by: Third of Five ( )
Date: April 06, 2020 03:10AM

I’m mostly an introvert so a lot of hobbies can be done at home. I know this is terrible but I wish I didn’t have to go to work as I’d be quite happy quarantining myself. I like music and reading the most and I like being at home on my own.
The things I am missing are going swimming and going to the pub.
But I can still go hiking and for that I am very grateful.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: April 06, 2020 04:05AM

Project for Ookami: Make your own easel! Hobby stores will let you call and buy are supplies ahead, and pick them up in front of the store, without going inside.

I agree that 2001: A Space Odyssey is overrated, except for the music, but, oh, that's mainly Strauss, isn't it. I like horror movies, too, especially the old British Hammer films, but not when all this is going on. I'm sticking to bland Hallmark and sitcoms, for the next couple of weeks.

Oh yes, I empathize with exminion, and I hope she/he is out of pain. I also feel the effects of anxiety, and it makes me sick--but I'm not really sick, and have nothing REAL to complain about. My unnecessary panic makes me feel like an idiot, when there are people with REAL struggles. The worst part about depression and anxiety is all the beating myself up that I do.

Most of my hobbies are social, like playing with the family, creating parties and celebrations, going out to lunch, movies, operas, symphony, ballet with friends. I love to go to the grandchildren's soccer, baseball, basketball games, school performances, dance and music recitals, etc. Well, all that is out, right now.

I like to go for short drives (but my car is broken, right now).

So, now, I talk on the phone a lot, with friends who are isolated. Oh yeah, I mainly listen, too, as I hesitate to push my own fears onto them. Oddly enough, it helps me feel less anxious, when I try to comfort others.

My favorite solitary hobby is reading everything in sight, like novels, poetry, biographies, periodicals, self-help stuff. If you have audio books, you can putter as you listen.

Yoga is a great stress-buster.

Walking/hiking

Pets

Piano

Right now I'm into tidying up with Marie Kondo. I like to think of this as preparing my home for better days to come, and good times ahead.

Repairing lamps and things, sewing on buttons, etc., long overdue.

Getting ready for the grandchildren's Easter.

I have a Mormon friend who is reading the BOM in Spanish--that seems like punishment, especially since she barely speaks the language.

There are online classes in astronomy (I recommend Neil Degrasse Tyson) and other subjects. Ted talks.

I face-time the grandchildren, and put on a short "show" with jokes and questions for the kids, and we're always being interrupted by pesky puppets and pets--it's fun! Keep it short, keep them laughing.

Ideally, I would like to take this time to get over my fears and phobias, and to reconnect with my long-lost spiritual side, but I think this awful experience has already changed everything too much. maybe it's best to stay "authentic."

Keeping a "gratitude diary" has been working well for me.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: April 06, 2020 11:21AM

My main hobby is music....singer/ songwriter/ multi-instrumentalist. I like song writing and performing best.

I am also a movie fan and collector and currently have 1117 titles in my collection.

I also enjoy yard work and gardening. I have 5 large piles of compost from my yard...leaves, grass and bags of steer manure mix....which I have lovingly been tending and turning all winter and now they are like black dirt. I'll til them in soon and plant.....hoping I can easily get my starts at the store this year.

I'm a smoker....Traeger pellet smoker and cold smoke with a smoke tube. Cooking too, I'm a very good cook.

And hiking, bird watching, sitting by the fire pit, etc.

Date: April 06, 2020 11:38AM

Are you cute? ,..maybe a little bit of an overbite?? A little tiny hint of a lisp? A hint of sibilance in your soft 'S's?

Freckles? Lamanites go nutz for freckles!!!

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: April 06, 2020 12:09PM

>> Are you cute?

I am sustained as such, so I've been told.

>> ...maybe a little bit of an overbite??

Very little, my upper teeth do overlap my lower teeth, but its not an "overbite". My wife has a bit of an overbite though.

>> A little tiny hint of a lisp?

None at all.

>> A hint of sibilance in your soft 'S's?

Nope.

>> Freckles? Lamanites go nutz for freckles!!!

Used to have freckles as a kid, now I just have some on my shoulders.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 06, 2020 11:24AM

Photography, hot rods and trapshooting.

Posted by: snagglepuss ( )
Date: April 07, 2020 06:38AM

Collecting records. Since I got stung badly collecting coins, I found out about thrift shops and out-of-print country, rock 'n roll, and r&b Lps. Friend of mine introduced me to Joel Whitburn's Record Research books on the Billboard charts. I met friends who played Buddy Holly, Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, and Chuck Berry 78s.

In college, I get exposed to Christian (?) anti-rock crusades telling kids and parents that John Lennon, Joan Baez, Pete Seeger, and Bob Dylan were going to overthrow the government singing "Kumbaya," and that listening to the Beatles led to child-on-parent cannabalism. I followed looking up all the books I could find on the subject, which goes back to Ragtime, Prohibition (ballroom dancing leads to an 80% pregnancy rate; polka dancing undermines Christian virtues), and that listening to Rudy Vallee, Bing Crosby, and Russ Columbo causes homosexuality and a belief in voodoo and the occult.

A fascination for the truly awful pop music what-were-they-thinking recordings that escaped the record companies, like pro-nuclear war songs, Pat Boone rock 'n roll songs, and Frank Sinatra singing disco.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2020 07:09AM by snagglepuss.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.