Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: April 09, 2020 10:06AM

I “proclaimed” all that shiz for 2 years during the mission. I cannot see any point to that. Why would the lard care about a nice round number to make a proclamation? 200 years since it is claimed to have happened. Why not make that proclamation at 187 years? Who cares? What is new in this “monument of words”? What a freaking waste of time.

Verbal masturbation is all it is.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 09, 2020 10:29AM

They should have dressed a guy up as Moroni, covered him in gold paint, and had him blow a horn to introduce Russell.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: April 09, 2020 12:08PM

What proclamation?

Posted by: Ted ( )
Date: April 09, 2020 12:34PM

Rusty to the World:

"WE PROCLAIM...AND PROCLAIM SOME MORE...I AM A PROPHET AND SEER...BLAH BLAH BLAH"

The world to Rusty:

SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP YOU LIL' APOCOYPTIC DEATH CULT LEADER BEFORE YOU HAVE A HEART ATTACK.

Posted by: schweizerkind ( )
Date: April 09, 2020 01:57PM

It-has-all-the-significance-of-a-fart-in-a-hurricane-ly yrs,

S

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 09, 2020 10:55PM

But it echoes in their minds like the sound of thunder.

Posted by: Anziano Young ( )
Date: April 09, 2020 03:51PM

'Instead of erecting a physical monument in honor of that special time in Church history (as has been done previously), President Nelson said the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve Apostles felt inspired to create a “monument of words—words of solemn and sacred proclamation—written not to be carved in ‘tables of stone,’ but in words that could be etched in the ‘fleshy tables’ of all human hearts’ (2 Corinthians 3:3).”'

They finally noticed that words cost a LOT less than stone, did they?

Sorry--maybe I should change that to 'finaly' to be all fancy, like their proclamation's 'fulness.'

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 09, 2020 03:58PM

1. I've seen a dozen or more references in pro-church press releases. Most have a summary and rationale as to "why" Nelson was compelled to make a proclamation, but not a single one directly quoted the actual proclamation verbatim. A few articles had a 9 minute video (which I refuse to watch).

2. When you go to the actual church website, there's a link to it in read it in the language of your choice. So the English one reads goofy. It's as if their chosen font reads like a goofy typed essay. Every other letter is slightly larger than the previous letter. It looks stupid as if an 8th grader typed it up while experimenting with the font. Very unpolished.

Posted by: Sharapata ( )
Date: April 09, 2020 04:04PM

Agree, and even online TBM reaction appears to be muted at best. There is far more excitement over the announcement of the unlikely-to-be-built-anytime-soon temple in Shanghai, China while this "proclamation" seems to have been received with a collective "yeah, so what" kind of shrug. If TBMs cannot even muster much excitement or enthusiasm, then this was an epic fail for the brethren.

Posted by: cftexan ( )
Date: April 09, 2020 05:08PM

It got my dad all enthusiastic. He sent me the copy of it probably the minute after it was read.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: April 09, 2020 06:10PM

I feel your pain. Mrs. Boner gets multiple Morgasms from this shit, too.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 09, 2020 10:52PM

I would have thought she opted to keep her maiden name. . .

Posted by: Sharapata ( )
Date: April 09, 2020 06:40PM

Yeah, and after about five minutes of reading it, he should have realized that there is absolutely nothing new or of consequence with the Proclamation. Has he brought it up since sending it to you?

Date: April 09, 2020 07:05PM

Nope. I just deleted the email and moved on with life. Although, he did invite me to join in on the fast, saying some story about how a bunch of religions and even unreligous or athiests are joining in on it. To which I replied it would be more beneficial to do some good like donate money to various charities or volunteer in some way. He didn't respond to that.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: April 09, 2020 06:09PM

After we have social distancing relaxed, EXMOs could have a public burning of the Proclamation with the press present. Martin Luther’s Boner

Posted by: Deb's son ( )
Date: April 09, 2020 09:00PM

Does it differ from the Proclamation on the Family, which was how many years ago? Is that one still valid?

Date: April 09, 2020 10:11PM

Is nothing like Family Proclomation. Its more like the first discussion by missionaries.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 09, 2020 10:38PM

I wish they'd follow up all their rhetoric about Honesty & Divorces...

Lip Service, ala carte...

Posted by: rt nli ( )
Date: April 10, 2020 09:23AM

I feel it has some significance as the statement undoes a lot of work from the PR department to make the Church seem more moderate and Christian.

Nope. The gospel of Jesus was lost and Joe the Glass-looker found it, and the BoM is an ancient record of the inhabitants of the western hemisphere.

Posted by: Anziano Young ( )
Date: April 10, 2020 03:24PM

I don't think it undoes that work.

The temples they're putting up without Moroni, the new logo with Paint-by-Number Jesus, the disavowal and prohibition of terms like "Mormon" and "home teaching" in any conversation--these are things the public at large will likely come in contact with all the time.

Someone's Mormon friend no longer refers to themselves as "Mormon." Another's weird relative who joined the Church years ago no longer mentions "home teaching," but generic "ministering" instead. Someone whose commute takes them past a new temple never sees a Moroni statue--it just looks like a regular church of whatever denomination.

These people will likely never encounter or even know that this proclamation is A Thing. But in the myriad ways they encounter Mormonism in their daily lives, it will be a slimmed-down, new and improved, inoffensive, generically Christian version.

And you can bet Nelson knows this, otherwise this proclamation would never have been made.

Posted by: SomeMillenial ( )
Date: April 10, 2020 08:40PM

In another desperate attempt to co-opt something, the prophet will make a proclamation on gravity.

Those who violate God's laws will be subject to the full force of F = G*((m sub 1*m sub 2)/r^2).

Posted by: Some Millenial ( )
Date: April 10, 2020 08:45PM

The prophet would then prove he is following the higher law by walking on water. This he will demonstrate to the saints by walking across a lake in Minnesota on December 23, 2020 (JS' Birthday) from one bank of saints to the other.

Members would just eat this up without ever pausing to think of the utter stupidity and theatrics of it all.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.