Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 10, 2020 11:11PM

And it's way cool...

I made it out of some starchy white fabric and then used a stapler to hold it shape shape, including stapling rubber bands to hook onto my delicate, but hairy, ears.

When I had it properly formed, I used superglue and then removed the staples. I put up a two-part instructional video on one of my YouTube channels, but CZ doesn't like me to link to any of my channels here...

And then I went to my local Von's Market and they were denying access to shoppers without masks, so I got to go in while real, honest-to-goodness White People were being turned away!

The ONLY things missing were products that had to do with hand sanitizing. Meat, eggs, milk, toilet paper, etc., were all there.

It was my first time out of hunkering-in-place in five days. I'm reading up a storm and am quite content with life.

What's up with you, White People?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 10, 2020 11:16PM

I went to Walmart yesterday and the store was limiting the number of people entering the store. I had to wait in a line to go into the store. I was wearing my N95 mask at the time but most people were not wearing masks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2020 11:16PM by Dave the Atheist.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: April 10, 2020 11:39PM

Note to us ole folks:

Be careful yanking those masks off your face. They tend to take the hearing aids with them.

Date: April 10, 2020 11:45PM

What??

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: April 11, 2020 12:05AM

NOTE TO US OLE FOLKS;

BE CAREFUL YANKING THOSE MASKS OFF YOUR FACE!! THEY TEND TO TAKE THE HEARING AIDS WITH THEMMMMM !!!!!

(Phew!! I almost blew a lung on that one! Sorry I had to yell at you EOD.)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2020 12:34PM by kathleen.

Date: April 10, 2020 11:52PM

"Man arrested for urging killing of Navajo people he thought infected with COVID-19"

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: April 11, 2020 01:08AM

I did, too. I re-purposed an old money belt that I used when I went to Europe. It's heavy-duty but breathable, and it has an adjustable elastic strap.

A friend of our daughter's made DH a mask, with two ties on each side. It was very kind, but neither of us can use it without help - me, because since surgery, my shoulder has not healed enough that I can tie anything behind my head, and DH because he has neuropathy in his hands and can't do the tying. Is that sad, or what??

Little things like this - day after day, little bitty aggravations and inconveniences - they add up. Add that to the never-ending worry about "Will I get it? Will my loved ones get it??" and you have one very upsetting situation.

Still and all, we are grateful to be hanging in there.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 11, 2020 01:24AM

I made mine out of a sock. The foot smell will kill any virus while repelling others to safe distances.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: April 11, 2020 11:17AM

I made one out of old jeans. The back pocket ended up in the middle of my face and now people are referring to me as "Butt-Head." I miss my old nick name---Old Goat. Going to embroider the mask hippie style with peace signs and daisies. I figure I'll be wearing this til at least next January and want some street-cred with the other old gray haired things at our Senior hour at the grocery store who used to be hippies too--not the grocery store, the older oldies. We get first dibs on the toilet paper and wipes. Yay!

One of the seniors has long green hair. You really don't want to do that when it's that thin.

Posted by: Razortooth ( )
Date: April 11, 2020 11:28AM

When it comes to protective masks, Darth Vader had the best idea.

Posted by: WVDUDE ( )
Date: April 11, 2020 11:36AM

Please be respectful of people that are near death or have died, Dave.

Posted by: Cemetery Whistler ( )
Date: April 11, 2020 11:45AM

Whistling a happy tune while sauntering through a cemetery may be a good method of coping.

"Virtue Signaling" in a group you are new to is a big, bold check mark against you.

In this instance, it's like you just joined the cast of Happy Days and immediately called out the Fonz for wearing a leather jacket.

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: April 11, 2020 11:57AM

A jock strap makes a great mask, but it's recommended that you use a new one.

Date: April 11, 2020 10:46PM

I found out I was wearing mine backwards.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 11, 2020 10:48PM

"Then it doesn't have to be a new one."

--Judy Quest, Dullard of Delaware

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 11, 2020 12:01PM

I looked around my closet for likely materials. My best candidate was an emergency ice bag that was given to me long ago, but never used. It's a long rectangle with two sets of ties on each end. I sewed a strip of vacuum cleaner bag over the top. I took it out for a whirl yesterday, and the ties kept slipping down off of my head. So it worked okay, but not great. Maybe it would work better if I put a hat over it?

Posted by: bluebutterfly ( )
Date: April 11, 2020 04:59PM

I made a 'no-sew' mask out of some fabric I had laying around. I attach it to my ears with some stretched out hair bands. Words pretty well. I'm in CA and I'm still amazed at how so many people are not social distancing, wearing masks, etc. This has been evident when I've had to go to the grocery store. Masks are easy peasy to make!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 11, 2020 05:31PM

May I be the first, EOD, to say I hope you continue wearing a nice full-face mask long after the disease is under control? One can never be too careful!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2020 05:32PM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: Ted ( )
Date: April 11, 2020 08:24PM

Well done. No lie, I saw a guy in a food line in a newsclip who was waiting in a long food pantry line (Southern Florida). He had cut a mask out of 3-ply toilet paper, and fashioned around his ears.

Date: April 11, 2020 08:32PM

I was at Costco. There was a very orderly line. An employee came walking by, telling people, "no mask, no entry.". When the line turned a corner, I saw a guy with no mask! What the hell was he thinking? When we got near the doorway, he unrolled the top of his turtleneck sweater and in he went.

The store was completely stocked, including a veritable mountain of toilet paper.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 11, 2020 10:33PM

BUT it is 30 rolls!!! I've had to find 1 ply for my brothers and I found it finally at Walmart, but I could only get one 4 roll pkg at a time, so I went in twice each day until it was gone. I sent my husband and his workers to get some, too. I don't want to have to keep looking, so got as much as I could.

My boyfriend has to wear a mask at work and they have given them some for at home for other members of the house to wear AT HOME. He put one on his German Shepherd and took a picture. She was a good sport. I have it on my fb page.

They gave him 10 for this week and he gives me some of them.

I've just repeated myself from other threads again.

I LOVE DON'S FACEMASK POST!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.