Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Third of Five ( )
Date: April 12, 2020 02:53PM

Name your achievements since leaving LDS.inc. Especially if you know you wouldn’t have done it otherwise.
Or good things that happened which otherwise wouldn’t have.

I’ve been out for over a decade.

Some of mine:

Learnt to drive
Got a full time permanent job
Sent my daughter to university
Went to nursing school
Learnt to dance

I might have a lot of trauma, unbelievable family problems & some people hate me.

But life is ultimately better and full of possibilities.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: AnonY ( )
Date: April 12, 2020 03:09PM

Within the 1st 6 months after leaving, I was promoted to an administrative position in my federal agency.

Received an MPA (could have never done this as a Mormon because of the time it was taking me to be in the Bishoric, etc)

Excelled in powerlifting like never before - all my lifts were better than when on the Y powerlifting team.

Took up the hobbies of back packing (through hiking), bicycling, and gardening (all of which I never had time for)

Built/framed a large addition to my home, built a 30x60 work shop, and bought/remodeled several rental properties.

I couldn't have done any of this as a Mormon. Being a Mormon sucks the life out of you and is very limiting! I hope Mormons are taking the opportunity to breathe some fresh air these days...life offers so much happiness. There is no reason to fill your life with the gruel of a life-sucking cult. If you are a Mormon reading this, please wake up. You've been indoctrinated! Wake up.

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: April 12, 2020 03:10PM

A balanced budget now that I don't pay tithing.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 12, 2020 03:30PM

I learned to have sex and not propose immediately thereafter.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 12, 2020 03:41PM

That was GREAT!

Myself, I was thinking in a different area.

First, I raised my twins by myself and kept the house with very little help from him as I chose not to get divorced as I was too broken to deal with it.

I learned that my husband is okay as he is, as a gay man. This board helped me a lot with this.

I learned I didn't have to respect the GAs. Even though I didn't believe in the lds church anymore, I still thought I had to respect the lds leaders. This board helped me with that.

I forgave my "husband" and allow him to live here in the house I kept. He pays the bills now.

I somehow made it here without committing suicide.

I reconnected with my old nonmormon boyfriend from when I was age 20 and we have been in a relationship for 15 years now.

I had sex with a straight man, the boyfriend above. I waited 27 years to have sex with him the first time.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2020 03:44PM by cl2.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 12, 2020 04:49PM

The book, Plural Bride to Be, is on Kindle. It's selling very well, especially now while so many are staying home and catching up on reading time.

I also finished college, taught school for over thirty years, and stayed happily married for over fifty years. I raised two children and didn't take them to church. My two delightful grandchildren also don't go to any church.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: April 12, 2020 05:13PM

I served in the US Navy. Never would have done that if I still bought into the "Satan controls bodies of water" bunk.

I earned a Bachelor's Degree from a REAL university, not BYU-I.

I was published in a literary journal. I didn't receive money for it and it was a journal published by my college, but a first publishing is still a first publishing.

I was an editor for a small literary journal in another class I took. Mormonism crushes any creativity that isn't serving Mormonism alone.

I became more willing to call out authorities behaving badly. I never agreed with the Mormon idea of "obey, even when you know it's wrong" anyway.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 12, 2020 05:47PM

I'm like you.

My first published work was a chapter of my book in a literary journal.

I'm glad mormonism is no longer crushing your creativity.

I think I'd be in a padded cell if I hadn't left it.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 12, 2020 05:18PM

-Got married to a Catholic divorcee
-Raised 2 kids away from religion
-Never subjected my family to the cult...and there was some
pressure to do so.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2020 05:20PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Posted by: iknowthischurchisfalse ( )
Date: April 12, 2020 08:29PM

Got back into community college with a certificate in film.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.