Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SEcular Priest ( )
Date: April 21, 2020 08:52PM

Someone sent a link to my email about how does one hear the voice of God. Well there was a video clip of the GA that names begins with B and "you cant stand until he stands" guy. He said that he hears God voice in reading the scriptures. That was it. 2 min clip and he says yes I hear God's voice when I read the scriptures. I was expecting "I hear his voice talking to me face to face." He indicated in the clip that he does not hear God's voice in an audible voice. So these guys are no better at hearing God's voice than you and I are.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 21, 2020 09:16PM

Plus "B" doesn't drink, so a lot of you would have an edge in terms of hearing voices!

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 21, 2020 09:33PM

How about the others of the Q 15/Q 12?

is there any consensus?

WHAT.A.FRIGGING.JOKE. but only on the believers / donors to ChurchCo!!

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 21, 2020 10:27PM

that the GAs don't speak to God. If there is a God, he wouldn't treat a young 27-year-old mormon girl like he did me. He would be ashamed of the man. If there is evil in the world, the GAs lead the pack.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 21, 2020 11:58PM

I couldn't agree more. There was never a time when a fair and loving God would have told the church to discriminate against black people or gays or women. It follows that there is no God, the apostles and prophets do not enjoy even average communication with her, or both. There is nothing like an exchange with a prophet or apostle to drive that choice home.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: April 22, 2020 12:26AM

In the mid 1960s, I was hitchhiking through Utah. Great adventure for a teenager, I met all sorts of people.

I was picked up by some guy, who stated very confidently that there's a special, secret (or sacred) room in the SL temple, and the President of the Church actually talks to Jesus Christ! I forget my response, except that I didn't buy it.

So that indicates that back then some people believed in direct communication to the Prophet from on high.

That did make me wonder about Mary Baker Eddy's claim to divine revelation. As a matter of minor information for you folks, I visited "the (sacred?) garret room" in Lynn, Massachusetts, where Eddy would, late into the night, write and write and write--her "textbook," Science & Health." "The next morning," according to the tour guide, "She would look at what she had written, and could not remember writing it! It was all new to her, and she had to read and study it like any other student of Christian Science."

Later, I learned that she was involved in Spiritism during this time--even attended seances and once channeled her deceased brother. "Automatic writing" is a spiritist phenomenon. A popular, current, example of spiritist "revelation" is the unfortunately popular books "God Calling," delivered by "Two Messengers."

Date: April 22, 2020 10:12AM

thought that if I just could get to the next leader up the chain of command, since the one I had just talked to, like the bishop, then the SP, etc., didn't have any real answers, that all they had to do was talk to God and they'd get back with me. If gays really were damned (as they told me in 1983) if they didn't change, then why wouldn't God have a "cure."

We were taught that the GAs talk to God. I was taught to listen to my leaders. I've had many mormons tell me that isn't so. But my DEVOUT aunt who wrote me that e-mail about my daughter's wedding told me that I am correct.

My friend had read "To The One" by Boyd Packer and told me to write Boyd. He was a bishop at the time, so I wasn't doing anything "naughty."

I was sure he would have an answer.

I could not have been more wrong. I was so embarrassed by his response to me that I only showed my sister and BIL because they happened to be there when the letter arrived. Every time I saw that letter, I had a dark feeling, so I burned it.

I could have done untold damage with that letter. I would have loved to show it to my dad and mom. My dad was already furious to even know it had existed years before I told him about it. My dad was not someone Boyd would have liked to come face to face with. I probably would have committed suicide the day I received that letter had my sister not been there. I stayed home from work as I just couldn't face another day at the time and she just happened to come by when the mail arrived.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2020 10:14AM by cl2.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: April 22, 2020 09:48AM

Did you ever seriously believe otherwise?

Date: April 22, 2020 10:15AM

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: April 22, 2020 10:01AM

But they're still special witnesses to the name of Christ...right?

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: April 23, 2020 05:11PM

Yes. They talk to the name of Jesus. That's what makes them special witnesses.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: April 22, 2020 10:28AM

....But my friends uncle knew a guy who was in the same Ward as Harold B. Lee and that guy said that Lee said that the painting of the red cloak Mormon Jesus was exactly what Jesus looked like!

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 22, 2020 10:47AM

A long as these creaky bastards insist that Joe met God in the woods, people are going to wonder why they can't do the same.

The Mormons are promoting the old dead prophecy doctrine: there was a guy who met God, and God told the guy all that we need to know.

They insist that they believe in living prophets, but this is simply more gaslighting. Ask one, and you'll see.

"What prophecies have you received lately?" I once asked my mother.

Her answer, "the prophet has told us to read the Book of Mormon."

Date: April 22, 2020 01:35PM

I Believe what the OP meant to say is that Jesus Doesn't Talk to or With the GAs.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 22, 2020 02:37PM

“He said that he hears God voice in reading the scriptures.”

They have pills for that.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: April 22, 2020 03:28PM

I don't think they converse with Jesus, but I bet more than half consult their horoscopes.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 22, 2020 08:40PM

I chat with ghawd during sex.

Do you think he bores easily?

Date: April 22, 2020 08:49PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I chat with ghawd during sex.
>
> Do you think he bores easily?

'Follow the Prophet'*

*If U can find one, that is

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 22, 2020 09:53PM

Me too EOD!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 22, 2020 11:19PM

God's name is Saucie. Take it not in vain.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: April 23, 2020 10:18PM

Awwwwwwwwwwwww thank you Lot's..

Posted by: SomeMillenial ( )
Date: April 24, 2020 01:18AM

Bednar like any mormon apostle tries to allude to hearing or seeing the Lord and talking face to face but then when really pressed for facts tamely declares that the voice of Lord can be heard through reading the scriptures.

This is much the same way in the NT when Peter was asked if Jesus was the Christ, son of the living God he boldy declared him to be a carpenter he knew that did good lathe work.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.