Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Tyson Dunn ( )
Date: April 23, 2020 10:38AM

Who else could have decided that the time had come to replace **HOME** Teaching and **VISITING** Teaching, but a prophet of the Lord God Almighty who told him that the time would come and was not far at hand, that his chosen people would need to be **MINISTERED** to, without anyone **VISITING** in their **HOME**!

PAY LAY ALE!!

/sarcasm off - whew, that's tiring.

Tyson, tongue embedded firmly in cheek

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2020 10:38AM by Tyson Dunn.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: April 23, 2020 10:43AM

And Russ cut church from three hours down to two hours and then like magic - Home Church!

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: April 23, 2020 10:48AM

I know. Right?

I never thought a revelation could be more important in our time than the "Never more than one earring" revelation or the "No bare shoulders" revelation, one, but there it is. Ministering! Proof that our loving Heavenly Father really does know every hair on every head.

No mere mortal could have ever thought of this!

PS. True story. I was talking to my elderly TBM-to-the-Max mother last week and she was talking about her Visiting Teacher and then paused, caught herself, and then said she couldn't remember what they are called now. I wanted to badly to give her the correct word, but didn't want her to know I knew. Although she does ask me questions all the time about the scriptures if she forgets something.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 23, 2020 10:50AM

When your church devolves into an oppressive cult, make the oppression easier to handle. The man’s a genius.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: April 23, 2020 11:10AM

And he does TV shows from his kitchen! Yes, of course that's his real, actual kitchen, just like his church and the story he tells:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjBwuL0ogJs

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 23, 2020 11:51AM

I’ve been thinking about delusion all wrong. It can be a wonderful thing.

I know someone who had a visitation just like that of Russell M Nelson’s G-g-grandfather except not from a Mormon. These visitors have weight just like a real person so the bed goes down when they sit. They also speak telepathically.

We all know Mormonism can’t technically be true, but this being managed to keep his exact same beliefs after death. He was roaming around purgatory trying to convert people. The only advice he gave was “Be a good boy”. Wendy extrapolated that into six culty-sounding items.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: April 23, 2020 01:41PM

THAT was creepy. I guess by those standards, I can say that my father "visited" me one night after he died too. He had a belt in his hand and was standing by the bed and said we had some unfinished business. I tried to get away but the bed was up against the wall. I dove for the bottom of the bed and he grabbed my foot. I pulled hard and fell to the floor. Where I woke up! Because it was a freakin dream that was as real as anything Joseph's Myth or Musty Rusty ever had.

Maybe I should write it down for posterity. Or have it printed in some churchy proclamation-type font. Nah. How about I understand that dreams come from our subconscious mind instead of trying to make something mystical out of it. They bring forth issues, thoughts and feelings, people or situations that affect us in some way. Spicy and fatty foods, sleep disorders, medications, stress, etc. are known to trigger them.

But noooooo, in mormondumb it has to be some kind of message from God. Good lord, people who already have too many children dream about children, imagine that. But it must mean God wants them to have more. My father is dying and dreams that his cousin and aunt came to him to tell him that he has to get their temple work done. Imagine that. He was already feeling guilty because it wasn't done (his cousin was faithful in her own religion and she has living children who have no interest in her being made a Mormon). But no, "she visited me in a dream so it has to get done." I'm in therapy trying to work through my unresolved issues with my father and I dream about it. Imagine that.

Dreams are dreams. If you want to believe that it's how gawdalmighty or dead people communicate with us then the next time you dream about being outside naked, take off your PJs or Jeezus Jammies or whatever you wear and go running down the neighborhood street. That must be what God wants you to do.

Posted by: PtLoma ( )
Date: April 25, 2020 05:05PM

No coffee maker!!

Posted by: Warrior71783 ( )
Date: April 23, 2020 11:13AM

That was tiring to just read.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 23, 2020 11:30AM

I'm reasonably sure Russ would like to emulate Trumps top-down model of leadership with subordinates falling over themselves to toe the mark... It's all about image, ya know!

Perhaps he'll direct staff to write & produce a prophetic copy of The Apprentice & have it broadcast on BYU-TV...

Is it time that another prophet-president of ChurchCo ran for POTUS? It's always a possibility, even if he has a puppet (Rmoney) nominally independently on the throne...

For sure, Russ' imagination knows no bounds!!

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: April 23, 2020 12:04PM

GNPE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm reasonably sure Russ would like to emulate
> Trumps top-down model of leadership with
> subordinates falling over themselves to toe the
> mark... It's all about image, ya know!

Inviting a person into one's kitchen is a time-tested means of regularizing a relationship. Celebrities and politicians have long known this. Remember "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous?" More recently, Elizabeth Warren did a kitchen video:"I'm going to get me a beer," she said, and opened up a Michelob Extra Light. Nancy Pelosi recently did an interview, and showed off her SubZero freezer filled with Jeni (brand) chocolate ice cream which helps her weather the lockdown. Then there's Joe Biden, who uses his library, not his kitchen. A gender thing, I suppose.

I find these things blatantly artificial. So it's not surprising that Nelson surrounds himself with family in his kitchen to normalize himself with the hoi paloi. I can't imagine Trump attempting this kind of manipulated "common-touch" video at Mar-a-Lago.

Although this is not your primary point, Tyson, I thank you for posting the video. Nelson's validation of communication with the dead is, for me, the main takeaway. Much appreciated.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 23, 2020 12:09PM

'sorry', neither Russ nor The Donald will be welcome in my kitchen, TV or no TV...

just sayin'

Date: April 23, 2020 01:14PM

Edit: But I did have my picture taken in front of Elizabeth Warren's tony Brattle Street (Harvard area neighborhood) digs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2020 01:16PM by caffiend.

Posted by: Tyson Dunn ( )
Date: April 23, 2020 01:14PM

Date: April 23, 2020 01:17PM

Date: April 23, 2020 01:38PM

Two and three degrees of artificiality--minimum.

Makes you wonder about the authenticity of his grandfather's memoir (or journal).

On the one hand, I can appreciate that they're up front about using the studio kitchen. On the other hand, why a kitchen? Why not a simple studio set with living room furniture?

Image, image, image.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 25, 2020 10:30AM

One of the fun things to happen during this pandemic is seeing the inside of celebrities' homes. It helps to make the celeb more relatable. Some of the home kitchens have been surprisingly modest.

I don't see RMN ever broadcasting from his home. Mormon leaders seem to want to maintain a certain distance between themselves and the church members. They don't want to get too familiar.

RMN could demonstrate a lot more leadership during this crisis, but he doesn't care to. He only wants to speak at official events. He doesn't want to broadcast comforting, encouraging messages from his home.

Posted by: Warren Jeffs ( )
Date: April 25, 2020 10:12AM

Jehovah's Witnesses changed their routine of constant door knocking and now sit on a street corner with a literature cart.Other organizations have made changes to their usual routine.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.