Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Ex-Lamanite ( )
Date: June 28, 2011 03:03PM

I joined the church as a teenager during the early 1980s. I'm enrolled in a small tribe that was not affected by the Indian Placement Program of the church; however, I was certainly affected by the doctrines related to a supposed 'Lamanite' identity.

When I first joined the church, ward members treated me as though I belonged to a special class. A few people even went out of their way to testify, with tears in their eyes, that my baptism fulfilled Book of Mormon prophecies that foretold the Lamanites would "blossom as the rose." I was a very lonely and socially awkward boy, so all the positive attention nourished my fragile self-esteem.

My father was not so easily convinced. He respected my right to make my own religious path, but he was perplexed by my choice of Mormonism. One day, he asked me to explain the Book of Mormon. Anxious for a golden missionary opportunity, I related the whole story of Lehi, Nephi, Laman, and Lemuel. I said, "The Book of Mormon is the true history of our ancestors. As Indians we are part of the chosen people."

He listened patiently to the whole story, but in the end, he looked me square in the eye and said, "That's bull----."

As you might imagine, I was hurt and a little embarrassed that my dad rejected my testimony so easily. I pushed back, but my father would not be moved. He said, "If Indians are the chosen people, why is your church run by white people in suits?"

I mentioned George P. Lee, but he was unimpressed. "So they got one Indian out of how many white people? Big deal. One Indian doesn't change the fact that this is a white man's church."

My father continued, "If the Book of Mormon is the Indians' true religion, why doesn't it talk about our ceremonies and respect for the earth, or the animals and the old creation stories? When I read that book, I don't see anything from the people. There's nothing Indian about it."

At the time, I was hurt by his rejection of the church, but now I respect his honesty. He saw through the illusion and called the truth as he understood it.

Of course, I had a 'testimony,' so I continued down the Mormon path without my parents. I served a mission, married in the temple, and began to raise my children in the church.

But in time, my father's reasoning would catch up to me. I began to read the Book of Mormon with more critical eyes. It began bother me that my 'true' ancestors were regarded as 'filthy and loathesome.' As much as I disagreed with my father about religion, I knew that my elders were not filthy. They were some of the most generous and loving people I ever knew.

It also began to bother me that the Book of Mormon glorified people like Christopher Columbus and seemed to justify the invasion of America by the white people. I knew firsthand the evils committed against the Indian nations. Why would God give his blessing to the destruction of my own people? We were not the savages portrayed in the Book of Mormon or in American media.

In short, I began to believe that the Book Mormon was written by white people to justify the domination of white values.

More on that later...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: June 28, 2011 03:09PM

What an interesting take on things. I think your father was a very insightful man!

Posted by: nebularry ( )
Date: June 28, 2011 03:59PM

As long as the BoM people were the "white and delightsome" Hebrew immigrants they were pleasing in God's eyes. But once they became Lamanites (Native Americans) they became dirty and devilish. What a load of CRAP!!

Your post is quite enlightening and gives me a new perspective. Thanks!

Posted by: BrownLamanite ( )
Date: June 28, 2011 05:47PM

As a Mexican of Indigenous origin, the missionaries made me feel special, telling me that us "Lamanites" were a chosen people. After reading the BOM, the descriptions they use to describe Lamanites, I realize it was written by a racist, 19th century, White man: Those filthy "Indians," with their pagan customs, and their weird way of dressing up. And their filthy brown skin!!!

I was baptized a year ago, and now I'm out. The more I read the BOM, the more I was convinced that my brown skin is not a curse, or a "special mark," like my White Argentinian bishop told me recently: My brown skin just means I have more melanin than other people from different places in the world. The same with my black brothers and sisters: It is not a curse: it's just the way our bodies adapt to hot temperatures, etc.

When I met the missionaries, I would always ask them why was it that Jesus appeared in the Maya city of Chichen Itza, and you could clearly see that most of the people there looked European. The church, by having that painting at almost every chapel I've visited, is saying that our Indigenous ancestors didn't have the wisdom or know

And that's why my Screen Name in this forum is "BrownLamanite": If being a Lamanite means rebeling against authority against stupid old authoritarian "priests" in SLC, then I truly am a Lamanite.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: June 28, 2011 05:53PM

It's always interesting to hear Native people's views on it and I appreciate you sharing this. I espcially liked your father's POV- Why aren't there more "Lamanites" in the leadership?

I'm part Navajo and was very disturbed growing up and hearing how my ancestors were a "dark and loathsome' people.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: June 28, 2011 05:54PM

I'm glad that both you Lamanites are here posting your stories. It's very important to hear.

On my mission (which was to Germany) I kept hearing stories from other missionaries about "Lamanites" converting because they read the Book of Mormon and heard stories that their ancestors passed down.

What a load of crap.

Thanks again for your posts.

Posted by: elderborracho ( )
Date: June 28, 2011 08:32PM

I agree, it's great to hear from the wide variety of people who post here and get a glimpse from other perspectives. Thanks for the insight!

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: June 28, 2011 10:27PM

Great story. I just love to hear about guys like your grandfather who just see through all the crap and call it like it is. So glad you've joined him.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 28, 2011 11:30PM

Ex-Lamanite Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In short, I began to believe that the Book Mormon was written by white people to justify the domination of white values.

Good insight.

I remember in the late 1960's, my teacher grabbed a globe and traced her finger from Russia across the Bering Straight, showing us how the ancestors of the Native Americans migrated to the Americas. It made eminent sense to me at the time. Later when I came to study Asian religions, especially Taoism and Shintoism, I wondered if the spiritual respect for nature and the earth that is present in these Eastern religions also shared long-ago roots with Native American beliefs.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: June 30, 2011 07:02AM

summer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ex-Lamanite Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------

> I remember in the late 1960's, my teacher grabbed
> a globe and traced her finger from Russia across
> the Bering Straight, showing us how the ancestors
> of the Native Americans migrated to the Americas.
> It made eminent sense to me at the time.

Here's my challenge to the Mormons. Take 10 people at random from Mongolia. Dress them like Navajos and scatter them on the Navajo reservation. Take 10 people at random from Israel and dress them like Navajos also and put them on the Navajo reservation. Someone from F.A.R.M.S. has to find the 10 Mongolians before I can find the 10 Israelis.

Who do you think would win?

Posted by: Gorspel Dacktrin ( )
Date: June 30, 2011 07:31AM

I had a Korean friend who particularly enjoyed traveling and camping in the Four Corners, Arches, Canyonlands and Lake Powell areas. Every summer he would go there and he like to dress in blue jeans, chambray shirts and put on the silver & turquoise accessories that he'd purchased from Navajo merchants on previous trips. Everywhere he went, people assumed that he was a Navajo or from one of the other tribes. Even the Navajo would ocassionally come up to him and give him a "ya-ah-tee," thinking he was one of them. In a way, he was.

A lot of Koreans and Navajo are born with the distinctive Mongolian birthmark too.

Posted by: deconverted2010 ( )
Date: June 30, 2011 11:07AM

Thank you for sharing this, especially your father's insight. When I joined the Church my father told me it was a man-made religion made in America.

I have a friend that is always telling she is a Lamanite and waits for the day they will blossom like the rose in the desert. And when she gets mad she says is the Lamanite in her. Maybe I should tell her that she is also filthy and loathesome, she'd have a fit, she is Mr Clean and lazy she is not. =)

I remember feeling very uncomfortable when I came across the passage in the BoM were the Nephites were a white, exceedingly beautiful and delightsome people and the Lamanites were filthy and loathesome. That is just one of the things that went on the the shelf.

Oh so many uncomfortable moments, so many read flags, I must have a zillion GB shelf!

Posted by: The Truth ( )
Date: July 04, 2011 09:42PM

You're a smart man. No, the "church" isn't a Native church but a faux white one.

Posted by: keyboardcowboy ( )
Date: July 04, 2011 09:55PM

Awesome post! Two thumbs up!!

Posted by: Anon too close ( )
Date: July 04, 2011 10:09PM

My neighbor's son travelled to Mongolia while he was in college. He understood their language perfectly and they understood his Navajo as well. The language has Athebascan roots, which explains why a friend of mine travelled to Northern Alaska and understood natives, and also people in Northern Canada.

As far as genetics, there is a disease called Severe Combined Imune Deficiency Syndrome, affecting 1 in 2000 Navajo or Athabascan children, but is extremely rare in any other peoples.

But hey, Joe couldn't have predicted what science would identify...
How can BYU have a biology department while doing the quickstep around genetics? And geology. Or, for that matter, geography? They will earn some credibility when their prof. finds Bigfoot.
Oh, and Astronomy. Where is Kolob, exactly?

Posted by: keyboardcowboy ( )
Date: July 04, 2011 10:15PM

hahaha. I once heard a BYU prof speak about science and he said he separates science from religion, therefore he is a more informed. Could tell the guy was unsure of himself. It was when I was younger and didn't have a clue about the morg. Just remembered that.

Posted by: Joseph ( )
Date: July 04, 2011 11:08PM

I live on the San Carlos Apache Indian reservation in arizona. I call the book of mormon the book of jokes. I don't believe the book of mormon has anything to do with my ancestors.

Posted by: Ex-Lamanite ( )
Date: July 15, 2011 06:53PM

I'm thankful for all the responses. To all the other "Ex-Lamanites," have you shared your stories elsewhere on this forum? I would love to read them.

The whole Lamanite story arises from a most insidious form of racism. On its face, the Book of Mormon would seem to increase the members' care and concern for Native people, but in reality, it makes Native people invisible to them. Our true histories and cultures are lost behind the myth of an imagined Hebrew connection.

To illustrate the point, when I was still a member, I once visited the Mayan ruins of Tikal with a group of LDS people. Throughout our visit, several outspoken members of our group grilled the Mayan tour guide with questions about the Book of Mormon. He tried to explain authentic Mayan culture, including the fact that the Maya still exist, but he was continually interrupted with questions about the Great White God and other references to Christ in America. The tour guide became visibly frustrated and finally resigned himself to pointing at the various statues and temples without offering any further cultural explanation. In the end, we missed a unique opportunity to learn about another cultural perspective.

Our tour guide became invisible to the LDS people in our group, and as a Native man in the church, that is how I often felt - invisible.

Posted by: marco torres ( )
Date: July 04, 2011 11:19PM

I was always very confused on this. I'm not a native American so didn't fit nicely into the Lamanite box at church. Being Mexican I don't think I was considered a Lamanite until the Limited Geography theory made central America the new playground of the BOM.

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: July 15, 2011 07:25PM

The Eskimos of Alaska carve a smiling little figurine they carried for good luck. This was in the 60s as I was growing up in Alaska. Like some would carry a rabbits foot they carried a "Billikin" As I got out in the world (stateside) and studied it struck me the "Billikin" looks a lot like laughing Buddha with his hands over his head. You were to rub the "Billikin" for 'good luck' just as rubbing Buddha's belly is supposed to bring good luck.

Also when Bob Hope and Big Bird went to China their documentary of the event panned over the crowd in Beijing. They looked Eskimo! I'd seen those faces on many an Eskimo mask.
Also there is a group of people who live between the Haida and the Tlingit called the Tsimshian who have a very different language than the other nations around them in South east Alaska. As I remember their lore says they sailed across the sea to land in south east Alaska.

My former husband swore a lot of the Lakota, Dakota and Nakota people had very Asian features. He met them on his mission to Rapid City North Dakota.

I was around the high cultural achievements of the Tlingit so I thought highly of Indians. It took me a long time to realize the TSCC was so racist it even hates white people who tan dark in the summer and have naturally wavy, fine black hair. Glad I'm gone.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: July 15, 2011 07:55PM

Fortunately, few believed it.

Posted by: LochNessie ( )
Date: July 15, 2011 08:44PM

Thank you for posting your experience. It helps me understand him and my mother even if it is just a little.

My grandfather was a never-mo married to a mormon. Like your father, he thought the BOM was bullshit. I don't think he ever forgave his daughter (my mother) for believing the BOM. I just posted a small part of their story. I may post more of his beliefs soon.

Through my own family, I have seen different views of lamanites in mormondom.

In the 50s and 60s, my mother was discriminated against and condemned for being 1/2 lamanite. Things started to change in the 70s when I and my brothers were born.

My older brothers were considered "cool" for being part lamanite in the 80s when you joined. They got tbm girlfriends this way.

I came of age in the early and mid 90s. I was blonde and blue eyed, and no one belived that my grandfather was Native American. My older brothers on the other hand were dark skinned and their patriarchal blessings put them as members of Lamanite tribes. I now think that the patriarch knew that my mother was 1/2 and made the blessing reflect this for my brothers.

It's hard for me to describe my feelings about the BOM. I really wish my mother would not believe. I have told her that there is no DNA evidence that her ancestors came from the middle east, but she still believes.

In recent years, she has joined her tribe and has gone to reunions. She has met family members that she never would have known since her father left the tribe as a teenager. I am glad she is doing this. It is good for her. I will quietly continue working the no middle east DNA angle with her, though it seems to be pointless.

Please continue posting. I love hearing Native American viewpoints and I need to hear them.

Posted by: charles, buddhist punk ( )
Date: July 15, 2011 09:21PM

Ex-Lamanite:
Thanks for posting your father's words of wisdom. I agree with many on here that we should hear more from Natives, the real deal, to dispel the silliness and wishful thinking of Mormons. I hope your exit story is already on the Bio board of this forum. In fact, I think it should be on the opening page!

On another note, here's something that will truly cook a TBM's noodle: I've a friend who IS part Native American AND Jewish!

Mom was a Holocaust survivor, Dachau if I remember right, who immigrated to the US. Dad is part Native American, worked in the airforce for some time before he passed on. This friend of mine is full on blonde and light brown eyed, but has a distinctive Jewish nose (I don't know that that means, those are her words and I think she meant large and angular) light skinned, medium height and by all accounts whitey white. But she has a great love for southwestern art, anything distinctly exotic she has an art work or decorative piece of it, and likes to live close to the earth, as she says. She knows her Native relatives on Dad's side and actually identifies more with them than her European rels.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.