Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Warrior71783 ( )
Date: April 28, 2020 12:39PM

I didn't online? Oh well. I've been working myself to death because i feel things are going to get worse. I feel it. The longer the lockdown, the worse potential for things to get worse.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: April 28, 2020 12:50PM

Warrior71783 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The longer the lockdown,
> the worse potential for things to get worse.

You do not understand the scientific reason for the lockdown (and I am not competent to really explain it).

In brief, if the lockdown is eased too soon (mathematically and scientifically), the pandemic will both strengthen ["grow," intensify] and spread [more widely]. [If my words are not accurate, I request corrections from whoever knows better.]

The lockdown is your friend, it is my friend, it is EVERYONE's friend--and as I understand the situation, without testing, it is the only rational way out of where we are now.

Date: April 28, 2020 01:02PM

I can live in lockdown but everyone else can not handle it apparently. I'm worried about the people's restlessness more than any virus.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: April 28, 2020 12:54PM

Sorry you are in a self defeating mood.

Some say, don't worry, it will only get worse.

Others say, I know that worrying works, because the things I worry about never happen.

I say, "What's the use of worrying? It never was worth while" (from an old song), and, "It only will, or will not happen no matter how much you worry about it".

My mother-in-law LOVED to worry. If you "fixed" what she was worried about, then she would quickly find something else to worry about.

She was born during the great depression, so I think she had trained herself to worry.

Date: April 28, 2020 01:06PM

I think worry is a good thing. If no one worried about any consequences we'd all be homeless. Can't pay the mortgage? Don't worry about. Jesus will pay it. Where have i heard this before?

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: April 28, 2020 01:32PM

and Idaho, where you live, is one of those places. How many deaths in Pocatello? How many deaths in Hyrum, Utah, Logan, Utah, Cache County, Box Elder County, Rich County? Zero in my area. Utah is taking it slower, but I'm all for it. I said I wouldn't post on anymore of these threads.

The rest of them don't live in these far outlying communities. We have never been put on complete shut down. I don't have to STAY HOME in this county. I choose to wear a mask when I go to the store, but I go to my boyfriend's house and I go to my brothers' houses 30 miles away, or they wouldn't even have TP.

I worry about my daughter's job situation. The impact the cruise industry has on Alaska's economy is HUGE. She doesn't know from day to day where she will be. She was supposed to have a place to "live" and she is in a hotel room with her husband and was on lockdown until yesterday. His job has been canceled for the summer. She still is employed. She doesn't know how long.

My son's boss (the family is like his familY) and we don't want them to lose their business and we are SCARED.

So no deaths from Coronavirus in how long, but we should keep everything locked down?

How many deaths in Pocatello? How long since the death if there has been any?

We don't live on top of each other in Cache County or Box Elder County or Rich County. It is ridiculous to ruin the economy of Northern Utah when we have 53 cases and no deaths. I guess I should no longer drive my car. More people die of car accidents in Utah than of Corona, so why are we keeping things closed? Take it slowly.

If the rest of you want to stay shut down. So be it. But the rest of us don't have to if our leaders don't think we need to and, MYSELF, I don't think we need to.

As my boyfriend says, "We stopped the economy and shut down hospitals so that we wouldn't be overwhelmed. Well, now the hospitals are hurting here in Utah because we don't have as many as they told us we'd have." So let's just ruin the economy. Logan Hospital is DEAD, EMPTY. They are thinking about laying people off. My husband has worked there for aboug 37 years and will retire in 2, so we should have him laid off. Oh, okay.

Date: April 28, 2020 01:43PM

I think pocatello has had 2 cases that i have heard of and 0 deaths. I haven't been on lockdown because of my job thank heavens. I'm worried about other people for sure not myself. I am doing just fine as far as my financial situation. Having trouble with nerve pain issues as always but screw it.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 28, 2020 05:13PM

cl2, I don't think that people are worried so much about places like northern Utah, Idaho, and Alaska. If states or parts of states meet the federal guidelines and are safe to reopen, then go for it. I do have concerns about reopening Georgia, Florida, possibly Texas, and definitely the southern California beaches (which evidently shut down again quickly.)

All I ask is that decisions are based on the best medical science and not on short-term economic gain or for political reasons.

My state. Maryland, has mandated masks for everyone when out shopping for groceries and supplies, and IMO this is such a sensible measure that I'm at a loss as to why more areas are not doing this. Our cases are still rising -- yesterday we had 626 new cases (possibly due in part to increased testing,) and 71 deaths. That's ONE day. So you can see why we will be remaining closed for the near future.

Date: April 28, 2020 06:06PM

Well i guess i really don't know the full impact on the larger cities right now so i don't know what is best. I don't watch the news i just hear things and watch a youtube news channel that i trust a little bit. And i know NYC is really bad. When you are piling a lot of bodies into semi-trucks all at once. Its bad.

Date: April 28, 2020 03:21PM

Living in a state with the most gun nuts does not help my worry either. The sooner the government can make the people think they are free again the better probably for all of us.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: April 28, 2020 01:37PM

and I'm not going to go looking. I'm really turned off by the attitude that everyone and everything in this country right now is the same and has to do things the same. I've never been so TURNED OFF by the attitude on this board. It is a habit so I keep looking, but I've been avoiding these threads and I didn't know yours was about it.

They don't live where we live Warrior. Out in the middle of nowhere basically compared to where they live. Come to UTAH. Go to IDAHO. Check it out. See how it is compared to CA and NY. Washington.

Texas is even opening up. Maybe they are too soon, but let our states decide. I'm done reading these threads. There is really an attitude of one size fits all about this Coronavirus thing.

Date: April 28, 2020 01:45PM

Definitely wide open rural country out here for sure. God i need more friends.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: April 28, 2020 01:59PM

This is very true. We are being ruled and told what to do by the ruling intellectual establishment elites that whine about how selfish we are (and how stupid). If this was rural Cache valley dying of some cow disease do you think NYC would be in Lock down?

NYC chose to live like cockroaches on top of each other, But Mankind was meant to live spread out on the land and farm his own food. But the hipsters want to live in the blitz and glamour, City folks always fair worse than rural people in any disaster.

What annoys me the most is that no one is talking about how we are going to pay for all this closed down economy. We have to get the government going again because the Chinese and Bangladeshians and Mexicans all rely on American money, and if we aren't buying cheap stuff they'll starve. We miss a paycheck but they are in serious trouble.

Everyone lives off of us,... America is gods gift to the world!

Date: April 28, 2020 02:41PM

I too am worried about the global effect. Starvation on a larger scale has crossed my mind. Sure i am making double right now because of the virus but i am still poverty level. The car wrecks have definitely doubled since the pandemic i know that for sure. I'll still survive even without a lockdown. As much as my old self wanted to let humanity suffer and fail miserably because of what i had gone through in my past i do think i may have grown a heart or a concience or something that really does not want to see humanity suffer and collapse. My heart is not as black as it once was. I have heard also that starvation is a horrible death to go through and don't really want to see it in my own back yard. I kind of want to burn my shirt on capitol hill even though i kind of depend on them a little bit still right now. Eventually i can stand on my own and grow my own crops.

-the maybe not so heartless warrior?

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: April 28, 2020 02:40PM

This exercise in mass obedience is bad enough when the government calls the shots in a one-size-fits-all manner, it is made worse by the masses becoming everyone else’s nanny. If you are not obeying completely you will be scolded and threatened by your own neighbor!

Scary times...

Date: April 28, 2020 02:43PM

I am not liking this because it is a big brother or scout leader(my past) putting me in my place or trying to and reminding me that i really do not have any power no matter what i do.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 28, 2020 03:40PM

"Listen up, buster, and listen up good. Stop wishing for bad luck and knocking on wood." --John Prine

Date: April 28, 2020 06:12PM

My mind is very conflicted about the situation. Religion makes you submit and now we that we escaped religion we are supposed to lay down and submit to government thinking they know whats best? Does the government actually care for real? Or are they trying to protect their own hide?

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: April 28, 2020 05:05PM

I don't understand what you are referring to, warrior. I must have missed something.

Re the pushback against closing down in the face of an unknown, highly virulent, highly transmissible new virus on the loose throughout the world, I get that the situation was sudden, shocking and challenging in myriad ways for most people everywhere.

It's going to turn out to be a once-in-a-lifetime, or generation, or century, challenge in which each of us has to sacrifice, perhaps on a significant scale, for the benefit of everyone else; iow, self-sacrifice for others we will never meet and who will never know us or the effects on us of the new realities of our lives at this moment and perhaps forever.

I could give a thousand reasons why it should be this way, as the medical and scientific experts are inching their way through a minefield and trying to protect everyone until they make it out safely. But I understand the frustrations of people who face dire consequences from the effects of a global shutdown.

My own work dried up without warning from one day to the next in early March. That definitely got my attention. I immediately went out to stock up on non-perishable food and cleaning products and already, overnight, there were significant shortages of all items on my list. That was scary. How did everyone else know already, before I had noticed, that they should swoop in and buy up all the soap and sanitizer, tissues and toilet paper, Lysol and Listerine and etc. And since when, in my lifetime, had dairy products and fruit and veg grown or produced right in my own Fraser Valley been rationed or worse, unavailable? And who knew restaurants would close down, and even takeout joints, decimating 50% of my entire meal plans each week? Til then, my nightmare had been having to eat meals out of cans. My new nightmare is not being able to find cans to eat out of.

But still. I appreciate people following distancing guidelines as well as other restrictions set out by experts who are trying to steer us through this global pandemic with as much safety as possible for the largest number. I am well aware of the challenges of parents with young kids who are missing school, older children who will likely miss grad, those who can't work and those who put their own safety at risk to continue helping others. I can accept that until we know the full extent of what is occurring the lockdowns have been the quickest most comprehensive way to try and keep casualties to a minimum. A million known cases (in the USA) sounds astronomical. Yet who knows how much higher the figure would climb without the precautions so far.

One of my sisters and one of my brothers work in high-risk environments. My sister was in fairly close proximity to a confirmed case over the weekend. Now we will have to "socially distance" for weeks and she has been a significant source of support for me since our mom passed away and I have been so sad. She and I used to meet up for tea on the weekends but since that is no longer possible we at least did our weekly grocery shop together. Looks like I won't be doing that for a while after this foreseeable yet discouraging development.

I'm sorry for everyone who has been affected in any way - those who have lost loved ones, those whose lives have been curtailed, the many who find themselves in dire economic straits, those who are alone, the ones who are scared, grieving, desperate.

Who ever said pandemics would be a walk in the park? Literally, this one isn't. All the parks are closed down, at least in my area. And the beaches. And even the medical clinics.

But, no worries. Liquor stores and THC/CBD dispensaries (legal in Canada) are at your service. It's a paradox.

2020: Love the number. So far, not crazy about how the year has been going.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2020 05:23PM by Nightingale.

Date: April 28, 2020 06:36PM

CBD is definitely being my savior right now for sure. My worst nightmare is an all out food shortage. Then what? You can only last 3 weeks without food. People are already driving like maniacs even without a food shortage. Some places do run out of food because the delivery diesel drop offs has reduced to half normal shipments.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 28, 2020 05:22PM

Online where? Social media, or a public site?

I don't blame you for wanting to work as much as you are able right now. I was thinking about teaching summer school, and I haven't worked summers in many years. What I am doing is saving as much money as I can. Suddenly, small "wants" don't seem quite as important as some financial security.

Date: April 28, 2020 06:40PM

All my small wants have been completely pushed to the side right now. Make sure my basic survival needs are absolutely covered and have a financial cushion. I am afraid of someone jumping me because i have been living alone mostly this last month. My room mate went completely MIA after getting laid off. I think he is selling marijuana for cash.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.