Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: TX_Rancher ( )
Date: April 28, 2020 10:43PM

Well, working from home like many. Took some time today and went running with my wife; crossed paths with another couple and the woman was wearing a shirt that read, "Leggings are not pants."

By coincidence we were running by a mormon temple at the time. Not a mormon enclave, by any stretch (OK, I'm in Albuquerque) so who knows...but who else would wear that kind of thing except a mormon? Why is that the statement you want to make to the world?

Pretty sure my wife was wearing leggings. And completely Mexicana, for which I might guess this bigoted woman probably has on another shirt: "New Mexico is not Mexico," (of course it was, at one time, before it was taken it--but I digress).

Whatever this person's political, religious, or purely mental persuasions are, yes, leggings are clothing of choice and I believe a woman can wear what she wants.

I took a sociology class in college. One of the few things I remember the professor saying/musing on was that the bumper sticker we choose to put on our car speaks volumes on our inner mind and priorities. I would say that the wording on our clothing says it, too, as well.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: April 28, 2020 11:22PM

Even if this is twelve of one to a dozen of the other.

Posted by: iceman9090 ( )
Date: April 29, 2020 12:33AM

Women and teens actually wear it because they like leggings? It looks very tight.

~~~~iceman9090

Posted by: iceman9090 ( )
Date: April 29, 2020 12:42AM

Also, how do women wear bikinis? It looks uncomfortable. For the bottom part, the sides are way up. It also seems to go into the ass crack. As a guy, I prefer loose fitting shorts if I am going to go swimming. What's the point of a bathing suit?

~~~~iceman9090

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: April 29, 2020 12:46PM

Not only do they look uncomfortable, but they look like a laundry problem.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: April 29, 2020 12:46AM

Some leggings are so thin that they're fairly translucent depending upon how stretched they are when worn. My wife chooses not to wear leggings as pants for this reason even though any leggings long enough probably won't be very tight on her. Still I've never heard her criticize anyone else for choosing to wear them.

I believe my four-year-old daughter sometimes does wear leggings as pants. (I admit to not paying a great deal of attention to my kids' wardrobes. If one of my kids ever disappeared, I would be hard pressed to describe the kid's attire.) My daughter is, as are many four-year-olds, extremely thin. Leggings don't stretch out on her to the point that they can be seen through. Even if they did, she's four freaking years old. Who cares? We live on the central coast of California, and even in winter it's far from frigid here. Leggings are often the perfect thickness and weight for pants in our location.

I'm not the final arbiter of such matters, but in my opinion anyone who would wear such a shirt is beyond obnoxious. If she doesn't like what someone else is wearing, she should look away from the person.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2020 01:31AM by scmd1.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: April 29, 2020 12:50AM

I have a Facebook friend who feels the same way about leggings. Some people think they're tacky. There's no accounting for taste.

Personally, I don't wear leggings anymore, but I don't care if other people do. I figure as long as your goodies are covered, it's up to you how you're dressed. And as I've learned since I moved to Germany, sometimes it's appropriate to be naked, too. And I am surprisingly accepting of nudity.

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: April 29, 2020 12:56AM

Paranoid controlling B-itch;

any other questions?

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 29, 2020 12:58AM

Remember that the temple had a hissy fit over my mom's choice of tan stockings instead of the mandated white ones during her last trip to the temple.

Mormons freak out over everything. They invite the public to their open house or "community worship celebration" then go about pressing their sense of standards on everybody. No coffee or smoking on church grounds. Only members will pray to begin and end the celebration. The church will have to approve every presentation of "faith" before a word is spoken.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 29, 2020 01:05AM

When I was a little kid playing in the snow, leggings had a whole different meaning.

Date: April 29, 2020 10:52AM

I get that some people have a "thing" about others wearing leggings, whether it's disgust, loathing, or whatever. I don't consider Crocs shoes, lol, and wouldn't ever wear them...but I don't broadcast it on a shirt in huge letters. Publicly shaming others for their choice in clothing because it's not our choice seems idiotic. Worse when it's religiously inspired, as I'm guessing it was.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: April 29, 2020 11:34AM

Mormons consider bare shoulders on a five year old girl to be indecent. So leggings? Never.

Posted by: Leg Man ( )
Date: April 29, 2020 11:38AM

Your digression is not well-founded. Just because the woman doesn’t like leggings doesn’t mean she’s a xenaphobe. ;)

Posted by: Tyler ( )
Date: May 02, 2020 12:55AM

Agree, it's mind reading

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: April 29, 2020 11:41AM

I thought the last “prophecy” was that they were ok as long as they didn’t have patterns on them, or something like that.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 29, 2020 01:04PM

It would be rather fun for your wife to get a T-shirt saying, "Pants are not leggings."

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: April 29, 2020 03:14PM

Or maybe, “Yes they are!” Just to be all encompassing.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 02, 2020 07:09PM

That's pretty funny right there!

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 29, 2020 01:12PM

added to the Master List of things to be bitchy & self-righteous about...

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: April 29, 2020 03:15PM

If you can't deal with it, that's your problem.

You can always join a flagellant sect or take a cold shower if you think you are having "impure" thoughts.

https://www.carbon38.com/product/balayage-legging-blue-haze-terez

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: April 29, 2020 04:05PM

The Tee shirt is passive aggressive. Mormons are by and large passive aggressive. If she was not Mormon she should be considered and honorary Mormon at the least.

People wanting to judge everyone by their own flawed and arrogant standards. Sounds Mormonism to me.

I hear Mormons bragging about their supposedly "higher standards" and all I can say is I would never go that far back down the ladder.

If you see them again have on a a tee that says Mormonism is Not A Religion.

Posted by: Hednings ( )
Date: April 29, 2020 04:38PM

Date: April 29, 2020 08:07PM

I'm sure this is partly in jest, but even that standard is judgmental. People may wear what they want regardless of body type.

At a school board meeting where staff attire was on the agenda, an assistant superintendent made the comment that some women should wear leggings while others should not. He received all sorts of flak, and rightly so. It wasn't his call to make, and a garment, assuming appropriate fit and decent state of repair, is either appropriate for staff members to wear while on duty, or it isn't. An assistant superintendent doesn't get to function as the fat-shaming leggings police officer, in our school district, anyway.

Date: May 02, 2020 06:58PM

Good for you, scmd1! I've noticed that younger teachers dress more casually than my generation normally would, but that's who they are (they also have a lot of virtues that they bring to the table, including being very tech savvy.) My school district does not have a dress code for teachers, as our union politely reminds administration whenever the issue comes up.

Date: May 03, 2020 03:47AM

Our district didn't have a dress code until maybe eight years ago - just a couple of years before I joined the board. The teachers were promised a significant raise in pay for agreeing to it. They foolishly did, and then didn't see another raise in pay for seven years, yet they're still stuck with the dress code. FYI,I have voted against all of the district's sub-par contractual offers since then. I did vote in favor of the 2019 offer, which was nearly 6%. I would have liked to have given the teachers more in light of what they didn't get for the past six years, but the other board members who voted against it did so because they felt the raise was too much. There was no way a higher salary agreement would have been board-ratified.

I'm not saying leggings are or are not suitable. It probably - like almost everything else related to apparel - depends on the fit, the state of repair, and what is worn with them, and is better left to the judgment of the individual. Nineteen times out of twenty, a teacher will make a wise choice. The twentieth time, odds are that it would have gone unaddressed even with a dress code. Dress codes for professionals are bad for morale, and they're most often not enforced uniformly or fairly. My beef was with the assistant superintendent saying, "Some women should wear them, and some shouldn't." Who the he!! did he think the was to arbitrate whether or not a woman was sufficiently fit to wear leggings to work?

Posted by: westernwillows ( )
Date: April 29, 2020 05:20PM

Several years ago, TSCC declared that leggings WERE pants and said that females -- and especially primary-aged girls -- should not wear them to meetings because it makes them less reverent.

True story. So, every time I have to attend a church service (like a funeral), I wear leggings (and other clothing appropriate to the occassion.)

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 29, 2020 09:05PM

No, the greatest strength of the church in maintaining its mormon culture comes from the judgment of other women. So long as the mormon women believe leggings are immoral then they will project the shame to maintain conformity.

Posted by: forgotmyname ( )
Date: April 29, 2020 09:08PM

Leggings are of course a personal choice, and you can wear whatever the hell you want, but leggings are no more pants than tights are leggings.

Fashion sense knows no religion.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: May 01, 2020 02:12AM

I don't live far from the ABQ temple. I even went through it once, when it was still brand-new. A TBM co-worker of mine noticed that my swan song from Moism had begun, so she invited me to do the temple thing with her.

If anything, that was the final nail in the coffin. My resignation letter went in very shortly after that.

I have never understood what was so great about the temple experience. They make it out to be like the Great Library of Alexandria to the Mormon mindset: all will be revealed, all enlightening will occur. Nonsense.

On the positive side, the ABQ temple wasn't any worse than the Atlanta temple, which is the only other one I ever experienced. I think that Atlanta had a cafeteria and I don't believe ABQ does - that's the only difference I can think of. But there is a Taco Bell between my house and the ABQ temple, so no worries.

Date: May 02, 2020 12:15AM

catnip Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't live far from the ABQ temple. I even went
> through it once, when it was still brand-new. A
> TBM co-worker of mine noticed that my swan song
> from Moism had begun, so she invited me to do the
> temple thing with her.
>
> If anything, that was the final nail in the
> coffin. My resignation letter went in very shortly
> after that.
>
> I have never understood what was so great about
> the temple experience. They make it out to be like
> the Great Library of Alexandria to the Mormon
> mindset: all will be revealed, all enlightening
> will occur. Nonsense.
>
> On the positive side, the ABQ temple wasn't any
> worse than the Atlanta temple, which is the only
> other one I ever experienced. I think that Atlanta
> had a cafeteria and I don't believe ABQ does -
> that's the only difference I can think of. But
> there is a Taco Bell between my house and the ABQ
> temple, so no worries.

Yes, we must be neighbors :) I had seen some of your earlier posts (I did a search wondering what others said about ABQ--I've been here barely 8 months...you are a solid member of this RfM) and saw you had lived here/live here.

One of the admins can put us in contact and my wife and I are glad to help if you need anything; I work for the largest employer here at senior level and an admin would connect us if they want credentials. Just ask them and we'd be glad to get to know you.

Posted by: txrancher ( )
Date: May 02, 2020 12:46AM

TX_Rancher Wrote:

> One of the admins can put us in contact and my
> wife and I are glad to help if you need anything;
> I work for the largest employer here at senior
> level and an admin would connect us if they want
> credentials. Just ask them and we'd be glad to get
> to know you.

Mistake...I've been logging on to the site as TX_Rancher because I forgot my password for txrancher...recovered it. That's my correct username and account.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: May 02, 2020 04:07PM

It would be great for catnip and txrancher to get in contact. I love it when RfMers become friends.

As for leggings, I prefer jeans myself. But that's the point. Our preferences differ and that should be OK.

As for thongs etc, when I see a woman in such attire all I think is wow, she's brave or hey she looks good or I wonder how she manages to look like that. Even on my best day I wouldn't go out without covering up but that doesn't mean I think everybody should be like me.

Surely there are more crucial things to focus on. Especially in the time in which we find ourselves at present. You'd think. But, unfortunately, religion gone amuck somehow all too often encourages judgementalism as well as over-concern about what everybody else is doing. To me, it's supposed to be about what you yourself choose to do. Too bad some folks have an over-abundance of the preaching and prudery genes.

Date: May 02, 2020 12:20AM

catnip Wrote:

> I have never understood what was so great about
> the temple experience. They make it out to be like
> the Great Library of Alexandria to the Mormon
> mindset: all will be revealed, all enlightening
> will occur. Nonsense.
>

My mother once revealed to my ex-wife, who passed it along to me, that my father had said, "I'd rather get a tooth pulled than go to the temple." I only went about 10-12 times in 22 years myself (probably what he and mom did), so I don't think it exclusively meant the two hour episode inside...I think it meant the two-hour drive from Tucson to Phoenix and then back, plus pressure and nagging to go. I'll have to ask him sometime when I get the courage, lol. But those were the major issues for me.

Date: May 02, 2020 12:24AM

Just wondering if either catnip or TX_Rancher know Walter White. I love the blue stuff.

Date: May 02, 2020 12:35AM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> Just wondering if either catnip or TX_Rancher know
> Walter White. I love the blue stuff.

More of a fan of "Better Call Saul," lol

Date: May 02, 2020 12:37AM

Also an excellent show. But crooked lawyers are a lot more common than intelligent drug kingpins!

Date: May 02, 2020 06:11PM

It's interesting here...seeing lawyer ads (billboards, TV), wondering what their life is like here, etc.

Fun fact: In a past life, I was a bailiff in Superior Court in Arizona and got to see this stuff first hand. The backstory is that when my father retired from the military, he was "the" bailiff and working for a particular judge; but when he would go on vacation, he needed someone to fill in for him. I would do that, and for a few other judges when needed. I was a college student and it was a great gig.

More fun facts: When I was 18,I got a UIP (urinating in public) citation. I had been at a party, drank a lot, and well had to go. Too bad I didn't know there was a cop car across the street. Got a ticket and showed up to court. Dad told me the fine was something like $3.00 and when the prosecutor told me she'd settle for a plea and $12.00 I told her I knew it was only three dollars and, yes, I'll plead no contest and pay the three bills. She agreed.

Then I submitted a motion to "expunge" and it cost something like $20. Wiped from my record after six months of living clean, lol.

When I was in court, I saw that most of the cases were UIP and shoplifting. So I thought that I could make a business of helping other people with misdemeanors--remember that the majority of the cases I saw during my day in court were UIP and shoplifting--to get their records cleaned. I got access to public records and contacted people convicted and offered my "services" to help them get rid of the conviction. Never presented myself as a lawyer.

So as it turns out I made a lot of cash as a college student (for a college student). I was a real Saul Goodman, sort of like his selling throw-away cell phones (it was a few episodes you need to see when he found a need and got a great idea) and making bank.

Now my wife from Mexico could tell a few stories about drug kingpins...she doesn't like to tell those, except when she has a few Tequilas at a bar and then lets loose. She worked for a federal agency in Mexico and blows my mind.

Date: May 02, 2020 06:25PM

BTW I have been posting as TX_Rancher but finally found my login and password for txrancher...same person. Glad to be back as a legit member of this community.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: May 02, 2020 06:34PM

It's good to have you back. But either way, I figure you're legit.

And your posts are interesting.

So it's a win-win. :)

Date: May 02, 2020 07:06PM

It sounds like you are a very entrepreneurial person! I've secretly enjoyed the couple of times I've been in court (on one occasion, defending myself against a scummy landlady, and on another, going through the voir dire process of jury selection.)

Date: May 03, 2020 12:27AM

summer Wrote:
> It sounds like you are a very entrepreneurial
> person! I've secretly enjoyed the couple of times
> I've been in court (on one occasion, defending
> myself against a scummy landlady, and on another,
> going through the voir dire process of jury
> selection.)

I have appreciated this site and comments from you, Lot's Wife, Summer, Nightingale, Amyjo, sunbeep, and Blue Violet...of course others, too many to mention like elderoldog, some Berry guy, and of course the Boner. Been out about six years and you all crack me up. And bring a humanity to all this insanity.

Admins have all my pertinent info--who I am, etc. I'm a public figure here and have gone though all the phases of grief, anger, acceptance, etc. and happy now being OUT.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2020 12:27AM by txrancher.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: May 04, 2020 07:45PM

Sorry, don't know Walter.

DH is usually the keeper of the "clickie" (that's what we call the remote), so if he doesn't want to watch something, we don't watch it. Not that he's a tyrant about it. If I read about something interesting that's coming up, and I want to see it, then we do. But, by and large, TV just isn't that interesting.

Date: May 02, 2020 07:07PM

Catnip, I don't know why, but for some reason I thought you lived in the upper south (maybe Tennessee or Kentucky.) Go figure!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.