Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: May 04, 2020 01:39PM

I was tempted to mark this "O/T", but I thought if this doesn't qualify as a reminder of a moral issue, I'm not sure what would.

This is an excerpt from a column a friend of mine wrote on the 40th anniversary. If you are watching Ken Burns' series on the Roosevelts, Clay is one of the talking heads discussing the life of Theodore Roosevelt. He was also in the National Parks series by Burins where the other talking head in that episode is Terry Tempest Williams. So, Mr Jenkinson may have flitted along the edge of your consciousness.

https://bismarcktribune.com/news/columnists/clay-jenkinson/kent-state-forty-years-after/article_890b197a-53b7-11df-ba12-001cc4c002e0.html

On May 4, 1970, the Ohio National Guard fired directly into a crowd of students at Kent State University in Kent, Ohio. The Guard was on campus in response to student anti-war protests. On April 30, 1970, in a televised address to the nation, President Richard Nixon had announced that he had authorized the invasion of Cambodia, Vietnam’s southwestern neighbor. More than a 100 American campuses erupted in protest at the widening and deepening of the war in Vietnam.

Kent State was unique only in the mayhem that followed.

The shootings at Kent State began at 12:24 p.m. Guardsmen fired 67 bullets in 13 seconds. Four students were killed, nine wounded. The students were unarmed. Two of the four students killed, Allison Krause and Jeffrey Miller, had participated in the protest, but the other two, Sandra Scheuer and William Knox Schroeder, merely had been walking from one class to the next when the mayhem occurred. Schroeder, in fact, was a member of the campus ROTC chapter.

In the dark and eerie aftermath of Kent State, the largest student strike in American history overwhelmed the nation’s college and university campuses. More than 4 million students and faculty members joined the strike nationwide. 450 college campuses closed, some of them for the remainder of the spring semester. On May 9, more than 100,000 angry protestors marched on Washington, D.C., partly in response to Kent State. Nixon speechwriter Ray Price said, “The city was an armed camp,” and the atmosphere felt like civil war. In one of surrealist moments of the national crisis, Nixon, sleepless and haunted by the unrest, ventured out alone into the streets at 4:15 a.m. on May 9. The president wandered into a vigil being held by 30 dissident students at the Lincoln Memorial. There, according to Vietnam War historian Stanley Karnow, Nixon "treated them to a clumsy and condescending monologue, which he made public in an awkward attempt to display his benevolence."

Many good Americans of all political affiliations felt that the country was coming apart in May 1970.

The most potent and enduring symbol of the Kent State Massacre is a photograph taken just after the shootings. It is one of the great photographs of the 20th century. John Filo, a senior photojournalism major at Kent State, was working in the darkroom when he heard rifle shots. He rushed out in time to take a black and white photograph of 14-year-old runaway Mary Ann Vecchio, kneeling over the body of Jeffrey Miller, her arms outstretched in agony. James Michener called her “the girl with the Delacroix face.” The photograph was awarded the Pulitzer Prize.

My parents were so upset over the Kent State shootings that my father never really got over it. I was 15 years old. As soon as it was published, we ordered James Michener’s outstanding “Kent State: What Happened and Why?” and took turns reading it. Although Michener makes it clear that there was fault and provocation on both sides, my father just couldn’t understand how firing live bullets into a crowd of students could ever be justified —period. It is clear from all subsequent studies of the incident, official and unofficial, that the Guardsmen were in no danger. The protestors were armed only with epithets and a few rocks, and they were so completely mingled with innocent university students moving from one class to another that it was impossible to determine who was a threat to public order and who was just trying to get to chemistry lab. The four slain students were standing at an average distance of 345 feet from the nearest Guardsman, and the closest, Jeffrey Miller, was fully 265 feet away.

The Vietnam War had come home to the American heartland. Now, as my father saw it, we weren’t just killing an enemy we didn’t understand in a faraway jungle on the other side of the world, but gunning down our own college students who were observing their First Amendment rights to protest what they regarded as a pointless and unjust war.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: May 04, 2020 01:57PM

This is an amazing post.

Date: May 04, 2020 02:36PM

Several news outlets ran that photo today, and "the girl with the Delacroix face" is one of those poetic phrases one is likely to remember, even if you have no idea who Delacroix was. (google it if you don't know. It is worth a minute of your time :)

A quick search, and I found the essay, which was better than anything I could compose, so I resurrected it. Clay is always a stickler for detail.

Date: May 04, 2020 02:39PM

I did zoom in on that phrase - it is most poetic - I love it. So I had to google. I knew Delacroix was an artist but not the Delacroix face part.

I can see why people study art history. It's fascinating, all-encompassing.

Thank you for the 'resurrection'. It is haunting and thought-provoking.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 04, 2020 02:03PM

And thank you for telling us about the Michener book. I had never heard of that one. (Just bought it. Hard copies on Amazon are 37.97 or so. I got one on e-bay for $14.99. I believe it is paperback. I just wanted to be able to read it.)

If it is the 50 year anniversary,then I must have been 12. I only have faint memories of it, though I've always remembered.

The whole Vietnam era was so horrible. My boyfriend barely missed being sent. He had a bad number, but I can't remember the details.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2020 02:12PM by cl2.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 04, 2020 02:20PM

It was just another Monday at the Y.

I was not aware of any protests on campus. The rest of the school year wrapped up and summer school started and I graduated that August.

Go, Cougars.

Date: May 04, 2020 02:39PM

I was there at the time, and yep, just another day at the Y. I am now embarrassed at my cluelessness. Plus I had just gotten back from trying to sell racist Mormonism to north Brazilians. That's cluelessness on a whole other plane.

D'oh!

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: May 04, 2020 02:55PM

I know. I was in my Mormon bubble in the middle of my mission in Argentina. I feel terrible to this day at how clueless, as you say, I was then---yet find it so horrific to read about again now that the mind numbing/heart numbing Mormonism spell was broken.

It really feels like Mormonism was a spell.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: May 04, 2020 03:43PM

I will never forget that for as long as I live.

Kent state made the world wake up.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 04, 2020 03:55PM

Well, half of the world decided to close their eyes. That's one reason so many of those old problems were never solved.

Date: May 04, 2020 02:48PM

Date: May 04, 2020 03:07PM

That song and 1967's "For What It's Worth" (aka There's something happening here) were the most iconic protest songs of the sixties IMHO (opinions may vary) and Stephen Stills and Neil Young were involved in both of them

Date: May 04, 2020 03:12PM

Dammit!

You beat me to that because I was penning two posts at the same time.

See below.

Date: May 04, 2020 03:12PM

When I read BoJ's typically excellent post, my mind too went to CSNY's Ohio.

But his phrase "gunning down our own college students who were observing their First Amendment rights to protest" also recalled these lines:

Young people speaking' their minds
. . .
Singing songs and carrying signs
Mostly saying, "hooray for our side"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp5JCrSXkJY

It's a pity when some of a generation's most thoughtful and reflective music stems from events that should never have happened.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: May 05, 2020 11:45AM

I thought of Barry McGuire’s “Eve of Destruction”.

Ah, you may leave here, for four days in space,
But when your return, it's the same old place,
The poundin' of the drums, the pride and disgrace,
You can bury your dead, but don't leave a trace,
Hate your next door neighbor, but don't forget to say grace,
And you tell me over and over and over and over again my friend,
You don't believe we're on the eve of destruction.

Date: May 04, 2020 03:15PM

I will add that Terry Tempest Williams has a connection to RfM through our friend Levi, whose aunt May Swenson represents the best of Mormonish culture in its naturalistic vein and inspired Mary Oliver, TTW, and several other great American writers. I will graft BoJ into that tree because he is, whether he knows it or not, at heart a poet as well.

Date: May 05, 2020 01:30PM

OMG, you are too kind. However, anybody ever puts me in the same paragraph with May Swenson, I'll take it, however out of her league I am. I'm in a small email group where one of the members is an actual published poet, and incidentally a friend of May Swenson, which is how I knew about her. Every once in a great while I will write something and my friend will chime in "I am so stealing that line for a poem."

I can barely read poetry, much less write it, but apparently I can on occasion lurch uncontrollably into a well-turned phrase. I am surprised and pleased when that happens. :) Frank Bruni at the NYTimes has a newsletter and every few weeks he adds a segment called "For the Love of Sentences" where he will reprint nominations from readers of sentences in newspaper columns that soar above usual newspaper fare. I recommend it.

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: May 04, 2020 03:20PM

I was too young for me to remember, but it is definitely worth remembering.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: May 05, 2020 11:35AM

I saw no mention of it on any news broadcast I watched yesterday. Perhaps we have bigger news to worry about.

Date: May 05, 2020 01:52PM

I wonder where the anthem music of this generation and time is? "Ohio" was an anthem. There were others, but it has to be near the top of the list. I see some parody songs now that are pretty good, but they are more Weird Al Yankovic tributes than Neil Young or Bob Dylan anthems. Music feels so fragmented now.....

Another anthem from the sixties that was the Brazilian equivalent of "For What It's Worth" was an anti-vietnam War song named "Era um Garoto, Que como Eu, Amava os Beatles e os Rolling Stones" (there was a kid, who like me, loved the Beatles and the Rolling Stones)

It came out in 1968 when I was selling Mormonism in Brazil. The original actually had a machine gun sound at the opening and closing of the song. It was one of only two songs in my life, when, the first time I heard it, my immediate thought was "this is going to be a huge hit" (the other was Waka Waka music video)

I looked up the song on YouTube around 2008 and discovered that there were dozens of covers. It was still apparently a well known and liked song in Brazil. This version is from MTV Unplugged (Brazil) and has the lyrics, and those of you who can read Spanish can probably catch most of it. I chose this one mostly because of the audience participation. They clearly know and love this song, about a country they didn't live in, and a war they had no part in, and more than a third of a century after the fact. I find that remarkable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmkw5VW3II8

Perhaps this qualifies as an anthem for the 2020s, with a stylistic gloss from the 1920. It's not monumental, but it is happy, and right now, happy is good.

Postmodern Jukebox, Bad Romance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCTOpdlZJ8U

Date: May 05, 2020 02:17PM

If you want happy, OK, here's a couple I found recently.

Tina Turner (those legs!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2T5_seDNZE

Paul Simon and Ladysmith Black Mambazo (starts quiet, just wait a minute). Makes me smile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAhHGYrzj2M

Date: May 05, 2020 02:21PM

"I want your disease." What a timely lyric!

At a time when popular music has grown sterile, perhaps the anthems must hark back to earlier and richer times. Amy Winehouse did that a lot, as you know, in an edgy and ultimately unsustainable way. But yes, these attempts in a boring era to resurrect the beauty of the past are rewarding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJAfLE39ZZ8

Or one can just jump back to Sarah Vaughan and the classics themselves.

Date: May 05, 2020 03:07PM

I had an intro to computers class where I had to show up early to make sure the electronics all worked, so I put on youtube videos before class. The ground rules were that the music had to be from a foreign group (the US dominates the world music market, no need to learn more about that) or from a group/person within 500 miles of North Dakota (the state has an inferiority complex, as not even qualifying as flyover country. There was some serious musical horsepower within 500 miles of ND - Prince, Bob Dylan, Joni Mitchell, the Guess Who, Neil Young...)

Anyhow, Amy Winehouse was one of my faves, and foreign, so she made the cut. I always thought her acting like a total train wreck was a performance, much like Madonna. I guess I was wrong. That train wreck was real. (Prince too, come to think of it)

The first day of class, I opened with Suite Judy Blue Eyes (CSNY, except Y refused to be filmed. He was always kind of a pain in the ass) All 8 minutes of it.

I asked the students where that was performed. Somebody always knew it was Woodstock. I then asked what other major events happened within 8 weeks of Woodstock? Somebody usually knew it was 1969, and the first moon landing happened in July. The other event, which I don't think anyone ever guessed, was the first transmission on DARPANet, which later became known as the Internet.

And the class was off and running. Yep, the Internet turned 50 last fall.

BTW, though Gershwin didn't qualify for my class playlist, I did An American in Paris (excerpt) once every few semesters anyhow. Close enough. I never played Sarah Vaughn, but did play Diana Krall (Canadian)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2020 03:10PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Date: May 05, 2020 06:20PM

My first love is classical music, but anything with intellectual complexity or emotional power floats my boat. I love to go back into the Jazz classics--in this context the blessed Sarah, Dinah Washington, Fitzgerald, Baker (both of them)--and the modern . . . imitations(?) like Krall and Winehouse. But so many of them are deeply troubled people like Winehouse, Chet Baker and so many others. The muse exacts a high price.

Country and Folk are also, in places, really moving. Some Johnny Cash, some Patsy Kline, both Seegers, Dillon, the whole Buffalo Springfield spawn, the artists on Brother Where Art Thou, and many others are so very powerful. . . But yes, I have tormented the little Salts to no end with my eclectic tastes and would have taken inordinate pleasure from the preparatory work you describe.

Someone once painted a modern interpretation of Saul and David. The former is seated, the latter standing to the side and slightly behind. Both men are African American and you can see on their faces their familiarity and mutual reliance as well as their incipient rift. Rather than a lyre, however, David holds a guitar. The portrayal brings the timeless story into the modern age, highlights the complexity of the relationship, and celebrates the role of music in everything from love to hatred and then politics.

I wish I could own that painting.

Date: May 05, 2020 06:58PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Someone once painted a modern interpretation of
> Saul and David. ... Rather than a lyre,
> however, David holds a guitar. The portrayal
> brings the timeless story into the modern age,
> highlights the complexity of the relationship, and
> celebrates the role of music in everything from
> love to hatred and then politics.
>
> I wish I could own that painting.

That's beautiful, LW.

Here's a couple of the folks you mention:

Young Pete Seeger:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1tqtvxG8O4

Older Pete Seeger (sad video):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y2SIIeqy34

And again, with a touch of Irish flavour (in honour of my lovely Irish grandmother) (hint: singers aren't actually Irish but they sound like they could be and their instruments are lovely):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoQtANk9IJc

Joan Baez:

Forever Young (Young Joan):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4UoJ47SzjA

Forever Young (Older Joan - still gorgeous).
"For all the Heroes of Our Time":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1a93qjf-no

Whistling Down the Wind (new song):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5-e4qqvKck

So much for BoJ's happy sounds! But there is beauty in melancholy. At least, for me.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2020 07:16PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: May 05, 2020 08:14PM

https://youtu.be/N7qkQewyubs
https://youtu.be/Odv81WzRmLM
These two are two of the Vietnam era songs I like.
"Fortune Son" by CCR and " Blowing in the Wind" by Bob Dylan.
These videos show a lot of the most remembered memories of that era

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: May 06, 2020 01:23AM

On my mission (Italy, 1969-1971) I got into trouble several times for buying a newspaper, a Time magazine, a Panorama (like Time), and once for a Mad magazine. I just liked to be connected, whereas others either didn't care to be, or cared so much about obeying all the rules, that they wouldn't have done that.

But back then we'd transfer by ourselves, sometimes from a place like Lugano, Switzerland, all the way down to Catania, Sicily, which was like a 2 1/2 or 3 day trip, most of it on the train. Those were my times to hit the kiosk and buy up two or three magazines. My longest transfer was from Torino (northern Italy) to Cagliari, Sardinia. It was several hours by train down to Genova, where I waited to board a ferry for Porto Torres on the northern tip of Sardinia, then a day-long train trip to Cagliari, where I caught a cab and went to the flat we rented. So I used that trip to buy a couple of magazines, and one was the German magazine Stern. I had never heard of the Kent State massacre, and was shocked to see it. I was even more shocked that the story was already a week old, and none of us had heard about it.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: May 06, 2020 08:27AM

What hard, awful memories.

Posted by: JoeSmith666 ( )
Date: May 06, 2020 10:24AM

The hippie trash, protestors and anti-government jerks got what they deserved. Yellow cowards too chicken to serve their country - too bad it was so limited. If it had happened more maybe these bums would have shut up and actually done something productive rather than dodge the military draft and keep crying over every small thing.

Date: May 06, 2020 10:30AM

Two of the students killed were just walking to class.

Bullets are indiscriminate.

There is a right to protest. Doing so shouldn't be a death sentence.

Martin Luther King protested the war. Would you want him shot too? Oh, wait...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2020 10:33AM by Nightingale.

Date: May 06, 2020 10:52AM

I looked up protest songs from that time. Sadly, still relevant decades later:

Pete Seeger 1970: Bring 'Em Home:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4-w2FYIJbw

Marvin Gaye 1972: What's Going On:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPkM8F0sjSw

Date: May 06, 2020 11:35AM

I successfully dodged the draft after receiving my draft notice. I pretended I was you and they wanted nothing to do with me; I was told there was no place in the Army for whiny, judgmental butt holes.

So thank you for existing!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.