Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: May 11, 2020 06:52PM

Resistance is futile.

Elon Musk (w/o THC this time) on Joe Rogan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gqdo57uky4o

actually says, "We're already Cyborgs, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em."

Wait, what?

Didn't Musk tell us 6years ago that AI was our greatest existential threat and would replace us all in 5 years, 10 years tops? Now he wants to Neural Link our brains to the internet?

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/oct/27/elon-musk-artificial-intelligence-ai-biggest-existential-threat

“I think we should be very careful about artificial intelligence. If I had to guess at what our biggest existential threat is, it’s probably that. So we need to be very careful,” said Musk. “I’m increasingly inclined to think that there should be some regulatory oversight, maybe at the national and international level, just to make sure that we don’t do something very foolish.”

“With artificial intelligence we are summoning the demon. In all those stories where there’s the guy with the pentagram and the holy water, it’s like – yeah, he’s sure he can control the demon. Doesn’t work out,” said Musk.

“The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most,” he wrote, adding that “Please note that I am normally super pro technology, and have never raised this issue until recent months. This is not a case of crying wolf about something I don’t understand.”

https://www.cnbc.com/2014/11/17/elon-musks-deleted-message-five-years-until-dangerous-ai.html

Wasn't this how the Matrix started out?

Yet Americans will be saying, 'Shut up and take my money!!!" and camping out on the sidewalks like it's a new Iphone launch.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2020 06:54PM by schrodingerscat.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 11, 2020 07:26PM

I blame social matrixism.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: May 11, 2020 09:24PM

in b 4 ~ they come out with some new flavors ~

Date: May 13, 2020 11:20PM

ziller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> in b 4 ~ they come out with some new flavors ~

Grape Koolaid?

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 12, 2020 10:32AM

The hand that offers the choice of a red or blue pill ought to be slapped aside, in my opinion.

Date: May 12, 2020 12:05PM

donbagley Wrote:
> The hand that offers the choice of a red or blue
> pill ought to be slapped aside, in my opinion.

Too late. You already made the choice to assimilate when you signed up for a 'smart phone', which didn't make us any smarter.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: May 12, 2020 12:29PM

"You already made the choice to assimilate when you signed up for a 'smart phone', which didn't make us any smarter."

I disagree on both points. Smart phones and larger small computers, plus the internet are possibly the most significant cultural development ever, right up there with metallurgy, farming, the industrial revolution, writing, and printing.

Greek philosophers (Plato?) complained about writing. People would lose the ability to memorize, He sort of had a point, except the upside of writing was far more important. I think the same thing is true in spades for "smart" technology.

Posted by: Faraday ( )
Date: May 12, 2020 01:20PM

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:

> Greek philosophers (Plato?) complained about writing.
> People would lose the ability to memorize

It was Plato in his dialogue Phaedrus, putting words in the mouth of Socrates. The bigger problem was not memory but loss of context:

>by telling them of many things without teaching them you will make them seem to know much, while for the most part they know nothing

Writing removes context. We no longer experience a thing ourselves, and we no longer even debate it with the person who experienced it. We just see the minimal words. We lose all context. Yet we live in systems: the context is usually more important than the idea itself.

We see this loss of context in Facebook echo chambers. We see it in science that can take Elon Musk to Mars, but then hands all of a planet's wealth to a tiny minority. Context is everything.

I think Plato was right. Writing is the enemy of context. Writing is the enemy of experience. So writing is the enemy of wisdom.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 12, 2020 01:29PM

Faraday Wrote:
> I think Plato was right. Writing is the enemy of
> context. Writing is the enemy of experience. So
> writing is the enemy of wisdom.

I agree with most of this. The problem is I am writing now and you don't know the context I'm writing in here in my home.

When we hand the reigns of context to the written word we oversimplify human life. We have forgotten contexts that are not our own. We have forgotten our bodies from which we move. We have acclimated ourselves to worlds of concepts instead of contexts.

We lose ourselves in our fantasies, stories, movies, and television as replacements to experiencing the realities of the contexts of our lives.

We pay homage to the past in our worship of families, honor for elders, and the innocence of children and childhood yet we escape into adult fictional worlds of drama, opinions, and abasement to our contexts of self.

The problem is bigger than Plato and Socrates. It is the advancement of artifice into the worlds we dream of making realities.

Posted by: dogblogger ( )
Date: May 12, 2020 12:00PM

Go read Homo Deus by Yuval Harari. And then The Economic Singularity by Calum Chace.

The world will be re-written multiple times in the next decades and not just by disease.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: May 12, 2020 12:20PM

It’s like cars vs horses 100 years ago. Elon decided cars aren’t so bad.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.