Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Birdman ( )
Date: May 16, 2020 12:48AM

One of the Mormons’ talking points has been and continues to be that they do not have a paid clergy but their clergy is lay. Most religions have a paid clergy, specifically trained for their ministry. To most religions that must be a significant expense. The Mormons can save that cost and pocket their revenue for their limited hierarchy. The irony is that rather than being a liability they convince their members that their lay ministry is an asset; an evidence of the truthfulness of their gospel. Very clever don’t you think?

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: May 16, 2020 12:55AM

Sorry about this addendum, but it reminds me of Mark Twain's Tom Sawyer. Tom was told to white wash a picket fence, which he really didn't want to do. To make a long story short, he ended up having kids pay him to be allowed to paint the fence. The Mormon Model.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 16, 2020 01:03AM

I used to look at individual church budgets. Ministers and other paid workers generally take up about half of the church budget. Having paid ministers and workers means that members do not have to burn themselves out serving in those capacities. Instead, there are a limited number of slots open for those who genuinely have the time and desire to volunteer.

Average church donations in the U.S. are roughly 2.6% of income. So for about a quarter of what Mormons are expected to donate, people get a paid, professional ministry.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: May 17, 2020 09:51AM

AMEN AMEN AMEN !!!!!!!!!!!

summer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I used to look at individual church budgets.
> Ministers and other paid workers generally take up
> about half of the church budget. Having paid
> ministers and workers means that members do not
> have to burn themselves out serving in those
> capacities. Instead, there are a limited number of
> slots open for those who genuinely have the time
> and desire to volunteer.
>
> Average church donations in the U.S. are roughly
> 2.6% of income. So for about a quarter of what
> Mormons are expected to donate, people get a paid,
> professional ministry.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: May 17, 2020 09:58AM

Mormons pay for a Lexus and get a Smart car.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: May 17, 2020 10:18AM

bradley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mormons pay for a Lexus and get a Smart car.
Who says they get something as valuable as a Smart Car?

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: May 17, 2020 01:09PM

The Mormon vehicle would be smarter if it had an engine.

Posted by: DaveinTX ( )
Date: May 17, 2020 01:15PM

Not a Smart Car..... They get a YUGO or a VLADA. Or maybe even a SEAT (assuming they still make them).

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 17, 2020 02:15PM

It's a Trabant.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: May 17, 2020 08:24PM

I think Mormonism is more like an Edsel.

Posted by: MormonMartinLuther ( )
Date: May 17, 2020 02:06PM

It's a 1954 Oldsmobile!

Nothing but the best for our mormon friends.

It is rich in history and when asked if the windows go down they answer I am not sure the owner's manual ever said that.

Suffocating on the sweet scent of a corporation posturing as a church. 2020 Baby!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 17, 2020 10:19PM

"... I am not sure the owner's manual ever said that."

'Ere now, matey, that were a lovely bit of writing, that were!!! I wanted you to know it was appreciated!

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: May 17, 2020 04:00PM

Date: May 17, 2020 04:12PM

lol messygoop

maybe the church will release a special covid video called

Pushing a Handcart to Nowhere: In Search of Man's Righteous Persecution in a Post Face Mask Society

Date: May 17, 2020 04:36PM

It's just amazing. They have volunteers teach their classes at church, they have the local bishops, stake presidents, etc. work for free, they have people clean their chapels for free, clean their temples for free, pay for their own missions to convert more suckers, have members volunteer to teach their seminary, and on and on it goes, all the while claiming they are broke and yet have a 100 billion dollar stash. They even had a program where they wanted to help underprivileged members become educated of course they collected more money from members for that project (I wonder what happened to that program and where the money went?).

Instead of washing and anointing they should convert those little booths into tattoo parlors so members could have "I'm stupid" tattooed on their foreheads.

What amazes me not even considering the doctrinal issues, how in the world does this organization survive??????

Date: May 17, 2020 09:24PM

Stupidity is the fastest growing religion in the world.

You ask how this organization will survive?

Date: May 17, 2020 09:50PM

I agree with your comment. But at one time I was a member of that group. I was joined when my parents joined (that being my favorite excuse). The problem is that it took me 50 years to wake up to the fraud. What does that say about me?

I'm looking for absolution.

Date: May 17, 2020 09:57PM

By all the authority in the catholic and mormon church and this ovaltine decoder ring, I absolve thee.

Go forth and give $$$ to corrupt organizations no more my son.

Date: May 17, 2020 11:30PM

The mere fact that you know what an Ovaltine decoder ring is puts you in a special category. Obviously you possess the power. Thank you.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: May 17, 2020 05:00PM

Just to split hairs, not only do most churches have paid clergy, they have professional clergy. People who actually KNOW what their ACTUAL doctrine is, and many of whom over time become pretty good at public speaking. Consequently, sitting through a sermon may not be a tiresome chore. And no one suffers through endless bearings of trite testimony. In other words, in TSCC you get amateur theatrics for a Broadway show ticket price, while in most churches you get a much better show for the community theater price.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: May 17, 2020 10:17PM

In this case, you sure do not get what you pay for.

Posted by: ufotofu ( )
Date: May 19, 2020 02:21AM

It FIRST takes your money. Then delivers (is supposed to deliver) the product, vs. FINE/ sit down DINING [which LDS claims] where you pay after (because your are trusted) you finish your product.

If you saw what was in it you would never eat it, attend, or buy it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.