Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: May 18, 2020 10:26AM

From the comments:

“Joseph Smith said Jesus had blue eyes. We know he spoke Aramaic. And due to Asad's atrocities and those of ISIS there were pictures of men with striking blue eyes among the refugees on the news from that region that closely resembled the images the LDS church has used to depict Jesus Christ. That is good enough for me to believe it is a possibility and not something I would argue about. Yet I see faith as a personal belief and if Blacks or Hyspanics or Asians or Pacific Islanders or any other group prefer an image of Jesus that looks like they do then I don't have a problem with that. The same goes for other figures too. The stories and images are part of teaching moral principals and those shared values are what is most important. At least for me.“

JS said Jesus had blue eyes? News to me, but not surprising.

And then all the usual Mormon equivocating...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: May 18, 2020 10:45AM

Again I say There is not an authentic portrait of the man Jesus in existence. To the best of my knowledge none was created during his lifetime. Therefore no-one knows for sure what the man looked like.
Like most things surrounding him his appearance is speculation. There is no empirical evidence~!!

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: May 18, 2020 11:01AM

To TBMS, JS's word is more than evidence...it's the truth!

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: May 18, 2020 11:07AM

thedesertrat1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Again I say There is not an authentic portrait of
> the man Jesus in existence. To the best of my
> knowledge none was created during his lifetime.
> Therefore no-one knows for sure what the man
> looked like.
> Like most things surrounding him his appearance is
> speculation. There is no empirical evidence~!!

So go ahead and make him look like a marble sculpture commissioned by Hitler?

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: May 18, 2020 11:44AM

schrodingerscat Wrote:
---------------------------------------------------
>
> So go ahead and make him look like a marble
> sculpture commissioned by Hitler?

I don't understand this concept???

Date: May 18, 2020 12:37PM

thedesertrat1 Wrote:
> schrodingerscat Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -
> >
> > So go ahead and make him look like a marble
> > sculpture commissioned by Hitler?
>
> I don't understand this concept???

Hitler was a white supremacist who loved NeoClassical Art and Architecture, which came to symbolize Fascism.

https://www.google.com/search?q=New+Man+Fascist+sculpture&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwiq4u_4673pAhUFBjQIHZ62DPwQ2-cCegQIABAA&oq=New+Man+Fascist+sculpture&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQA1AAWABgiB9oAHAAeACAAQCIAQCSAQCYAQCqAQtnd3Mtd2l6LWltZw&sclient=img&ei=PrnCXqrLJoWM0PEPnu2y4A8&bih=938&biw=1620&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS886US886

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: May 18, 2020 11:57AM

Yeah. Sure. Why not? What's your point?

They can may look like Hulk Hogan for as much as I care. The further out on the limb they want to go, the better. If they and other religions want to portray a Middle Eastern messiah figure as a Northern European model, who am I to correct such an obvious delusion that may serve to give prospective converts a moment of pause?

Why get in their way when they are in the process of making collective fools of themselves?

Date: May 18, 2020 12:49PM

GregS Wrote:
> Yeah. Sure. Why not? What's your point?
>
> They can may look like Hulk Hogan for as much as I
> care. The further out on the limb they want to go,
> the better. If they and other religions want to
> portray a Middle Eastern messiah figure as a
> Northern European model, who am I to correct such
> an obvious delusion that may serve to give
> prospective converts a moment of pause?
>
> Why get in their way when they are in the process
> of making collective fools of themselves?

My point is, Mormonism is a toxic blend of a racist patriarchal hate group and this latest move to white wash Mormonism with pictures of a blue eyed Great White Jesus plastered all over the CULT of Joseph's Myth brainwashing centers, is just further evidence of that reality.
In reality the MORmON CULT in America is 3% Black, when the rest of America is 11% black. So the MORmON CULT has only 27% of the black population of the rest of society.
https://www.pewforum.org/2009/07/24/a-portrait-of-mormons-in-the-us/#3
By hanging up pictures of blue eyed white viking Jesus kissing a little African baby on their walls, perhaps they're trying to white wash the fact that they're really a racist hate group with scriptures 'inspired' by their racist white supremacist God, who cursed two entire races of people with dark skin, due to the sins of their Fathers, turned them white when they repented, and black again when they sinned against God again.
That's racist and White Supremacist AF.
Perhaps instead of having Viking Jesus kissing African babies, The CULT of Joseph's Myth would appeal to more black and brown people than the average population, if they just had the common human decency to redact the clearly racist and white supremacist verses from their so-called "Scriptures.
"Word of God", "Revelations" or whatever they want to call them these days.
It's canonized racist, sexist, homophobic bogus myths that deserve to be nuked.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2020 07:38PM by schrodingerscat.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 18, 2020 06:21PM

That's bad reasoning, TDR.

Jesus was a Jew living in Palestine 2,000 years ago. We know what the vast majority of such people looked like through both accounts of the time and genetic data. Nor is there any indication in the Bible that people thought his appearance was in distinctive. Those facts elevate the likelihood that Jesus was dark of skin, hair, and eye to a point near certainty.

Do you not understand that?

Date: May 18, 2020 06:46PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> That's bad reasoning, TDR.
>
> Jesus was a Jew living in Palestine 2,000 years
> ago. We know what the vast majority of such
> people looked like through both accounts of the
> time and genetic data. Nor is there any
> indication in the Bible that people thought his
> appearance was in distinctive. Those facts
> elevate the likelihood that Jesus was dark of
> skin, hair, and eye to a point near certainty.
>
> Do you not understand that?

I mean, let's face it, Jesus was a myth that existed long before the meridian of time.
Horus, the sun God became Mythrus which became Jesus.
Christmas is actually Mythrus, which got co-opted by the CAtholic Church because they couldn't get their Roman subjects to quit celebrating Mythrus and they just rebranded it as "Christmas" and violla, problem solved!
The Pope/Emperor didn't have to kill any subjects to instill fear in them and they got to keep their sun worshipping pagan winter solstice celebration.
And it's been the same ever since religion was used to keep the poor from killing the rich.
My problem with white washing the white supremacist church is that it ratchets up the white supremacy, the moral superiority, the sexism, the hatred of gays, the complete lack of empathy for anybody except "Us" and screw everybody else.
It deepens the artificial divide between "Us" and "Them" (Not us), ironically, by presenting a God who is a white male, and excluding all the goddesses we've worshiped throughout history, and all the Egyptian North African and black Gods, all the sun gods, everything, gone, just the White Male Buddy Jesus God of Christianity.
Oh and go ahead and keep chopping down trees and lighting them and decorating them every December 25th, that's great for business, because you buy lots of worthless shit.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 18, 2020 07:49PM

The only thing that we can infer from biblical accounts is that Jesus didn't stand out physically. Judas Iscariot had to point him out to the Roman soldiers in the garden of Gesthemane because apparently Jesus blended in with his followers, which is to say that he looked like a typical Jewish man of the period.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/health/a234/1282186/

My question is, why don't modern depictions of Jesus use what is likely a more accurate depiction? Why are people so afraid of the fact that Jesus was likely a short and undistinguished looking man?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 18, 2020 07:51PM

Because those people want to believe that they are, by birth, closer to God than others.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: May 18, 2020 12:23PM

When my brother got converted back in the early '70's he said the Romans had records of a prisoner with blue eyes that was Jesus.

So there. :-) :-) :-)

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 18, 2020 01:48PM

What's the friggin difference for a guy who can Walk On Water, raise the dead, and was resurrected 3 days post - mortum?

I've always said that the focus of Mormonism (whatever they call it now!) has been horribly mis-placed, I rest my case!!

Date: May 18, 2020 06:21PM

By creating an image of a white male God, this subliminally engrains a myth of white male superiority into the minds of women and minorities, which makes them more compliant with white male dominance over their lives and decisions.
I, for one, think that myth is bogus and do everything in my power to debunk it, especially within my family, 7 generations of which have been exploited by that bogus myth.
Which is 7 generations too many.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: May 18, 2020 02:42PM

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/what-did-jesus-wear?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Excerpts:

"Over the past few decades, the question of what Jesus looked like has cropped up again and again. Much has been made of a digital reconstruction of a Judaean man created for a BBC documentary, Son of God, in 2001. This was based on an ancient skull and, using the latest technology (as it was), shows the head of a stocky fellow with a somewhat worried expression.

"Rightly, the skin tone is olive, and the hair and beard black and shortish, but the nose, lips, neck, eyes, eyelids, eyebrows, fat cover and expression are all totally conjectural. Putting flesh on ancient skulls is not an exact science, because the soft tissue and cartilage are unknown.

"Nevertheless, for me as a historian, trying to visualise Jesus accurately is a way to understand Jesus more accurately, too.

"The Jesus we’ve inherited from centuries of Christian art is not accurate, but it is a powerful brand. A man with long hair parted in the middle and a long beard – often with fair skin, light brown hair and blue eyes – has become the widely accepted likeness. We imagine Jesus in long robes with baggy sleeves, as he is most often depicted in artworks over the centuries.

"There were many reasons why Jesus was portrayed in what has become the worldwide standard, and none of them were to do with preserving historical accuracy.

"There is no neat physical description of Jesus in the Gospels or in ancient Christian literature.

"Jesus’ garb would have been a far cry from the depiction in da Vinci’s The Last Supper."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2020 02:43PM by Nightingale.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.