Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 18, 2020 07:39PM

So the big leather bound edition is the lone piece of scripture (Mormon or otherwise) I still own. It's been sitting on the same shelf in my small library since my dad died almost 20 years ago. I have never been tempted to open it. I have contemplated putting it up for sale on Kijiji...or soaking it in bbq lighter fluid and setting it ablaze. SO...I am looking for guidance..sell it (how much to list it for??) or light it up? HMMMM?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: May 18, 2020 07:44PM

I consider a quad close to worthless, so I'm casting my vote for "flame on."

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: May 18, 2020 08:18PM

For the love of what ever you hold dear, flip through it or have a trusted friend go through it.

I found old photos, letters and cash in family books.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 18, 2020 08:28PM

was working in my 20s. I forgot about them. I was in my daughter's room months ago and there sat a set of scriptures with my mom's name on them. Then I remembered. I looked at the date of printing and they are the scriptures I gave my mom. My older sister had obviously given them to my daughter. I am glad she has them. Whether I believe any longer or not, they have emotional value to me.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: May 18, 2020 09:58PM

It is becoming a rare book and rare books are becoming more and more valuable. Keep it as a long term investment.

Date: May 19, 2020 10:21AM

I have seen them listed on Ebay for $US100 ...but the thought of a burnt offering is appealing. I have burned or land filled all the other religious texted I owned or inherited.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 18, 2020 10:47PM

And that will depend upon the edition.

Otherwise, dispose it, so it it is not an instrument in anybody else's spiritual misdirection. Burn it, if that gives you an emotional satisfaction, or destroy the binding (or make it useless) and send it out with the recycle. It's possible sentimental value might make somebody find LDS appealing for nostalgic or other reasons.

Treat it like you would a Watchtower, a copy of "Dianetics," or a copy of "Science & Health" (Christian Science).

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: May 18, 2020 11:28PM

I have a leatherbound quad with my name engraved in gold lettering on the cover. It will look like trash if I remove my name (which kinda makes me feel bad.)

But even so, I don't want it.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: May 19, 2020 12:33AM

I just tossed mine. I figured I could look anything up online, should the need ever arise. So far that's been true.

A friend tried to burn his. That paper does not burn well at all. Suggest a good hot fire to toss it in to.

Posted by: jiminycricket ( )
Date: May 19, 2020 01:06AM

When I learned about the Book of Abraham hoax in the Pearl of Great Price and had seen the evidence at MormonThink about the Book of Mormon, I got rid of my quad.

I NEVER liked reading scriptures. My quad was practically new and forty years old. The thought of all those cross-reference citations from the D&C, BoM, PoGP and Bible just grossed me out.

I knew TSCC was not true. I was sick to my stomach at the great deception of Joseph Smith and the ongoing narrative the Mormon church pushes. Even church apologist/writer, Richard Bushman, had said the church needed to change because the current narrative is not true.

So, I had a moment to myself and took an oversize triple combination and bible, along with my expensive quad, and tore out the pages. I destroyed everything. I was in a controlled rage.

I put the pages on the kitchen counter, took a picture of the mess and what it now represents to me, and tossed the pages in the trash. I took a picture of that too. Unfortunately, I got a virus on my PC and can't access the jpeg photos. Oh, well.

It was therapeutic back then.

Today, I'd just toss the stuff. However, I still have my dad's quad which he had marked up significantly. Thing is, he TOO left the church when I did in his mid 80's when he read everything at MormonThink. That was tough on him for a BIC, life-long believer.

Date: May 19, 2020 10:27AM

In my almost 72 years I have made an attempt to read the B of M once. I got 3 pages in and asked myself "what the fuck am I doing this for"?...and that was that. Other than what was taught in SS I have no idea what's in the Bible or the B of M...and the D&C (bizarre that the letters also describe a female medical procedure)...no clue...and the POGP?...who came up with that stupid title?

Posted by: Celestial Coffee ( )
Date: May 19, 2020 01:12AM

It's not worth any emotional investment. Just the equivalent of junk mail or those stupid Jack Chick comics.

You can always use the web if you ever need to look up a reference for some odd reason.

Posted by: SunGoddess ( )
Date: May 19, 2020 06:44PM

I would love to start a bonfire burning all bibles, book of Mormon, doctrine and covenants, Pearl of great Price, and any other useless Christian and Mormon doctrine. In the old testament it talks a lot about how God enjoys the smell of burning flesh which is sick and morbid. I say burn anything about that violent God.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.