Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Concerned ( )
Date: May 19, 2020 06:13PM

According to Church website. What is the hurry?

From what I have read those areas of the world that are opening up are seeing an increase or spike is cases of sickness. I just read on Drudge that one Church in the US has about 38 out of 90 people in their congregation now have the virus. In another article a pastor just died after trying to heal people with laying on of hands.

One person in the LDS Church article says she is thankful we have a prophet who is guiding us. WHAT? He is a doctor and should know better. We need to wait to see if a second wave is going to occur before we start openning LDS Churches. What is the rush?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: May 19, 2020 07:24PM

Concerned Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What is the rush?

The same reason as everywhere else: the economy. The church's revenues have to be hurting. Or at least its future revenue as members realize they much prefer staying home and churching themselves rather than paying ChurchCo for the privilege.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 19, 2020 08:59PM

Exactly.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: May 19, 2020 07:36PM

What church is starting what meetings, and where?

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: May 19, 2020 07:48PM

Date: May 19, 2020 09:45PM

Thx

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: May 19, 2020 07:56PM

This was on our local news in SE Idaho. No kidding, letting everyone know what the LDS church is doing all the time is the kind of thing reported as news.

https://localnews8.com/news/breaking-news/2020/05/19/lds-church-provides-guidelines-for-safely-returning-to-meetings-and-activities/

Thank gawd they can get together with to discuss faith and prayer while missing the obvious fact that a mere virus is more powerful than either.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: May 19, 2020 08:04PM

"According to Church website. What is the hurry?"

To quit losing souls. I imagine inactivity rates will go up since many people realize they don't NEED LDS church on Sundays

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: May 19, 2020 08:15PM

Exactly. People are realizing they can do plenty of other things on Sunday with their family. It's been interesting to watch my LDS neighbors enjoy themselves on Sundays lately.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 19, 2020 08:36PM

We aren't getting enough covid deaths. Lets create even more.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 19, 2020 09:34PM

Church opening up: "I know I've told you a lot of horseshit over the years. Pay and pray, I'd say. It's the money, okay? I have a problem with addiction. This makes you a co-dependent, and I'm sorry for that. I am addicted to money and power and control. Faith warning: I will lie to you again for tithing funds."

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: May 19, 2020 09:38PM

They can't possibly be hurting for money. They have enough money to buy a country.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 19, 2020 09:44PM

But olderelder is right.

The longer people stay at home on Sunday, the more they realize the church is not essential to their lives. And the longer that happens, the weaker the church's hold becomes on members' loyalty and on their future tithing and other donations.

The church has no choice but to open up as soon as possible. It must stem the losses.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 19, 2020 09:47PM

Do you have a specific country in mind?

How about Grand Fenwick or Freedonia? perhaps Burma?

please don't think about Greenland, Norway, Sweden, Denmark or Finland, OK?

Estonia is pretty glad to be home to world-renowned composer Arvo Part, a favorite of mine, so that's out too;

If they want to buy a larger, more developed country, they'll probably need a Very well-qualified co-signer...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2020 09:54PM by GNPE.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 19, 2020 11:19PM

Well, it would have to be a White country, in a temperate climate zone with not too severe a landscape ...

Posted by: ufotofu ( )
Date: May 20, 2020 02:27AM

They couldn't afford a white country... without white people.

Posted by: loislane ( )
Date: May 20, 2020 07:08PM

Fredonia -- Short Creek used to be called Fredonia. And then it was Short Creek. And then it was Colorado City.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: May 19, 2020 11:10PM

I heard about this too. One of the many challenges that ld$ inc faces is that their buildings are not equipped to deal with the realities of social distancing and the spreading of germs.
1) the hall ways are too narrow, it gets really crowded and there are lots of germs.
2) the little class rooms are terrible. Especially in primary.
3) nursery is the worst place because of all the toddlers with runny noses, touching all the cheap plastic toys.

Think about those big mormon families. They bring all their kids to church even the sick ones, because it's free babysitting and they all expect to go to mormon heaven. The churches are incubators for disease.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 19, 2020 11:27PM

Date: May 20, 2020 02:29AM

They want (NEED) the churches - and surely, temples - clean! Fast!!

Dry clean
Dry at least

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: May 20, 2020 07:22AM

“One person in the LDS Church article says she is thankful we have a prophet who is guiding us”

We thank thee oh God for a pointy haired boss.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 20, 2020 07:44AM

First, passing the sacrament seems like a really bad idea. Second, can you really socially distance with 99 people in the chapel? And third, the idea that the buildings will be adequately cleaned and sanitized is ridiculous. The ward buildings have not been known for their sparkling cleanliness using volunteer cleaners prior to this, why would they be any better now?

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: May 20, 2020 10:56AM

The ward buildings haven’t been clean since they started using “volunteer” custodians.

Posted by: Lowpriest ( )
Date: May 20, 2020 08:39AM

...to leave room for others.

How crazy is this?

I bet the first prayer offered in this madhouse will ask for divine guidance and relief. They will ask the lord to protect them from it.

How about this idea, morons...

Stay home and protect yourselves!

No need to invent a religious system to help you fix this problem...

Dear father in heaven, please protect me from this entirely avoidable danger....

Well, at least they can tell each other that their church is true, that they are all unworthy, and that their god needs money...

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: May 20, 2020 08:40AM

Open up a church full of people without boundaries and use sub-par cleaning materials during a pandemic; can't think of anything that can go wrong. /s

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: May 20, 2020 09:04AM

I hope someone bears their testimony and goes into a coughing fit.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: May 20, 2020 09:17AM

(No one needs to know it’s just allergies. But, it might have the desired effect.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2020 12:19PM by kathleen.

Posted by: Fascinated in the Midwest ( )
Date: May 20, 2020 11:30AM

Perhaps some of their members will have enjoyed having Sundays off - and make it permanent, as others have said.

Also would be nice if many other members would "vote with their feet" and stay home if they don't feel quite right about returning to a petri dish of germs. Even if I had swallowed the Kool Aid, that's what I'd do right now. If I don't feel comfortable even going in a restaurant to eat, why would I go to a loud place with singing and lots of talking, sick kiddos and unknown disinfecting procedures for two hours or longer?

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 20, 2020 11:56AM

Disneyland/world is safer.

Date: May 20, 2020 12:05PM

From the linked DezNewz article:

The sacrament service could look different for a while. Bishops are authorized to consider adjusting the way it passed in their congregations. For example, they could ask members to sit in socially distanced arrangements and have priesthood holders offer the trays of bread and water directly to each member instead of having individuals pass trays down the row.

• Priesthood holders who do not feel well should remain at home.

• Priesthood holders may wear face masks while preparing, blessing and passing the sacrament.

• Priesthood holders should thoroughly wash their hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds before preparing, blessing and passing the sacrament. If hand washing is not available, they should use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer. They should then avoid shaking hands or touching their eyes, nose or mouth.

• All members should cover their cough or sneeze with a tissue. They should then throw the tissue in the trash and wash or sanitize their hands. Surfaces on sacrament trays, including handles, should be cleaned and disinfected frequently.
-----------------------------

Excuse me. Bishops are authorized to consider adjusting the way Sacrament is passed? They could ask members to sit in socially distanced arrangements? Priesthood holders may wear face masks while blessing and passing the sacrament?

Shouldn't it say something like Bishops will see to it that proper social distancing is observed, priesthood holders will wear face masks while preparing and passing the sacrament, and sacrament trays will only be touched by those assigned to pass it, who have properly sanitized their hands beforehand.

Members should really not be touching the trays at all, including when taking the bread. Presumably, they will only touch one plastic cup, though both old people and children will likely have trouble even with that.

And of course vulnerable populations (age and/or health condition) should not be there at all through at least 2020.

25,000+ congregations and two priests breaking bread each week, and two deacons passing (very conservative numbers per ward) - that's minimum 100,000 contact people per week. How long before one of them does not properly sanitize, and happens to be shedding virus?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 20, 2020 04:43PM

The photo that shows a masked priesthood holder offering a sacrament tray at close range to a family of four -- if anyone in that family is positive to Covid, that priesthood holder is in trouble. None of them had masks on.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: May 20, 2020 11:24PM

"Members who don't feel well should stay home."

"All members should cover their cough or sneeze with a tissue."

That's a disconnect. Unless you're feeling OK but still cough &/or sneeze. Here in BC they ask people to stay in even if it's (supposed) allergies that are causing that.

Also, sanitizer is a stopgap measure only. It shouldn't replace handwashing, especially after cough/sneeze. So that's even more ongoing coming/going traffic all through SM. Sacred silence it ain't.

Maybe CoJCoLDS will excuse people from church meetings and duties if they're ill. It'd be the (cough cough) Christian thing to do for everybody's sake.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2020 11:25PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: Finance Clerk ( )
Date: May 20, 2020 12:10PM

Just the thought of sacrament being passed. That's a HUGE problem. If I went, I wouldn't take it or even pass the tray.

And that microphone...Yuck!

And I wouldn't go unless they had a PROFESSIONAL cleaning crew deep cleaning and sanitizing EVERYTHING...and doing disinfecting fogging after EVERY WARD or meeting.

If I was the church...I'd reverse course...and quickly.

Date: May 20, 2020 04:33PM

It never stopped

Instead of going out
It's going Up, Up & Away

Members are happy at home

Many will become nonmembers

And be HAPPIER Than EVER

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: May 20, 2020 07:21PM

Reading all this makes me happy all over that I am no longer

a member. Yay Me.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.