Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SunGoddess ( )
Date: May 23, 2020 03:59PM

Yet another one of the many reasons I got kicked out of Mormon and Christian churches. I've had Mormon and Christian leaders tell me God gave us the free will to kill each other even though one of his commandments is thou shalt not kill. Whenever I told them I refuse to believe in a violent God they would laugh at me and tell me I don't understand free will. I do understand free will, but maybe I'm like Cain in the Bible that served God grains instead of the dead animal that Abel served God. I'm not vegan, but I think it would be cool if meat grew on trees. I believe Cain was cursed for not liking murder and violence. According to the Bible peace didn't last very long. Did God get bored or something? I don't know about other people but I choose paradise and it can be fun without killing or being mean to each other. I've mentioned this and been called a control freak. I'm a really easy going person and accept people as they are, I just don't like the killing and meanness. Guess that makes me a heretic in the eyes of Mormons and Christians.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 23, 2020 04:09PM

I am not convinced that free will is part of what we are.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: May 23, 2020 06:45PM

So far as I am concerned
you can do anything and I mean anything that you want
SO LONG AS

you do no
forceably interfere with nor attempt to forcebly interfere with the rights of another human being
You, that is any body, does not have the right to forcibely interfere with THE RIGHTS OF ANOTHER HUMAN BEING!!!
There I've said it and I mean it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2020 06:47PM by thedesertrat1.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 23, 2020 08:15PM

what are the Rights of a human being? And do some human beings have more or better Rights?

I'm fascinated by attempts to explain the stumbling, bumbling multi-paths that 'humanity' has traveled, is traveling, and will hopefully (my adverb of choice) continue to travel.

I actually believe that I would be disappointed if Jesus returned and announced, "Now, lookee here, folks, this is how it's going to be, and my cherubim are going to be keeping tabs and tally."

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: May 23, 2020 08:49PM

So you’re asking if you can be Mormon without being stupid. You need free will for willful stupidity. Without free will, nobody could be Mormon.

Date: May 23, 2020 10:16PM

If your second sentence is true, and it could be, Mormons are deliberate assholes. I kind of think that they are that, so your point is well taken.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: May 24, 2020 01:22AM

If all you do is follow sheep, you worldview consists of mostly sheep butts.

Posted by: SomeMillenial ( )
Date: May 24, 2020 10:14PM

lol that is going on my mini fridge

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: May 23, 2020 10:14PM

Sun goddess, are you mixing free will with lawlessness?

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 24, 2020 03:34AM

I refuse to have free will.

Date: May 24, 2020 03:18PM

I feel compelled to agree.

Posted by: ufotofu ( )
Date: May 24, 2020 12:16PM

It all depends on how you spin them.

Be FREE, Or, be LDS!

Can't be both ways.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: May 24, 2020 10:19PM

Societies are in the business of survival. Those that are bad at it eventually don't survive. Sometimes, they may have been surviving just fine, but drew the short straw. Think Pompeii. Those that are better at survival are still around.

Societies strive to encourage constructive behavior (i.e. behavior that helps them survive and prosper), and discourage destructive behavior. They have various means of doing that. It is often not clear what is a better course of action, or when circumstances change enough to require a different course of action. Survival is the measure of success.

Note that none of that description required the words God, rights, free will, punishment, satan, yada yada yada. They are just extra layers of paint to make the room prettier.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 24, 2020 11:01PM

How come no one worships Raw, Naked Power!

I'm going to find out which political party is closest to being the Raw, Naked Power party to see what they can do for me, once they finish taking care of themselves.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.