Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Jamal ( )
Date: May 25, 2020 04:01PM

After years of trying to convince myself that I was asexual and not interested in ANY relationships (but still holding onto maybe it could work if I found the right person), I've realized that I'm gay and that it would actually be really nice to have a partner. It was a huge relief to finally understand my feelings instead of suppressing them, but now I don't have any chance of being accepted by my family or living comfortably. They'd hate me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 25, 2020 04:20PM

While being miserably pushed away by your family, you will be opening yourself up to the likelihood that happiness exists for you outside of your TBM family.

I will guarantee you will have a 100% better chance of finding happiness away from your family, but unfortunately I cannot refund you your money if that turns out not to be the case.

This is not to say that you won't be unhappy at times in the future, but it is to say that life is what you get to make of it, using the tools and equipment at hand.

Keep notes! You'll enjoy perusing them in the future!

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: May 26, 2020 03:16PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> While being miserably pushed away by your family,
> you will be opening yourself up to the likelihood
> that happiness exists for you outside of your TBM
> family.
>
> I will guarantee you will have a 100% better
> chance of finding happiness away from your family,
> but unfortunately I cannot refund you your money
> if that turns out not to be the case.
>
> This is not to say that you won't be unhappy at
> times in the future, but it is to say that life is
> what you get to make of it, using the tools and
> equipment at hand.
>
> Keep notes! You'll enjoy perusing them in the
> future!

What He said!!!!!!!

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: May 26, 2020 03:18PM

It's beautifully simple, just be yourself and enjoy your life

and if other people don't like you, oh well..... thats their

problem.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: May 26, 2020 02:46PM

I'M STRAIGHT
I allow all humans the same privilege
Let them do how where or what they may
How you treat me is more important to me than your so called sexual orientation.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: May 26, 2020 03:11PM

Would love to know what age you are and if you are still dependent on parents for support if you feel like saying without specifics.

Assuming you could manage on your own, and having been there, I say social distancing is nice for pandemics and often even better for bigoted family. You need a better reason than "blood" to hang with someone. We were all indoctrinated right along with the Mormonism to believe sharing DNA was so important that we should sacrifice ourselves to it.

My mother wanted me to live celibate and stay with them the rest of my life pretending to be a "bachelor" haha. Didn't even consider that for one second.

However, that said---some of your family might surprise you. It happens. I have one sibling who is wonderful.

The best for me was coming out to friends, getting in the "community" which for me was a whole bunch of us who had gone to BYU and had so much in common as exmo gays. That was decades and decades ago. The world is more accepting nowadays but family often isn't. Seems backwards, no?

Being understood is one of life's greatest gifts. Don't let family stop you from finding the people in life who get you and are happy for you.

Never forget the lyric from that song, "I am what I am and what I am needs no excuses."

Not everybody can handle a big flashy coming out. Find *your* way to grab the reins of your life.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: May 26, 2020 03:35PM

"...I say social distancing is nice for pandemics and often even better for bigoted family."

Very. Good. Line.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 26, 2020 04:25PM

Listen to this, Jamal. There are a number of people here who have negotiated what you now face. They can tell you how to get to the other side.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.