Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 30, 2020 11:04AM

I'm 63 and in good health. Maryland, as you might know, has been taking things cautiously and has been somewhat behind the curve in terms of reopening. But we are at the point of opening retail stores, hair salons and barbers with a greatly reduced capacity, restaurants with outdoor seating only, etc. In my county, masks are required of everyone in a public space.

I can stay away from the retail stores and restaurants. I'm not in need of any "stuff," and I haven't been out to restaurants much anyway, so they won't miss me. I might try take-out. I'm not sure about that. Pools, beaches, etc. -- I'll miss them greatly, but I can give them a pass this summer.

So these are the things that I'm struggling with:

1. My hair. I'm sure every woman can sympathize. It's at the point where if I go too much longer without an appointment, things will go south rapidly, which effects my self-esteem. My hairdresser is reopening, and we'd both be wearing masks. I just don't know how I feel about going. Would it be reasonably safe, or not worth risking?

2. My home -- my wall-to-wall carpet is about 5-6 years in and has developed ripples. It badly needs to be pulled and re-tacked. I don't know how I feel about having a work crew in my home. I'm not mad about the idea, but the carpet is driving me crazy.

3. The same carpet is also badly in need of a cleaning. Do I call a commercial cleaning company? Doing it myself with a rental machine (that everyone else also uses) doesn't seem any safer. I could buy a carpet cleaning machine, but I'm not sure how good they are. Plus storage space for it would be short.

What issues are you struggling with? What are you willing/not willing to do now? What can wait? If you have any thoughts about my issues, I'd love to hear them.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Fascinated in the Midwest ( )
Date: May 30, 2020 11:24AM

I saw an article rating the relative "danger" of eating out, going to the hair salon, etc.

Hair salon visits were quite risky; too close contact for an extended duration.

I've also seen an article on the precautions that cleaning crews take now when coming for inhome maid service. You could open wwindows and sit outside for the duration of their visit?

Everyone will need to assess the risk of what they have to/ need to / want to do and arrive at their own decisions. I feel that just because somewhere is open again doesn't mean I have to go there. I can choose to stay home if I am uncomfortable.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: May 30, 2020 11:36AM

I understand your concerns. I have some as well.

1. My hair- I had some very bad experiences having my hair done in the past, so I finally learned how to cut it myself. I'm glad I don't have to fuss with going to hairdressers.

2. My home. I had my house painted this spring. I had arranged it with the painters last year and wasn't about to give up my spot on their waiting list. I figured it was outside where I could keep my distance. I'm so glad that giant project is now done. They needed the work and I needed the job. They never came in the house.

3. I have a faucet that is dripping and a couple other issues for a plumber. I have been postponing calling one. I'm not thrilled about having one come now (I don't see a lot of service providers wearing masks). If the drip gets worse, I'm going to have to do something. Meanwhile I use the drips to water plants.

4. I need to hire some movers to move furniture to different houses. I really want this done but have been waiting for safer times to have a crew all over.

5. I have been putting off dental cleaning. What they do creates a lot of aerosol droplets. I don't know if I have had the virus (I had a lingering cold and cough last Jan-Feb). I mostly want to protect them since obviously that is not a situation for me to wear a mask.

Summer, I bought a Bissel carpet cleaner. It's fine for small jobs and clean ups from spills or pets. In your position, I'd probably give in and have it professionally cleaned and repaired.

It is strange how we all have priorities that might not be consistent. I figure taking some risks now and then does not mean to give up and take no precautions.

Date: May 30, 2020 12:13PM

Yes, dental cleaning is another concern. My next appointment is in September. I'm fairly certain that my dentist and hygienist would be wearing plastic shields as well as masks, but I just don't know about that, either. I've reached an age where skipping an appointment is not advisable, but it may come down to that.

Thanks for your thoughts on the Bissel. My entire carpet needs a thorough cleaning, so I may opt for the professional.

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: May 30, 2020 01:25PM

I got a haircut two days ago. I was due for a haircut, right before the virus hit. Haven't had hair that long since college. I too, was reluctant. I made a reservation online. Showed up and waited in my car until they texted me to come in. Only one other customer. Everyone was wearing a mask (they wouldn't let you in without one). The sprayed down the chair and counter while I watched. My stylist made a point of spraying her hands with disinfectant before I sat down. I was apprehensive before I got there, but reassured during the entire time. Make sure your salon is going overboard to protect you and their employees.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: May 30, 2020 01:50PM

I order in whatever I can. I only go out once every week or two. My hair is long and one length, so I don't get haircuts anyway. But I've trimmed the bottom of my own hair a few times with my handy-dandy Creaclip.

I've worked from home for 11 weeks and counting.

We had no choice in April when our furnace died. We had to bring in a crew to install a new furnace. Everything worked out fine there.

We have a continuously-dripping bathtub tap, dripping a lot of hot water! Expensive. We're going to have to break down an bring in a plumber at some point as well.

We want to bring in a gardener to fix the gardens. They have a lot of weeds in them. But that's outside, so that's okay.

If we get a new doorknob for the back door, I know how to install that myself.

My Mom wants someone to come and clean our windows, which again you can just have the outsides done.

Other than that, other things inside the house can wait.

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: May 30, 2020 04:54PM

"We have a continuously-dripping bathtub tap, dripping a lot of hot water! Expensive. We're going to have to break down an bring in a plumber at some point as well"

You have a bad valve. It's an easy fix. Google your specific issue and watch some YouTube vids. How old is your home and the tub system? If you're halfway handy and have tools, you can fix it for about $20.00.

Posted by: jay ( )
Date: May 30, 2020 05:40PM

I’ll shop when it’s not busy. With a mask. Run & walk & hike with a mask on hand.

No restaurants, bars, gyms, haircuts, Dentists, house guests - nothing. I’ll watch the numbers locally and see how they are 6 weeks from now before making changes.

Posted by: Tyson Dunn ( )
Date: May 30, 2020 05:40PM

My husband and I have been walking many miles every day. We wear our masks; we avoid people, going so far as to run away from cyclists, runners, dog walkers, etc. That's not going to change.

We don't order restaurant delivery. We don't plan to go to any restaurants, stores, dentists, or doctors again, until there's a vaccine, and we've had it or a positive antibody test. I have a doctor's appointment scheduled for July. I intend to do a televisit instead of going in person.

We have the luxury of having our groceries delivered. We spend a few hours sanitizing them when they arrive.

We buy anything else we need online and have it delivered. Like our mail, it sits out in our shed baking a few days until we bring it in. We don't open most mail for close to a week.

We cut each other's hair.

We had to get our car serviced. I hate that we did, and now I'm having to worry for a few weeks.

Finally, come hell or high water, WE WILL VOTE - even if we die as a result.

Tyson

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: May 30, 2020 08:49PM

We started opening up and I am watching the numbers and I am not happy. As a state we are going down but now we have reporting by zip code. We are small, around 35.5K. Our number of lab tested positives has gone from 14 to 20 in two weeks. We will not change anything. If there was anything left to tighten up, we would. Hubby has cut my hair for 25 years. Someone thought 5" was 2" and he learned to do it himself lol. I am trimming the back of his a little at a time. If the rest gets too bad I may break out the Flowbee. If he refuses, the gal next door is a hairdresser and I can get her to do it out in the yard I bet. I do need to get on the list to get the trim painted and the moss stuff put on the roof. I could use a plumber but it is not an emergency.

Work needed Hubby to go in and look at some equipment. Boss met him at the door and walked him through. Everyone is required to wear masks and everything is wiped down three times a day. Hand sanitizer is everywhere and everyone is expected to use it. He will continue to work from home.

I am in a couple of groups and I am SHOCKED how people think that going to the craft store is some big necessity. I did curbside/quarantine with mask supplies and had other stuff shipped just fine. You really HAVE to GO IN to Michaels to get some iron on vinyl? Really? You can't wait a few days? The bloody world will end if you don't have cardstock RIGHT NOW when chances are good you have 100s of sheets already?

As to voting, my state has done mail in for DECADES with zero problems. It is great to get all the info in advance. It is hard to tell exactly what you are voting on sometimes. Plenty of time to do your own research. Two envelopes. Outer must have a signature matching what they have on file but there is time to fix it if it doesn't match. Bar coded so you can track your own ballot. No need to pay for a stamp, you drop off to a secured lock box.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: May 30, 2020 09:04PM

I think you can get some guys in to stretch the carpet, or better yet get laminate installed there's far less germs and irritants and allergens you'll be dealing with in the long run. It's summer and people don't get sick this time of year much. Nature is far more forgiving than in the winter.

I'm going about my life just as usual, going to the gym touching everything in sight. I go to the store and am about the only one with a mask on. People aren't socially distancing and are getting right up next to me at the store. It's kind of annoying. No one cares anymore.

Posted by: lindy ( )
Date: May 31, 2020 05:36AM

My state in Australia has partly opened up...twenty people in a cafe or restaurant, schools back, most shops open, libraries etc but from next weekend we have a major easing. Cinemas open but with a maximum of 100 people in each theatre, cafes etc able to seat 100 patrons or up to 300 if they have multiple areas, the zoo open again. The distance between patrons at cafes has been reduced from one person per 4 sq metres to one person per 2 sq metres.
We were down to two active cases, neither in hospital, for the whole state but then a live sheep carrier ship arrived from Kuwait with infected crew on board. They have been taken to hotels for quarantine ( none are so far sick enough to need hospital but will be taken there if needed) with the rest of the crew being tested.
Our state borders are still closed and it looks like they will stay closed for weeks yet.

My OH and I feel reasonably comfortable going out to shops now as we really have virtually no community spread. We have had our first coffees in the reopened cafes. We headed up to the CBD last week but drove instead of catching the suburban train as we usually do...being seniors the train travel is free whereas parking in the city can be pricey.We aren't sure when we'll feel comfortable taking the train again..hopefully soon if our virus numbers stay very low.
Doctors visits are back to almost normal at our local practice and I've been there a couple of times. Planning another GP visit on Tuesday.

Date: May 31, 2020 06:03AM

Oh Lindy, I so wish I could move to TAS. Hubby is having none of that. He knows I would have a house FULL of wombats! :)

Date: May 31, 2020 09:11AM

Wow, that's close to normalcy. That's the dream. We are a long way off from that in America's mid-Atlantic.

Date: May 31, 2020 07:08AM

Wombats are cute. If you moved to TAS you'd better be careful of the tassie devils :). We have a few at the zoo here in Perth and OH and I watched them being fed. Thankfully the rabbit was already dead when their keeper hung it from a branch but, my goodness, they made short work of it.

Date: May 31, 2020 06:01PM

The devils are quite something. But the real dangerous animals are the Drop Bears ;)

Date: June 01, 2020 03:53AM

Susan I/S Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The devils are quite something. But the real
> dangerous animals are the Drop Bears ;)

You would be safe in my state...drop bears aren't native to here. Be careful in the eastern states though..nasty little creatures.

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: May 31, 2020 09:37AM

I have been dining out and going to the gym for 3 weeks now.

I don't recommend everyone do what I am doing. Some people are more at risk and should follow what they study about this virus and use their brain and intuition.

It was sort of scary in empty dining places but the service was excellent and the food much warmer. Now more people even older people are venturing and eating out.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: May 31, 2020 09:56AM

My answer to all of this has been and remains
CALM DOWN
AGAIN I SAY THIS IS SERIOUS YES!!
Evaluation is important YES!!
But I see too much panic and too little reasoning.
Some of you are going to scream back at me but I am used to that so have at it. Others will realize rationality calm down and think things through.
THERE I'VE SAID IT AGAIN
Be gentle. I'm old and decrepit. And I whine and whimper

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2020 09:57AM by thedesertrat1.

Date: May 31, 2020 11:13AM

It's rather difficult to "calm down" with someone shouting at you with the caps lock on. lol

Having said that, there is no panic in my post, nor in anyone's replies -- just a thoughtful discussion on how people are handling reopening, which to one degree or another is going on everywhere in the U.S. and many other places right now.

You seem to throw around the word "panic" for anything that merits a degree of thoughtfulness and perhaps caution.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: May 31, 2020 10:30AM

I am going to continue to be very careful. I’m very healthy, but I have a couple of underlying health issues that could make the virus very dangerous for me.

I get out and walk/bike/hike a couple of times a day, but I know when and where to go to avoid getting close to others. On those rare occasions when I might be around others, I wear a mask and keep my distance.

I’m very fortunate in that I know I can stay home and not worry about losing my job (I’m retired).

Things for me will never really be normal until when (or if) there is a vaccine.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: May 31, 2020 11:53AM

I'm not happy about it. The aisle floors have arrows showing which way one should go to prevent passing each other face-to-face. They're largely ignored. Masks? Ha! I keep putting it off and ordering out. What a waste of money on unhealthy food.

If we had food and pharmacy delivery, I'd be on it. Every time I'm at the store, I thank every employee I see for working. They're stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Posted by: Recovered Molly Mo ( )
Date: May 31, 2020 12:10PM

I am a medical professional currently unemployed due to Covid layoffs.

I am still using hygiene practices as part of my daily routine. Masks in more crowded places like stores. Some folks are getting lazy with social distancing.

I have always washed my hands fastidiously out of work habits. I tell everyone this has been crucial to me staying well professionally combined with managing my stress, getting good sleep and staying well hydrated.

The more vulnerable populations need to take extra precautions.

With that said, I also believe there is a bit too much hype with restrictions stores/govt are taking, but I understand WHY

Too many people do not stay home when they are sick. Too many folks do not isolate themselves at all. Some folks are asymptomatic. I am convinced I had Covid in Feb due to an illness that had all the symptoms other than fever. The tests were not yet available in our area, and based on CDC guidelines, no one would test me anyway due to lack of fever. Someday I will get an antibody test to see if I was exposed.

Moving forward, as I look for work, I am questioning how Healthcare employers will take measures to protect their staff and patients. During the early onset of Covid, healthcare workers were denies wearing protective equipment, even if they provided it themselves! They did not want to create a mass hysteria. Those healthcare workers were justified and many in direct patient care lost their lives to protect the image of the company they worked for. 

I am not yet ready for cosmetic services such as hair, nails, etc. These things can wait. I did trim my own bangs and did my own hair color since I have the skills, but since no one but my immediate family and friends (via webcam) see me. I will be fine. We are all accepting each other for being less polished. I just pretend its the 70's again.

I have visited one home other than my own since January. This has been very difficult since I am a social butterfly and a huggy person. I went to visit my best friend who was also isolating since Jan. She is immunocompromised and I waiting under her Doctor gave her permission to see me.

I have cautiously gone out to stores, taking measures on what I touch, social distancing, mask, etc. I do order some things online to keep this to a minimum.

I am not willing to go to restaurants for a sit down meal, despite measures places are taking. The risk is higher with viruses that are dispersed via aerosol over time and population. The more people around in a small space over time..the greater your chance of exposure.

Just remember the greatest things you can do.
Reduce or eliminate exposure to risk.
Wash hands effectively, 20-30 seconds with soap. All the surfaces and webs.
Do not touch your face! If you need to..make sure you do the above first!
Get rest. Feed your soul. (Whatever it takes to make you feel calm and collected that is not harmful...go for it)
Drink lots of water and stay hydrated.

RMM

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: May 31, 2020 12:33PM

Thank you, RMM.

I wonder what I would do if I were still an x-ray tech. On nights, I'd take up to 20 portable chest x-rays usually of people in the ICU, CCU, ER and of some people in the wards. How many portables are being done now?

I'd like to think that I'd suck it up and do my job. Maybe I would when I was 25. At 53? I don't know. I miss patient contact. Patient contact fed my soul more than any other job I've had.

May you soon find a job that allows you to care for people while caring for yourself.

Thinking of you.

Beth

Posted by: doyle18 ( )
Date: May 31, 2020 04:04PM

I've been getting takeout a few times a week since this started only because I want to support local restaurants who would have gone out of business. I'm still planning to wait before going to any other retail store and before eating inside a restaurant. I'm also in no rush to get my hair cut even though hair salons are reopening, and I've mostly done my own nails, so no going to a nail salon for me.

I did find out almost a couple of weeks ago that I'm scheduled to return to work around July 1st at this point. As I can't do my job from home like the majority of the company, I'm fine with going back to work as it can be done while social distancing, and we'll be provided with masks to wear. I also don't work with the general public so I'm slightly safer than others are. I am comfortable with going to the beach for walks and bike rides, as people seem to have learned the concept of social distancing.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2020 04:07PM by doyle18.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: May 31, 2020 08:43PM

I was going to go out rioting tonight but there’s a curfew.

Posted by: mrbeel ( )
Date: June 01, 2020 04:30PM

Every group has one 'wisenheimer' :-)

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: June 02, 2020 04:13PM

Mr Beel, are you related to me? I haven't heard "weisenheimer" since growing up.

Posted by: anonculus ( )
Date: June 02, 2020 04:25PM

23 Skidoo!

Posted by: Free Man ( )
Date: June 02, 2020 03:56PM

I’m confused. Those questioning the shutdown are considered nutcases, but then we consider risking death for hair and carpet?

And BTW, ordering stuff requires somebody to risk their lives producing, pulling, packaging, sorting, and shipping.

Going to the store asks clerks to risk their life.

Why should some of us get to stay home and be safe while asking others to die?

The shutdown is fake.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: June 02, 2020 04:28PM

> Why should some of us get to stay home and be safe
> while asking others to die?

Isn't this virtually identical to what you say about women--that they sit safely at home while men are compelled to go off and do all the tough stuff? Are you perhaps projecting your sense of victimhood at the hands of women onto COVID policy?

Just something to bring up with your therapist.

Date: June 02, 2020 06:34PM

Shutdown was necessary in order to "flatten the curve" -- to keep the numbers of sick people manageable, and to keep hospitals from being overwhelmed with Covid cases. And for the most part we were successful with that. AFAIK no American was denied a ventilator due to too many sick patients. We came perilously close to that, though. Contrast that with northern Italy, where many painful decisions had to be made.

This thread is *not* about shutdown. It is about reopening -- particularly reopening in a safe manner. Since shutdown was anathema to you, I'd think you'd be all in favor of reopening.

I am not considering risking death if I can help it. That's the entire point of this thread. How do we gradually return to normal life without taking unnecessary risks?

I had a doctor's appointment yesterday, and I felt quite safe there. Whenever my physician or her assistant had to work close in to me, they wore plastic face shields. They also had plexiglass barriers. I had a face mask on. Everyone's temperature was taken prior to entry. Every surface close to me was wiped down. Etc.

I support efforts to keep all workers as safe as possible. At the same time, I realize that I'm lucky to be able to work from home during the worst part of the pandemic. That "luck" was due in part to many years of effort to work my way up in the world through education, training, and experience. It paid off for me during the pandemic. At other times it has not particularly paid off. Some jobs are doing well at present, some not.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2020 08:59PM by summer.

Date: June 02, 2020 07:43PM

Agree Summer. Hubby is able to work from home because he has put decades into his industry and been with the same company for almost 30 years. He is also high risk. And he is working even more because with an encrypted computer at home he continues to take calls and answer questions after he logs out for the day. He went in for a couple of hours today, second time, but they were very very careful with him and he was very careful. Plus everyone always has to wear masks, they wipe everything down twice a day and moved things around so desks are far apart. He spent most of the time working on equipment alone.

It will be a while till he goes back in full time. By zipcode our town has new cases last week and the town work is in has the highest number of cases in the county.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.