Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: May 31, 2020 12:41PM

Did any one here see the Beastie Boys toward the end of their touring careers?

I've recently gotten into their music and with how often they self -reference in their songs, was there any question about who was who as they would work through their set lists?

Intergalactic and Sabotage are two of my favorites. I cannot get those two songs loud enough when they play.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: May 31, 2020 01:01PM

The Beastie Groove was the B side of one of their first EPs.

Adam Yauch was MCA. He died in 2012ish of cancer - he had a rare form of cancer located in his salivary glands. He was instrumental in transforming the Beasties' music from misogynistic party BS to more thoughtful songs that still had the Beastie wit. MCA was my favorite. He said that his conversion to Buddhism made him reflect on the effects he and the Beasties' music has on the world.

What blew my mind was when King Ad-Rock married Kathleen Hannah of the punk band Bikini Kill. GIRLS IN FRONT! Hannah, Tobi Vail (an ex of Kurt Cobain), and... two other women whose names I have forgotten, are kick ass. Hannah and Vail were a HUGE part of the riot grrl movement and an unrecognized influence on grunge. The same for Mia Zapata.

Um, the other guy, um Mike D - I don't know much about him.

I never saw them in concert.

There's a new documentary about them: "Beastie Boys Story." I haven't seen it, but I plan to. Check that out and tell me what you think.

ETA: One of my favorite songs from "Hello Nasty" is "Putting Shame in Your Game." I also like "Body Moving." I used to jog to this album. Boy, I'm old.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2020 01:06PM by Beth.

Posted by: 6 iron ( )
Date: May 31, 2020 01:12PM

I used to dj Church youth dances, lol, at the time Intergalactic was popular. They were Jewish, and I've noticed that in 2 of the 3 recent Star Trek movies had Beasty songs. JJ Abrams must be a fan.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: May 31, 2020 01:17PM

LOVE. YOU.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.