Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: June 06, 2020 10:23AM

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2020/06/06/nd-anniversary-end/

"She worries especially about black teens who go to Latter-day Saint seminary and still hear racist statements — such as that black skin is a curse from God (a view the church has disavowed) — and “don’t have someone they trust to ask if that is true.”

Indeed, last year the church itself made a blunder with a Sunday school manual, allowing old language about skin as a curse to make it into the printed Sunday school text. It was quickly corrected online, but copies of the wrong version had already been sent to members throughout the world."
Because MORmONs never disavowed the notion that their white supremacist God cursed two entire races with dark skin because that's what their divine revelations say and as long as they do, there is no denying it is an institution of racism.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2020 10:30AM by schrodingerscat.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: June 06, 2020 10:40AM

I don't think long term mormons will ever change their church taught racist views. Their Cog-Dis will just gloss it over because "The church is true" and "The church is never wrong". To eliminate racism, they're going to have to eliminate their church bubble first.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: June 06, 2020 12:52PM

My temple-going, tithe-paying, genealogy-doing, class-teaching, leadership-position-holding TBM siblings, in their 70s and 80s, have changed their views over the years.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: June 06, 2020 11:49AM

Talk about cog-dis....

Today Romney let out a tweet (aka fart) with a picture of his dad marching:

"This is my father, George Romney, participating in a Civil Rights march in the Detroit suburbs during the late 1960s—“Force alone will not eliminate riots,” he said. “We must eliminate the problems from which they stem.”

This is hilarious on so many levels to me. His darn church was not allowing black equality at that time. HELLO!!

My guess is that his dad was trying to protect his automobile manufacturing reputation in Detroit.

That reminds me. My own dad, who was basically a John Birch type, only bought Rambler cars because he wanted to buy from Mormons. Every two years we got a new Rambler.

I think Mitt has a lot of explaining to do about how his dad was fine supporting the teachings of the church while out marching at the time. Heck, Mitt has a lot to explain about temple oaths and serving the public. Sadly Mitt turned out to be one of the more moral Senators. Go figure.

Date: June 06, 2020 12:10PM

Until the Emperor offers him frog legs in his Tower.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: June 07, 2020 06:28PM

I would give George Romney some credit here. He had quite a good civil rights record. That cost him some support within the conservative wing of his party, but there was still a sizable progressive wing of the party back in those days. The Civil Rights Act of 1964 passed with fairly wide bipartisan support. A lot of Dems then were from the Old South, and did not support it. The northern Rs did.

It was his coming out in opposition to the Vietnam War that cost him his presidential bid.

I don't know where to find any documentation to back this up, but I believe he lobbied the First Presidency (McKay?) to change the priesthood policy.

I'd give him pretty good marks for integrity, all considered.

Date: June 07, 2020 06:38PM

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would give George Romney some credit here. He
> had quite a good civil rights record. That cost
> him some support within the conservative wing of
> his party, but there was still a sizable
> progressive wing of the party back in those days.
> The Civil Rights Act of 1964 passed with fairly
> wide bipartisan support. A lot of Dems then were
> from the Old South, and did not support it. The
> northern Rs did.
>
> It was his coming out in opposition to the Vietnam
> War that cost him his presidential bid.
>
> I don't know where to find any documentation to
> back this up, but I believe he lobbied the First
> Presidency (McKay?) to change the priesthood
> policy.
>
> I'd give him pretty good marks for integrity, all
> considered.

He'd be ashamed of his coward son, who got neutered by the Emperor in exchange for frogleg dinner in his tower.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: June 06, 2020 11:51AM

Ha ha.

Thankfully, we have an image of their souls right here:

https://twitter.com/vote4robgill/status/1269284225154514944?s=20

Posted by: MormonMartinLuther ( )
Date: June 06, 2020 01:20PM

Romney is the perfect example of the modern day mormon integration into the larger virtue signalling culture.

We are all not racist together!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 07, 2020 09:37PM

Rmoney is the perfect example of the modern day chameleon.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: June 07, 2020 11:02PM

Romney: “we need to stand up and say black lives matter”

Hard to argue with that. He’s willing to say the right thing when many of his peers are silent. I give him respect for that.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/mitt-romney-marches-in-dc-we-need-to-stand-up-and-say-that-black-lives-matter-2020-06-07?siteid=yhoof2&yptr=yahoo

Posted by: Marco_torres ( )
Date: June 10, 2020 12:18AM

Hispanic Lives Matter, or should I saw All Lamanite Lives Matter.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 10, 2020 12:55AM

¡Claro que sí, jefe!

¡Arriba los de abajo!

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: June 10, 2020 10:09PM

I'm surprised we haven't seen "Pre-existent Fence-Sitters' Lives Matter" signs. Fact is, you will never have meaningful conversations about race relations in Utah and Idaho. Who are you going to have those conversations with? All your Whitey co-workers?

They just don't even grasp the concept of cities that are majority minority and the glaring disparity in all facets of life in those areas. Yes, SLC has it's minority areas but they are very concentrated. The poverty in Utah is mostly white. And while that is still a big problem, it is a whole different animal than the systemic racial poverty which leads to the injustices, inequities and brutality that are being protested. The penishood brigade can't change if they don't even get it.

Date: June 10, 2020 10:31PM

I was 23 when "God changed his mind about Black people." I'm officially a senior citizen now. So most of the people who are still LDS and grew up with the extremely racist teachings are at least 60 and over. It was worse for my parents' generation, but the majority of them are gone. So as we move out, younger generations have a harder time even believing how racist the church teachings used to be. There are people who are now grandparents who weren't alive before the change.

My (ex)Father-in-law was so racist that he became a volunteer sheriff in hopes that he'd someday be able to shoot a Black person. I think it was his life's unlrealized dream. OK, maybe that's a little inflammatory. He actually said "I hope I never have to shoot anyone, but I know that if I do, it will be a (N-word). He had an extremely hard time with the "revelation." He'd say "I'll baptize them all, I will just forget to bring them up." And he said that if he were ever in the temple and a Black person walked in, he'd get up and walk out. He's long gone, as are most Mormons of his ilk.

So the geezers like Rusty and Dallin et al. are slowly toning down the rhetoric to adapt to the growing pre-78 membership, it is changing mostly just because of the diluting of the membership who were weaned not only on racism, but on the white supremecy that no one can argue used to be taught by the church.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: June 10, 2020 11:42PM

But it is still an essential component of canonized LDS scripture. To be a Mormon requires you to believe that darker races are cursed and that the originator of those curses is God himself. It doesn't matter how progressive or liberal or modernizing the younger generation wants to be. The facts will still be there until God comes down in a pillar of light and decrees that those scriptures are inaccurate. I don't see that happening any time soon.

Date: June 14, 2020 02:55PM

You are right, it is still very much the teaching that dark skin is a curse. Unless they've changed the BOM. I know they changed "white and delightsome" to "pure and delightsome," but my QUAD still has the white part. Also, you still see pics all over mormondumb of the heaven with white God sitting on his throne with white Jesus next to him and hordes of white minions, all dressed in white gathered round.

So that says either one of two things, not even taking into account the fact that neither Jesus nor anyone in the Bible had white skin. It takes place in the Middle East. But it says either 1) that dark skin is so bad that anyone who makes it to heaven will have their skin changed to white, or 2) only white skinned people will be in heaven in the first place.

You simply cannot be a firm believer in mormonism and not be racist. The two don't compute.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.