Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: June 08, 2020 03:55PM

In response to me posting this, "No word from Romney on the bogus 19th Century racist myths his religion is built upon, or whether or not he really believes in a God who "cursed" two whole races of people with dark skin as a punishment for the sins of their fathers, long after those bogus myths had all been debunked by DNA evidence."

With a link to this KSL article about Romney marching at DC protests against George Floyd’s death.

https://kslnewsradio.com/1926761/sen-romney-seen-marching-at-dc-protests-against-george-floyds-death/?fbclid=IwAR1Nb1f6xtcHyXA_u4Yxj2Fnzoh00oncVUTIsGrp-kV07yNF8Z8bbSbdrxE

I responded,

"these racist, white supremacist verses are STILL canonized in Mormon scriptures, meaning, Mormons still consider them to be "inspired revelation directly from God", meaning they worship a Mormon God who is a white supremacist (racist).
And he had caused the cursing to come upon [the Lamanites], yea, even a sore cursing, because of their iniquity. For behold, they had hardened their hearts against him, and they had become like unto a flint; wherefore, as they were white, and exceedingly fair and delightsome, that they might not be enticing unto my people the Lord God did cause a skin of blackness to come upon them" (2 Nephi 5:21)
"And I the Lord set a a mark upon Cain, lest any finding him should kill him." Moses 5:40
"For behold, the Lord shall curse the land with much heat, and the barrenness thereof shall go forth forever; and there was a BLACKNESS came upon all the children of Canaan, that they were DESPISED AMONG ALL PEOPLE." LDS Pearl of Great Price, Moses 7:8
"And their curse was taken from them, and their skin became white like unto the Nephites; And their young men and their daughters became exceedingly fair, and they were numbered among the Nephites, and were called Nephites." 3 Nephi 2:15
"And it came to pass that Jesus blessed them as they did pray unto him; and his countenance did smile upon them, and the light of his countenance did shine upon them, and behold they were as white as the countenance and also the garments of Jesus; and behold the whiteness thereof did exceed all the whiteness, yea, even there could be nothing upon earth so white as the whiteness thereof." 3 Nephi 19:25, 30
“He had on a loose robe of most exquisite whiteness. It was a whiteness beyond anything earthly I had ever seen; nor do I believe that any earthly thing could be made to appear so exceedingly white and brilliant." Book of Mormon Testimony of the Prophet Joseph Smith
"O then ye unbelieving, turn ye unto the Lord; cry mightily unto the Father in the name of Jesus, that perhaps ye may be found spotless, pure, fair, and white, having been cleansed by the blood of the Lamb, at that great and last day." Mormon 9:6
"And I beheld the Spirit of the Lord, that it was upon the Gentiles, and they did prosper and obtain the bland for their inheritance; and I beheld that they were white, and exceedingly fair and beautiful, like unto my people before they were slain." 1 Nephi 13:15
"And it came to pass that I looked and beheld the great city of Jerusalem, and also other cities. And I beheld the city of Nazareth; and in the city of Nazareth I beheld a virgin, and she was exceedingly fair and white." 1 Nephi 11:13
"O my brethren, I fear that unless ye shall repent of your sins that their skins will be whiter than yours, when ye shall be brought with them before the throne of God." Jacob 3:8

That's not evolution, that's institutionalized racism, that ain't goin away as long as those racist 19th C myths remain in print.
There's no excuse for not gathering up all the racist Mormon scriptures and redacting the racism out of them or tossing them in the garbage, better yet. Their pull date has long since passed.
Name another religion that worships a God who 'curses' entire races with dark skin for the sins of their fathers, then white again when they repent, then black again when they sin.
The only one I can think of is the Fundamentalist Mormons, who are even more racist than Mormons, who've got no problem whatsoever with their racist God, or they'd resign in protest, which is what I did when I could no longer deny that the faith I inherited was really institutionalized racism.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2020 03:56PM by schrodingerscat.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: MormonMartinLuther ( )
Date: June 08, 2020 08:28PM

I would say it is evolution in but much like the way of the Dodo Bird.

Self preservation can be difficult for those too stupid to change but Mormons will find out they need to give up pretty much everything that they call mormonism in order to survive. I will sit back with my popcorn and watch the evolution televised.

Date: June 09, 2020 09:48PM

MormonMartinLuther Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would say it is evolution in but much like the
> way of the Dodo Bird.
>
> Self preservation can be difficult for those too
> stupid to change but Mormons will find out they
> need to give up pretty much everything that they
> call mormonism in order to survive. I will sit
> back with my popcorn and watch the evolution
> televised.

Haha, SLC with topless women shitting on flipped over cop cars and lighting them on fire. Brigham Young would be so proud of what has become of his utopian experiment.

Posted by: mrx ( )
Date: June 08, 2020 09:32PM

To consider how times have changed, we must look back to the political positions of George W Romney (father of Mitt) and Ezra Taft Benson (father of famous exmormon Steve Benson).

You can tell that Blacks had very little influence and power in the 60s and 70s, because members of racist COJCOLDS made it to high political positions without big protests and opposition.

GEORGE W ROMNEY
Michigan Governor 1963 to 1969
Sec of HUD under Nixon 1969 to 1973
Romney's grandparents were polygamous Mormons in Mexico.
In the 60s Romney was supposedly a strong supporter of civil rights, even though he was a leader of an ultra-racist COJCOLDS that didn't allow Black priesthood til 1978.
One time Romney said "I began to recognize that some Negroes are better and more capable than lots of Whites." You have to wonder if Romney was talking about janitorial skills.

Romney was a strong candidate for Prez in 1968 (even though the LDS church wouldn't change the Black ban for another 10 yrs) but lost out to Nixon.
Like many Mormons, Romney claimed that he was opposed to the way the church treated Blacks, but was afraid to publicly criticize.

EZRA TAFT BENSON
Sec of Agriculture under Eisenhower 1953 to 1961
Prez TCOJCOLDS 1985 to 1994
In the 60s, Benson theorized that the Civil Rights Movement was a communist plot. In 1967 Benson firmly taught that "the communists are using the Negros to foment trouble in the United States."
Other apostles cringed at various racist things that came out of Benson's mouth, but he later was able to get under control and avoid controversial things.

Benson gave an anti-communist talk in 1967 and allowed the talk to be inserted as a foreword in this notorious book:

THE BLACK HAMMER: A STUDY OF BLACK POWER, RED INFLUENCE AND WHITE ALTERNATIVES

The book featured a decapitated and bleeding African-American head, being used at the end of a hammer in the Communist Hammer and Sickle.

The ultra-racist segregationist George Wallace was so impressed with Benson that he tried to get Benson to campaign with him and even become a VP candidate.

In modern times (21st century, 1990s, 1980s) men who are members of horrible racist religions and organizations would have no chance to rise to high national political offices, but things were different back in the 50s and 60s.

** History lesson over **

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: June 10, 2020 07:53AM

I think Ezra Taft Benson was Steve Benson's grandfather (not father).

Posted by: mrx ( )
Date: June 08, 2020 09:40PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_Hammer

Here it is folks
the infamous decapitated Negro head on the book associated with Ezra Taft Benson

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: June 09, 2020 10:50AM

~~vomit~~

Date: June 08, 2020 09:58PM

It does not surprise me but that is disgusting.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: June 09, 2020 12:35AM

Romney has changed, apparently. The church has not.

They have changed their PR releases. They have not yet opted to tell the membership in General Conference to stop being racists. Call me when they give a directive to the members in Riverton to let black families move in next door.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2020 12:37AM by slskipper.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: June 09, 2020 12:53AM

Never forget that the Mormon church officially blames god for their past institutionalized racism. Some day, they will have to answer for this and we probably won't have to wait until the second-coming to see it happen, because they have fallen in to their own trap. They claim to receive revelation directly from god. They claim that god commanded the institutionalized racist policies. They claim to not know why he did it. God commanded it. They were just following orders. This gets the Mormon Prophet and Apostles off the hook in the court of public opinion. In exchange, they have a god that many people won't forgive nor forget what he did. God can't repent. The church won't repent. The religion is flawed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2020 12:55AM by azsteve.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: June 09, 2020 02:58AM

As much as I don’t like Romney, I’m very impressed with his political savvy. That simple move distances him from a radioactive GOP and softens his spoiled rich kid image. As probably the highest-profile Mormon, his marching with BLM will have a positive impact on a lot of Mormons.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 09, 2020 11:59AM

I'm all in favor of personal growth. If Mitt is marching for racial equality and fairness, then that's a good thing.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 09, 2020 04:25AM

G Romney was rebuked by D. Stapley regarding africans while he was MI governor.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: June 09, 2020 09:10AM

Well there's no fault I can see in his support of BLM, but I wish he'd support the other sides as well, the blue lives matter group are important too. We had a cop killing here in Ogden last week the city and community came out with a great deal of support, I didn't hear Romney say much (and this is his district).

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: June 09, 2020 10:15AM

What if he came out in favor of everything?? What if he came out in support of every group and all causes?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2020 10:16AM by thingsithink.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 09, 2020 10:13AM

> (and this is his district).

Right! Mike Lee has the southern half and Mitt has the northern half ...

But I forget, where's the dividing line?

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: June 09, 2020 12:10PM

The LDS church needs to publicly state two things before it can ever be respected in the post George Floyd era:

We were wrong.
We apologize.

Just evolving over time without addressing the wrongs of the church history is not enough. Revisionist history is not acceptable. The church was an environment that hindered civil rights and still is, especially for women.

Date: June 09, 2020 01:10PM

You nailed it! So simple. Yet, they’ll go through so much convoluted efforts when the way is so simple and so obvious.

Kind of like trying to escape the mental clutch of the church. You can go through endless mental gyrations or just say it’s not true. Simple.

Like the Mormon apologist Dan Witherspoon - the poor guy has tied himself in so many knots trying to reconcile it all - You can read a dozen books and listen to every Mormon stories episode trying to get a handle on it - and wrestle the five hundred pound imaginary gorilla. Or you can just say it’s not true and move on.

We were wrong. We’re sorry.

So simple. It seems like it would feel great for Mormons to hear that statement- like a giant exhale and release of the insanity.

Date: June 09, 2020 10:09PM

They will never do that as it means it will immediately proved they were never led by God all along - which is the truth.

I agree with Dagny it would be the honorable and simple thing to do.

We have to remember though they are the abusers. Hence, the other reason they will never acknowledge it is that is what abusers do.

It is only until they are dragged into court with a fake walker like Harvey Weinstein do they even admit that as an abuser they could be acknowledged as such by others. Lack of revelation and remorse is your answer.

Date: June 09, 2020 10:15PM

"It is only until they are dragged into court with a fake walker like Harvey Weinstein do they even admit that as an abuser they could be acknowledged as such by others. Lack of revelation and remorse is your answer."

that's great!

but if it ever could happen, isn't this the time? Isn't this the time for the members to speak up? Is the BYU Campus a hot spot for the protests? Couldn't they march from U of U campus down to the Temple?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2020 10:15PM by thingsithink.

Date: June 09, 2020 09:35PM

Mitt Romney stars in, "White Savior"
https://youtu.be/T_RTnuJvg6U

Date: June 10, 2020 10:04AM

She isn't even Mormon, because the church was always too racist/sexist for her tastes, but she defends the church any time I bring it up.
Despite the fact she knows as well as me that the abusive CULT covered up the abuse of my entire scout troop for 4yrs.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.