Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: June 09, 2020 07:52PM

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/09/us/chad-daybell-lori-vallow-idaho-missing-children/index.html

https://localnews8.com/news/2020/06/09/search-warrant-served-at-daybell-residence/

Chad Daybell has been taken into custody after human remains were found on his Idaho property Tuesday morning, Rexburg Police Assistant Chief Gary Hagen said at a news conference.

Daybell is the husband of Lori Vallow, whose two children have been missing since September.
Hagen said that "detectives and investigators have recovered what is believed to be human remains that have not been identified at this time," according to video provided by CNN affiliate KIFI/KIDK.
"Chad Daybell has been taken into custody for questioning," Hagen said.
Hagen offered no further details.

Vallow and Daybell left their Rexburg home when investigators started looking into Tylee and Joshua's disappearance, police have said.
Vallow, 46, has been in custody since she was extradited from Hawaii in March. She faces multiple charges, including two felony counts of desertion and nonsupport of children, according to a criminal complaint filed with an Idaho court.

Her bail remains at $1 million, though it had been reduced in March from $5 million. A two-day preliminary hearing is scheduled to begin July 9.
Daybell and Vallow married in Kauai, Hawaii, on November 5, and returned there December 1.
CNN had previously reached out to Daybell's attorney, Sean Bartholick, but had not heard back. Bartholick no longer represents Daybell. It's unclear whether he has an attorney.

Vallow's children were last seen at different times.
Tylee Ryan, 17, has not been seen since she visited Yellowstone National Park on September 8 with her brother Joshua "J.J." Vallow, 7, mother and uncle Alex Cox, according to authorities.
Joshua was last seen at a school in Idaho later that month.

J.J. Vallow and Tylee Ryan were last seen in September.
Lori Vallow moved to Idaho from Arizona just a couple of months before police began searching for her children.
Joshua attended Kennedy Elementary School in Rexburg, Idaho, for several weeks before his mother told the school she was going to home-school him, last attending on September 23, according to a court affidavit.
Police in Rexburg conducted a child welfare check in late November, after relatives told them that no one had spoken to Joshua in two months. They said they were told by Vallow and Daybell that the boy had been staying with a family friend in Arizona.
The couple were found in Hawaii in January and served with a search warrant. Vallow was given a deadline to turn the children over to authorities, a court order served by police said.

The disappearances followed other investigations authorities had conducted around Vallow and Daybell.
Daybell's ex-wife, Tammy Daybell, was found dead in her home in mid-October. Authorities initially ruled her death as natural, but then deemed it suspicious. They had her remains exhumed to conduct an autopsy.
Vallow's estranged husband was shot and killed in July during a fight with Vallow's brother in Arizona before her move.
Details about the motive weren't immediately available, but her brother was not charged in the case. He died in December, CNN affiliate KIFI/KIDK reported. His cause of death has not yet been released.
After their marriage, Vallow and Daybell told witnesses Tylee Ryan "had died a year before the death of her father, which is untrue," police said. Daybell also told someone Vallow had "no minor children," police said.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: June 09, 2020 07:59PM

With the spree these two have been on I wonder if it is one or both of the kids or someone else.

Posted by: Ted ( )
Date: June 10, 2020 09:21AM

That's what I was wondering...it could be remains of any number of people.

Posted by: wondering ( )
Date: June 10, 2020 06:17PM

It was confirmed the bodies were the two children, both by the mayor and during the hearing that was televised.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: June 11, 2020 03:15PM

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: June 09, 2020 08:08PM

What on earth took the authorities this long to thoroughly search his property I wonder?
On the news they showed an aerial view of his lot. It kind of looks like they were showing a place by a possible firepit.

Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: June 10, 2020 09:10AM

dagny Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What on earth took the authorities this long to
> thoroughly search his property I wonder?
> On the news they showed an aerial view of his lot.
> It kind of looks like they were showing a place by
> a possible firepit.

That boggles my mind. I have been thinking they had searched his property months ago. I am sometimes baffled about how police can work so slow, especially when the welfare of children are at stake. It reminds me of the case of Jessica Lunsford in Florida. We moved from that community just a few months before she was murdered, and my daughter actually knew Jessica, although only superficially. Jessica was kidnapped and murdered by a convicted child sex offender, named John Couey, who lived less than 100 yards from her home. This guy also had an outstanding warrant from Georgia, so police had full authority to enter and search his home, even without a search warrant. While Jessica was still alive in Couey's home, the police did a simple knock on the door and ask if he had known anything about her disappearance. Despite police tracking dogs indicating she had been there, his child sex conviction, and the outstanding arrest warrant from Georgia, the police walked away from that home, while she was alive and locked in a closet in a bedroom. After the police had focused their attention on Jessica's father, Couey murdered Jessica by burying her alive in his yard. She died simply because the police were too lazy to take five minutes and search the home of a convicted sex offender with an outstanding arrest warrant who lived within eyesight of the missing girl's home.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: June 10, 2020 09:17AM

Wow. How sad.
How hard would it have been to walk the tracking dog around everywhere on a suspect's property? I just don't get it.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: June 10, 2020 03:22PM

I suspect the answer lies in probable cause. The police would need a warrant to do that search, and if the defendants refused to cooperate that would mean they needed enough independent evidence to meet the preponderance test.

My guess is that one of Chad's friends told the police something s/he had heard and that the cops took that to a judge, who considered it probable cause and authorized the search.

Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: June 10, 2020 04:25PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> I suspect the answer lies in probable cause. The
> police would need a warrant to do that search, and
> if the defendants refused to cooperate that would
> mean they needed enough independent evidence to
> meet the preponderance test.
>
> My guess is that one of Chad's friends told the
> police something s/he had heard and that the cops
> took that to a judge, who considered it probable
> cause and authorized the search.

With regards to the Daybell case, I would think missing children would be enough probable cause to search the home of their parent, especially when the parent and her spouse were being investigated in connection to other deaths.

Date: June 10, 2020 04:35PM

No. It is precisely to protect people who are being investigated that the constitutional prohibitions are enforced.

You need probable cause to arrest someone, then more probable cause to obtain a warrant to conduct a search against their wishes. My guess is the police arrested the happy couple, who then denied any information about the kids as well as requests for permission to search the home and yard.

The police would then have needed to find additional reason to believe the specific evidence they sought was on the premises. It is tempting to believe that that evidence came from the same friends who are now urging Chad to do the right thing.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 10, 2020 04:56PM

slight correction: more PC is needed to arrest someone at their home and/or search their property.

If there's a lesser degree of PC, a person not at their home can be arrested, it's not completely Black/White as some think.

Date: June 10, 2020 05:18PM

I'm not sure what this means. "Probable cause" is "more probable than not." The standard is uniform and does not change from scenario to scenario.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: June 10, 2020 09:40PM

Yes, it makes me wonder if there was some deals being made with Vallow and she might have given up some info.

For awhile I wanted so badly to believe that the kids had been stashed away in some doomsday bunker and would still be found. Could not believe a mother could be so callously living her life in Hawaii if she'd buried her kids. But as time went on, it became pretty evident that the kids were dead and Vallow and Daybell both knew the whole scoop. I am just glad that the families, especially JJ's grandparents will finally get some answers and hopefully some closure when the trials are over and they're put away for good.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 10, 2020 02:54PM

Lurching forward, one step at a time:

I just heard that the Human Remains have been ID'd as being those of "children."

Will Chad and Lori hold off answering questions until Jesus shoes up in six weeks, or will they explain the process they're going through, knowing full well everybody but their believers will be scoffing? <scoff-scoff>

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 10, 2020 03:14PM

And now a story has it that JJ's grandmother has said that authorities have confirmed to her that JJ is one of the bodies.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: June 10, 2020 04:09PM

https://www.deseret.com/utah/2020/6/10/21286576/police-remains-idaho-property-chad-daybell-charged-concealing-evidence-rexburg-lds-lori-vallow

"Although authorities have not yet publicly identified the remains, JJ’s grandmother Kay Woodcock confirmed that one set belongs to the boy, the East Idaho News reported"

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: June 11, 2020 08:04PM

elderolddog Wrote:
> And now a story has it that JJ's grandmother has
> said that authorities have confirmed to her that
> JJ is one of the bodies.

this is so heartbreaking to hear. Those poor kids never had a break with her as a "mother".

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: June 10, 2020 04:32PM

What if Lori finally got tired of being locked up and gave up the information?

Date: June 10, 2020 04:59PM

excellent thought; there remains in most humans a (sometimes slight) desire to tell the truth, to unburden themselves; this is a case where law enforcement ability to read the psyche of subjects comes into play, Knowing when to ask which questions (if they haven't lawyered up).

Posted by: wondering ( )
Date: June 10, 2020 06:20PM

What if Chad made a deal and is blaming Lori? The two charges are just for hiding bodies and have a maximum of 5 years each. They didn’t charge him with murder or manslaughter. That makes me think he made a deal to turn on her. 10 years is just not enough for justice for the kids.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: June 11, 2020 01:58PM

Ten years is a long time to spend among women (not all of them ladies) who know you killed your own children.

Date: June 10, 2020 09:07PM

the cops aren't (all) dumb; any 'deal' would be very closely vetted by the prosecutor. I wouldn't be surprised if the county prosecutor has either hired more employees and/or brought in people from the state and/or other counties...

They will try to maintain the image of other junior cases not being ignored or down-played, but ???

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2020 09:07PM by GNPE.

Date: June 11, 2020 02:42PM

Police officers aren't involved in plea deals. They are negotiated solely by prosecutors.

Date: June 11, 2020 03:05PM

prosecutors communicate with the police as to the details / circumstances of the incident, both written & verbal information; to say they 'aren't involved' at some point isn't truthful, doesn't portray the complete picture.

Date: June 11, 2020 03:13PM

You said the prosecutor would carefully "vet" any plea agreement, suggesting that s/he would review someone else's negotiation. That is not correct.

The police provide their evidence to the prosecutors, who then negotiate the plea with the defendant. There is typically no reference back to the police or, sadly, to the victim of the crime.

Cops aren't involved in the negotiations at all. In fact, they can't be since that would prevent them from testifying in any trial.

Date: June 11, 2020 04:08PM

BY 'VETTED' I said examined. In serious cases, often more than 1 prosecutor would double-check the proposed agreement, that's Vetting.

Date: June 11, 2020 04:41PM

Oh come on. You said "vet," not "examine." You said "the prosecutor," not "prosecutors."

You can stay with your original inaccurate statement or revise that statement to correct it, but you can't reasonably do the latter and call it the former.

Date: June 11, 2020 04:57PM

this back-and-forth is ridiculous.

each trying to convince the other of inane, minor insignificant words / semantics as if we're in a courtroom trying to convince a judge or jury, I'm outta this discussion!

Date: June 11, 2020 05:00PM

Just like you. Say something stupid, defend it with more stupidity, then announce that you are above it all and run away.

It's all so much easier if you just say, "yeah, I spoke too loosely."

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: June 11, 2020 07:23PM

My words mean anything I want them to and I reserve the right to be offended if you don't understand them.

Date: June 11, 2020 08:50PM

Way to bring it all back on topic. Lewis Carroll was a militant Atheist before becoming one of Christianity’s strongest supporters by incorporating its themes in his stories.

Date: June 11, 2020 08:52PM

Lewis Carroll?

The lion and the witch are going to lock you in the wardrobe for that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2020 08:52PM by Lot's Wife.

Date: June 11, 2020 01:33PM

Chad & Lori had First gone to their Bishop & made a sincere, contrite confession ...

The bishop, together with others, would then tout their 'repentance & sorrows' to others, tried to mitigate the consequences for them.

Yup, that's how things work in Morland.

Posted by: BlackSun ( )
Date: June 11, 2020 04:31PM

On the ksl comments my friend suggested checking the Vallow/Daybell yards and ksl didn't print it. Proof all Mormons stick together. Ksl is Mormon owned and Lori and Chad are part of the most corrupt version of mormonism. This is part of why it took so long.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: June 11, 2020 04:58PM

Do you really believe that it occurred to no one in Rexburg that the kids might be buried on Chad Daybell's farm? That if only KSL had printed that suggestion they would have been found sooner? That's preposterous.

Posted by: Lulu not logged in ( )
Date: June 11, 2020 06:30PM

Media is reporting that a neighbor saw large bonfires on the property. Once in the fall, once in the spring.

The cops used this to get a search warrant and found the buried remains in the area of the bonfires.

Date: June 11, 2020 08:59PM

As grizzly as all this is, Lori Vallow could be found mentally incompetent to stand trial.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2020 08:59PM by bradley.

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: June 13, 2020 10:54AM

That's a pretty high bar, isn't it?

AFAIK competency just means she understands the charges against her and is lucid enough to communicate with her lawyer and help in her defense. She is lucid (or at least was when she was out) proven by the fact that she knew she needed to hide what really happened, and by her ability to come up with cover stories to try to do that.

Unless her mental state has diminished while in custody, IMO she will be determined to be mentally competent.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.