Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: June 11, 2020 06:19PM

During the protests last week, a dozen hardcore anarchists broke into a Congressman's office in Chicago, where they stole food and drink and even took naps while other rioters looted just outside the windows.

The law-and-order crowd should be infuriated about this burglary and the concomitant disrespect for both private property and the federal government.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/06/11/chicago-police-lounged-bobby-rushs-burglarized-office-amid-looting/5343896002/

https://www.thedailybeast.com/chicago-cops-made-popcorn-drank-coffee-napped-inside-us-rep-bobby-rushs-office-as-protests-raged

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/06/11/police-officers-lounged-in-rushs-office-while-rioters-pillaged-on-chicagos-south-side-313797

https://www.chicagotribune.com/politics/ct-chicago-police-looting-popcorn-20200611-je3afw3lxbhknicv37ijnncgkq-story.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2020 06:20PM by Lot's Wife.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lulu not logged in ( )
Date: June 11, 2020 06:34PM

I loves me some good anarchists.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 11, 2020 06:37PM

We'll see if they get away with it.

Date: June 11, 2020 06:47PM

What's the difference between an antisocial anarchist and good old fun and games?

Power.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: June 11, 2020 06:48PM

If they were paid more, they wouldn't have resorted to such desperate action, pilfering food!

Date: June 11, 2020 06:58PM

We are all underpaid.

Posted by: xxMo0 ( )
Date: June 11, 2020 08:28PM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We are all underpaid.

Or maybe our money has been inflated to the point that it's squeezing 'all of us' due to the Fed running the printing presses 24/7 which is why prices you see from decades ago seem ridiculously low

Date: June 11, 2020 08:44PM

What were your wages decades ago ? You need to factor that in.

Date: June 11, 2020 08:46PM

Inflation?? This isn't the 1970s, Mr. van Winkle.

Date: June 11, 2020 08:28PM

With respect, caffiend, I don't think this is funny. If the burglars were black men and someone called the police, the event would probably have turned out differently--immediate arrests, charges, sentences, and if a gun were seen, bloodshed. The outcome could thus have reprised the Breona Taylor tragedy, where an innocent nurse was killed by police who did not announce themselves when they broke into the wrong apartment.

The police must obey the law, and they must treat people the same regardless of race. If they cannot do that, they should be in jail like any other criminals.

What we are seeing on the streets and in people's homes is not fun and games; it is Third World stuff. The United States must get its police under control or give up all pretense of global leadership.

Posted by: Anonymous Muser ( )
Date: June 11, 2020 10:12PM

Let's not forget the open-early crowd who waved Confederate flags and carried AR-15s *inside the Michigan Capitol building* in full view of the assembled legislators, in a clear attempt to intimidate. What would the response have been if instead it had been two dozen armed black guys that had marched into the building instead? The things that pass for heads at Fox News would have exploded.

White privilege: the ability to bring semi-automatics into a government building and not be blood-atoned on the spot.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: June 11, 2020 10:21PM

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: June 11, 2020 07:05PM

What are their grievances? Isn’t every criminal a valuable resource on determining where society is failing?

Doesn’t your rhetoric give away your classism? I mean “hardcore anarchists” doesn’t get much more transparent. Anarchists just want to be left alone to live in peace. If they’re violent, by definition they’re not anarchists. They’re a mob.

Besides all that, anyone familiar with Mormon history should be able to see that a mob isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

Date: June 11, 2020 07:10PM

I guess we need to add "anarchist" to the list of words you do not understand.

Date: June 11, 2020 07:43PM

You refuse to examine your own indoctrination? Well, I suppose you should. To the victors go the spoils is good enough for you? Because that’s Mormon doctrine in a nut shell. The land you live on and claim as private property was rightfully stolen from its original inhabitants because their pagan view of the divinity intrinsic in nature, which made the concept of private property morally reprehensible to them, rendered them unworthy stewards of their own land.

Date: June 11, 2020 07:47PM

Do you realize my post was ironic? I don't think you do.

Date: June 11, 2020 09:05PM

I’m kinda dense that way.

Date: June 11, 2020 07:49PM

-archy. a combining form meaning “rule,” “government”.
Technically, Anarchy just means without government just like Atheist means "without theism". Putting an "A" in front of a word negates the word.

Date: June 11, 2020 07:51PM

I meant "anarchist," which has a somewhat different meaning. But it's probably a fruitless endeavor given that a lot of this stuff goes right over bradley's head.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2020 07:58PM by Lot's Wife.

Date: June 11, 2020 09:23PM

My head is always in the clouds. I like the 30,000 foot view. What I see is the chickens coming home to roost. Sowing terror abroad produces the same back home. “They” didn’t bring the war to us, we brought it to ourselves. But it’s a little late to put the bullet back in the gun. The law of the harvest doesn’t play favorites. It just is. Tell me how we deserve either peace or security? I mean we do, but our beliefs tie us to our debts so karma will have its run whether we like it or not. The fall of empires isn’t pretty, but isn’t it exciting to see history in the making?

I’ll say it again. Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. God has me. Always did, always will. I don’t need no stinking church.

Date: June 11, 2020 07:31PM

Not to be confused with "nihilist".

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 11, 2020 07:23PM

To less-than-White-skinned people, in reading of this event, there is not much in the way of a Surprise! factor, such as you Whities may now be experiencing, getting up to speed on what we were already aware of, one way or another.

In the case of cops, the real trouble starts with the combination of an existing prejudice and the doting of Absolute (at least perceived) Power. Put the two together and of course there's going to be trouble! Hire a Bubba and you're going to get Bubba behavior.

Ordinary employees can't cause their employer much in the way of trouble. Termination awaits them if they do. If there's no record/video of an overt act of prejudice, an employee might keep his job in a he-said/the-other-guy-said situation, but after a couple more such accusations, the pattern might result in the employee's dismissal.

But when you're a cop, a White cop especially, your word is always accepted and minority accusers are always lying. Ah, the stories I could tell!

Power corrupts...

What's it like to always have your contested word accepted? It's corrupting!

So if you're prejudiced, and you feel that people who are the focus of your prejudice are bad, when you lie about them, it's okay because you're just making sure that ALL the things they do wrong when they're not being watched are getting punished. You are convinced that you're not lying, rather you're balancing the scales.

Sworn officers are given power over other humans and we know what power can do. Even the good cops know about The Power, and sometimes it can be tempting.

Do you know how many police officers break speed limits when driving their personal vehicles? I want to say 100%... Because for them, the chances of actually getting a ticket are very, very, very slim.

For LAPD officers, they didn't even have to say anything. They pull out the drivers license and the cop who pulled them over would see 150 N. Los Angeles St., Los Angeles, CA 90012 as the home address (It's changed now.) and knows that that driver is an LAPD officer, and then they'd jaw a little, or a lot, and then the LAPD officer would go on his merry way. (I have zero experience when it comes to female officers.)

Power corrupts even the best of human beings. Why allow yourself to look weak or indecisive when whatever decision you make is likely to be upheld? The belief, "I can do no wrong" really does exist among sworn officers. And even when they know they're in the wrong, Hey! they put their lives on the line EVERY DAY! So where's the harm in a little lie about some minority person, balanced against the officer standing between polite society and open rebellion?

And then there's the "us v. them" syndrome. Non-cops are seen as less than 'the best' for the simple reason that they're not cops! Cops know that a significant segment of the White population does not adulate them and that an overwhelming segment of minority populations expect the worst from them. So cops learn to expect push-back, and usually, they are ready to swing (shoot) first before things can get too frisky.

Find yourself a friendly minority and ask him or her about first-hand and second-hand experiences with cops. Hopefully, you're sitting down so that you're legs don't get tired as the stories continue to flow... Some of you won't be able to do this, so feel free to email me!

I have formed the opinion that cops who move up in the ranks become more reliable, more responsible, and thus better at interacting with their 'clientele'. But they remember what it was like to be a street cop, and sometimes they even like to tell stories!

Back in the day when talking about an arrest, a favorite phrase was, "...and he kept falling down!" And the other cops would all laugh and you could see the pride: Captor, judge and jury. Hey, it's dirty job, but someone's got to do it or we'll have anarchy!

And for all of that, I get along with cops, which is just an aspect of my ability to pretty much get along with everyone. I know not to push their buttons, I know to smile and keep eye contact and my hands where they can see them, until they chill out.

I was going to say that it's like learning how to handle someone's hyperactive pitbull; maybe it's an art form? I don't really know. Saucie thinks it's because I'm too lazy to hold onto random grudges.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: June 11, 2020 07:25PM

elderolddog Wrote:
> I was going to say that it's like learning how to
> handle someone's hyperactive pitbull;

Dog whispering when it ain't your dog is a super power. Just ask the people who carry dog treats for other people's dogs.

Date: June 11, 2020 08:00PM

It’s amazing what you can do with a box of Krispy Kremes.

Date: June 11, 2020 08:10PM

That made me do a double-take...

Well played, based on an oldie but a goodie!!

Date: June 11, 2020 09:36PM

I have to admit I stole it from Fluffy.

Date: June 11, 2020 07:48PM

That from a man who has spent more hours investigating crimes than anyone else on the board including, I suspect, caffiend.

Date: June 11, 2020 08:30PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
-----------------------------------------
>
> The law-and-order crowd should be infuriated about
> this burglary and the concomitant disrespect for
> both private property and the federal government.

You're right.

We should eliminate all police and then arrest them.

Umm ... wait

Date: June 11, 2020 08:34PM

With most people I wouldn't have to ask, but did you or the straw man win?

Date: June 11, 2020 08:46PM

I think you missed the point.

But anyway to be serious, if the story is true they should be disciplined and the costs of the damage they did be taken from either the department's budget and/or their own pay.

Date: June 11, 2020 08:50PM

I didn't miss the point. If they did what it appears they did, they belong in jail.

The United States is a First World country and deserves a First World police force. Eliminate the criminals, shut down the unions, establish appropriate oversight and training, and pay the officers what they deserve.

No one here is advocating the "elimination of all police," as you claim. THAT is a straw man. It detracts from reasoned discussion of serious issues.

Date: June 12, 2020 12:10AM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
----------------------------------------------
> The United States is a First World country and
> deserves a First World police force. Eliminate
> the criminals, shut down the unions, establish
> appropriate oversight and training, and pay the
> officers what they deserve.

"Shut down the unions" What are you some kind of right-wing anti-union type?

Collective bargaining is a right hard fought for and won for all workers.

> No one here is advocating the "elimination of all
> police," as you claim. THAT is a straw man. It
> detracts from reasoned discussion of serious
> issues.

No, elimination of all police is exactly what is being advocated by many. If it were just reforms and retraining it'd be another story and not controversial. I wouldn't have a problem with that. Commonsense reforms on a local level taking local considerations and situations into account.

Date: June 12, 2020 01:45AM

> No, elimination of all police is exactly what is
> being advocated by many. If it were just reforms
> and retraining it'd be another story and not
> controversial. I wouldn't have a problem with
> that. Commonsense reforms on a local level taking
> local considerations and situations into account.

Perhaps you should reread what I wrote. Pay particular attention to the word "here."

Date: June 12, 2020 01:51AM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
---------------------------
>
> Perhaps you should reread what I wrote. Pay
> particular attention to the word "here."

My bad, I didn't realize you were only referring to the exmo forum, where the real movers and shakers in this world lurk. I'm sure a few forumites will get right on this case and deal with the problem asap.

Of course by dealing with it I mean posting two additional threads about it here.

Date: June 12, 2020 02:40AM

I'm sorry. I was unaware of the fact that you thought you were addressing politicians and statesmen.

Perhaps we should all get out of the way while you "post two additional threads" on the matter.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 12, 2020 05:02AM

>>Eliminate the criminals, shut down the unions, establish appropriate oversight and training, and pay the officers what they deserve.

Speaking as a unionized worker, unions definitely have their place. A union contract protects both the employer and the worker, and makes expectations clear for both parties, with appropriate grievance procedures if those expectations are not met. Collective bargaining agreements are helpful in the aim of paying officers what they deserve, although I would argue that the pay needs to be improved.

Beyond that, unions can be put in check by laws and regulations. If for instance, you have a law that chokeholds may never used as a restraint, there is nothing that the police union could do about that.

Date: June 12, 2020 02:39PM

Summer, I am not as a principle opposed to unions. In many cases they are net positives (although that often has less to do with workers and organizers than with the characteristics of that particular market).

But there are situations in which unions are a net negative. Imagine, for instance, a union of doctors in which malpractice is impossible to prove because no one will testify against a colleague; or a union of tech billionaires, where they combine their wealth and lobbying power to prevent entrepreneurial or regulatory challenges. Or a union of workers and managers in pharmaceutical companies that sell insulin or other essential medicines and the union insists that prices be maintained far above the market equilibrium. So there is a public policy question involved.

In my view police are a public service. I would have (and have) no objection to a union in that industry if the union were prevented from negotiating review processes and punishment for individuals as well as prevented from raising money to put into political campaigns. There are a lot of cities and towns where the police unions are so powerful that politicians cannot afford to challenge them.

When the people in question have the power to kill, there must be either no unions or unions with very limited powers. THAT is my point, not that unions per se are bad.

ETA: Here's why the police unions deserve a good hard look.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/06/12/george-floyd-police-unions-stand-way-reform-experts-say/5347136002/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2020 03:52PM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: June 11, 2020 08:49PM

No. Police should not be breaking into someone's business and commandeering stuff. That's what they are supposed to be stopping.

The fact that too many police think they are above the law is precisely the point here. The irony is that they are doing this during civil protests about police who think they are above the law.

And I though irony would never recover after Henry Kissinger won the Nobel Peace Prize. I was such an innocent.

Date: June 12, 2020 12:16AM

They left a dollar bill on the congressman's desk.

Posted by: Ted ( )
Date: June 12, 2020 07:56AM

Another irony is that while we all agree that stereotyping is very bad (no question about it), you then stereotype the police to complain about them by focusing on the laziness of a few bad cops in Chicago. Sheesh. Another irony is that you are Canadian...lol.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: June 12, 2020 11:17AM

Who is Canadian and what is ironic?

Date: June 12, 2020 11:35AM

Date: June 11, 2020 09:29PM

I would title this thread : "Statists Burglarize and Occupy Private Property."

Posted by: Officer Fiendly, Shop Steward ( )
Date: June 11, 2020 09:31PM

The total for the George Floyd Riot losses of $126,451,009.57 have been adjusted to reflect this. The national loss now stands at $126,451,028.50 since Floyd's death.

The price of those snacks will be duly deducted from their union dues.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Date: June 11, 2020 09:37PM

Now divide by the number of black people deaths by police to figure the worth of a black person.

Date: June 11, 2020 10:08PM

Send the bill to the white supremacists who did all the damage.

Posted by: Ted ( )
Date: June 12, 2020 07:46AM

"white supremacist"..lol.

If I had a dollar for every time you mention this or right wing "extremist" on this forum, I would have more money than mormon apostle. You are obsessed! Me thinks you protest to much. Are you a closet white supremacist Davey boy?

Date: June 12, 2020 09:40AM

I smell a radical right wing extremist agenda. Do you do anything besides parrot fux nooz ?

Posted by: Donut Fiend ( )
Date: June 12, 2020 10:44AM

Tell us more about this "radical right-wing agenda."

Date: June 12, 2020 10:48AM

Are you woke ?

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: June 12, 2020 04:56PM

Date: June 11, 2020 11:14PM

Wow!

https://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comments/h0xxva/black_man_pulled_over_and_issued_a_warning_for/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

Black man pulled over for going 65 in a 70 mph on a highway. Yay for proactive policing! He wasn’t doing anything wrong then, but he was either coming from doing something wrong or was on his way to something wrong, because, you know, not White!

Date: June 11, 2020 11:26PM

The crime is called driving while black.

Date: June 11, 2020 11:40PM

You got:

Driving while black

BBQing while black

Birding while black

AirBNBing while black

Picking up trash on the side of the highway as a volunteer - not that orange jumpsuit stuff - while black

Jogging while black

Running while black <-- told my kid to NEVER run down the street alone because someone might think he stole something. Learned that from my dad.

Breathing while black

Date: June 11, 2020 11:36PM

you get pulled over for driving five miles UNDER the speed limit. The cop asks you where you work, how long you've worked there, where you're coming from, where you're going, gives you a warning for driving five miles UNDER the speed limit but won't justify giving the warning because "he has things to do"? Like what? Stopping someone else for some dumb old BS like he stopped this guy?

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: June 12, 2020 12:21AM

and it is well known that the Chicago PD has a contentious history with ex-Black Panther Bobby Rush.

There's no excuse for their conduct.

More than any other consideration, it hurts the good officers who are just trying to do their job.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2020 08:21AM by anybody.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 12, 2020 02:36AM

Boston Tea Party

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: June 14, 2020 05:52PM

kill the anarchists or lock them up for breaking the law

Date: June 14, 2020 05:57PM

Perhaps you should look at the videos we are discussing. You are someone with great deference, even reverence, for authority so in this case you may not really want to "kill" the anarchistic scofflaws.

It's amusing, isn't it, how people's interpretations of actions sometimes depends on who the actors are rather than the actions themselves?

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: June 14, 2020 06:03PM

frankie Wrote:
> kill the anarchists or lock them up for breaking
> the law

I am amazed that I have to say this:

The death penalty should never be even a mental option (OR an attempt at black humor) given these particular circumstances.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.