Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: June 26, 2020 09:26PM

Some guys came by trying to sell Ardent pest-control services, almost looked like missionaries dressed alike, but polo shirt and shorts instead of the mission garb. I quickly waved them off the porch, but some neighbors were complaining online about them being really pushy with them (women, mainly), about them coming as late as 9:30 pm and stopping by multiple times in the same week. Sounded like Apex alarm salespeople -- RMs. mainly. I looked them up and they are based in Utah; I wonder if they hire RMs to do their pushy door-to-door sales. I live outside of Utah, but wonder if anyone in Utah is familiar with them.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: June 26, 2020 10:58PM

I know at least one of my relatives who went to Texas and did that one summer. I don't know which company it was, but he said he did pretty well. It wouldn't surprise me in the least that they were mormons from Utah.

The Apex alarm people sold my 90 year old mother a system that she had no idea how to run. She lived in a little town in Idaho at the time. There is virtually no crime in that little town. They got her to agree to the purchase by telling her if she didn't get the alarm system there was a good chance she could get broken into and even raped. Who DOES that to a 90 year old frail woman? It took a note from her doctor to the company attesting to her dementia to get that contract cancelled!

Posted by: MormonMartinLuther ( )
Date: June 26, 2020 11:04PM

Ahh the good old internal value system of mormons. It is so strong it has to be regulated externally.

This probably the very reason why Q15 had to change temple questions from are you honest in your dealing with your fellow men? to Do you "strive" to be honest in all that you do? Too many Utah mormons couldn't pass the made up exam.

Luckily, the next question they ask if you pay tithing so they can breathe easier. As one deceptive hand washes the other.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 26, 2020 11:50PM

MormonMartinLuther Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ahh the good old internal value system of mormons.
> It is so strong it has to be regulated externally.
>
>
> This probably the very reason why Q15 had to
> change temple questions from are you honest in
> your dealing with your fellow men? to Do you
> "strive" to be honest in all that you do? Too many
> Utah mormons couldn't pass the made up exam.
>
> Luckily, the next question they ask if you pay
> tithing so they can breathe easier. As one
> deceptive hand washes the other.

Re the Honesty Question:

? does rephrasing the question that way 'make them more honest'?

just asking, mind U...

Posted by: txrancher ( )
Date: June 27, 2020 10:47PM

Well...my son is one of those. He is an RM and is (by happy accident) down here in my city doing the pest control sales. He's with friends and hard work being outside all day in the hot southwest weather, I don't get the idea they are pushy, but using conversational skills they learned on missions and trying to earn a living.

He's a really good young man and always been a little shy. As much as I was not happy he went on a mission (and felt like his mother pressured him), he learned to look people in the eye and talk with them. He and is friends came over the other day...they seem like good respectful kids, too. .

I'm sure that some are pushy, though. I'd say cut the rest a little slack, though, it's someone son and could be mine.

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: June 29, 2020 10:39AM

Thanks for confirming. Whoever is running sales in our area needs to more organized so they're not repeatedly going back to the same houses. Personally, didn't have that problem, I told them I already have a guy, which is true even though he really just comes for an annual termite inspection as part of a plan -- but he is good about giving DIY advice on other stuff.

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: June 29, 2020 10:59AM

Had a similar experience a few years back... this young man asked me who does my pest control... I proceeded to bear my testimony of the joy I get in doing my own pest control and that it brings me nearer to God, and that my family reaps teh blessings of me doing this most sacred work on my lawn. I tried to throw enough mormonism in there mingled with some evangelical flavorings to keep it a little ambiguous. I had fun with that sales guy on that day. Cannot wait for Judgement Day so I can see the replay of his expression to my crazed ramblings.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.