Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Zeeeeezrom ( )
Date: July 06, 2020 12:55PM

Humor me, please:

A piece of fabric that you wear to allegedly protect you from an unseen “evil power” (and even physical harm!) that outwardly shows your inner commitment to a greater Good, because an authority figure said so.

So, what’s the difference between a mask and the “holy” garments?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 06, 2020 01:19PM

I wear a mask in public because

1. I don't want to catch the covid and a mask increases my chances of achieving that goal

2. I'm secure enough in my skin to not care what you think or write.

While I don't hope you catch it, I'll shyly smile should I hear that you did.

Posted by: Adam the empath ( )
Date: July 11, 2020 12:58PM

Old dog for the win.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: July 06, 2020 01:43PM

One serves a practical purpose and one doesn't.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 06, 2020 01:54PM

Medical workers, firefighters, police, soldiers, cooks, etc. all wear protective gear to reduce the threat of harm.

Garments might offer some protection if they were made out of silk, which has a greatly reduced capacity to burn. They might keep you warm in the winter, like thermal underwear, or at night, like pajamas. Other than that, their ability to protect is fiction.

Posted by: logged out again ( )
Date: July 06, 2020 02:49PM

Why should we humor you, who has done nothing but troll the board since you began posting under your current username? What have you done to merit that kind of courtesy?

That said –

Garments are designed to protect the wearer from an imaginary threat. Because the threat is fictional, garments provide no benefit.

Masks are designed to protect OTHER PEOPLE from a real and present threat. If your notion of "freedom" includes the freedom to infect other human beings with a contagious pathogen, then surely you must agree that others have the identical freedom to infect you, and your family, with that same pathogen, because literally anyone you meet can be infected. While not foolproof, masks have been shown to be effective.

You don't seem to have a lot of respect for others' health and safety. You therefore can't reasonably expect others to respect yours, or those you care about, either.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 06, 2020 03:21PM

> Why should we humor you, who has done nothing but
> troll the board since you began posting under your
> current username? What have you done to merit that
> kind of courtesy?

. . .

> You don't seem to have a lot of respect for
> others' health and safety. You therefore can't
> reasonably expect others to respect yours, or
> those you care about, either.

Lapidary statements that should be displayed wherever people intend to think.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: July 07, 2020 10:07AM

So if I want to protect myself from Covid, I should wear my garment bottoms on my face? Why doesn’t Beehive Clothing make temple face masks with that special extra mojo?

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: July 06, 2020 03:32PM

>> ".....because an authority figure said so."

That's all you can come up with? Thousands are dead, more will be dead today, and tomorrow......and all you have is a problem with authority?

Pathetic trolling at its finest.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: July 06, 2020 08:30PM

But Roy! Don't you know those are all lies? The satanist scientists are working for the Global Illuminati! All those people in the hospital are ACTORS. Geeze Roy, keep up!

Really, these people are losing out on making money writing fiction. My imagination isn't this good. But they are also getting visions from God telling them this crap. Vallow and Daybell are not unique. At least Daybell made some cash off it.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Sealioning

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: July 07, 2020 08:23AM

OMG, I should have known. My Italian sister-in-law's mother, whom I first met 20 years ago, and who died of COVID in Milan in April, was an ACTOR all along! Faceplant me in the compost!

Date: July 07, 2020 08:41AM

I am so sorry to hear that :( I truly did not mean to make light of it but that is the crap that is going around here. Zeeeeezrom and his ilk are spreading this dangerous misinformation and some others are believing it. Simple science like masks are being turned into political conspiracy theories that I have never even seen in fiction. Masks are being used to condition us to our handlers and we are all going to be injected with microchips.

I am glad that you are safe over there in France where people are not so cray. You know I really am sorry :(

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: July 07, 2020 10:05AM

Susan, I wasn't getting at YOU! You know I love you :-)

My anger was directed at unpleasant crazies like Zeeeeezrom. I was trying to underscore the point your were making.

Tom in Paris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2020 10:05AM by Soft Machine.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 07, 2020 02:17PM

I'm sorry, Tom.

Posted by: William Law ( )
Date: July 06, 2020 07:01PM

"So, what’s the difference between a mask and the “holy” garments?"

If you are using them as a metaphor, fine. But, one of those things is actually protective of your life.

Posted by: Ex-Cultmember ( )
Date: July 06, 2020 09:12PM

Well, one actually protects us and others from physical harm. The other doesn’t. Even the LDS church now admits the garment has no magical power to protect from physical. It now is only a “reminder” of one’s temple covenants.

Posted by: Anziano Young ( )
Date: July 06, 2020 11:26PM

Viruses are real.

Posted by: Mary Baker Eddy ( )
Date: July 08, 2020 10:54PM

For that matter, I'm not really "dead." I'm just having a temporary problem metaphysically understanding that my "death" is really an illusion.

Posted by: Anziano Young ( )
Date: July 10, 2020 08:43PM

What a treat! I'm no doctor, so perhaps my medical advice will carry some weight:

You dead, gurl.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 07, 2020 12:29PM

Zeeeeezrom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So, what’s the difference between a mask and the
> “holy” garments?

A mask protects your pie hole while garments protect your clothing from your cake hole.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 07, 2020 12:57PM

the previous 'garments' have markings on them that give them 'Super Powers'...

I suggest these markings if they go with 'temple masks':

- Sign of sneeze droplets being deflected by the mask

- Sign of running / not weary, Walk / not faint

- Sign of 'health in navel'

Posted by: Ted ( )
Date: July 07, 2020 01:04PM

It's funny that you mentioned this, but my parents have returned going to church here locally. They divided the ward into several groups, e.g. "A-D" meets at 9:00am for 30 minutes. They mentioned that the bishop gave a talk about how the masks protect us from real "physical" viruses, mush like the temple garment protects from "spiritual' viruses from the adversary.

Date: July 07, 2020 01:47PM

My neighbors went to church this week for the first time in months. They hated it. My wife says she doesn't know when she will feel safe enough to attend again. Yeah!

If masks can get rid of garments that would be a huge win for me.

Date: July 09, 2020 07:21PM

Mormonism is like Ralph Nader’s “Unsafe at any speed”.

Posted by: ufotofu ( )
Date: July 08, 2020 11:46AM

Face garments

Date: July 08, 2020 05:32PM

Oh God, hear the words of my ass, repeated three times.

Posted by: MormonMartinLuther ( )
Date: July 09, 2020 03:26AM

Whether it is by Beehive Clothing or another manufacturer, it is the same.

Masks traditionally have been used to reduce the exchange of undesirable fluids like getting blood in your mouth while it is opened or dropping nose hairs into an open wound while performing surgery.

Likewise, underwear stops the exchange of urine or fecies that going commando would facilitate. Unfortunately, sharting or peeing your pants has proven it is not the end all be all barrier.

This is how masks are when it comes to "saving us all" from micro sized particles. It may reduce in some cases but it will not prevent. There is no true safety if it really is a micron sized particle that is entering your airways. People will need to breathe while wearing a mask and that pathway in as well as pathway out is the trojan horse.

In context, this may be why the surgeon general said to stop buying masks it doesn't work and let hospital workers use them who come in to direct contact with such fluids. This is also why doctors have "unconceivably" been getting sick with the virus even though they were using these same masks if not better ones available to the medical profession, certainly better than what most people can buy these days, but still the same result.

At the end of the day, they are measily strips of cloth that can be used to hide our mouth or our butt in case we become a "medical expert" that necessitates talking out of both.

Date: July 09, 2020 07:24PM

I get all that, but why aren’t Jesus Jammies being promoted as PPE?

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: July 09, 2020 07:45PM

The Surgeon general said to stop buying N-95 masks, specifically, and leave those to medical personnel. he also reversed himself on that decision not long after when more data was available that showed masks and distancing decreasing transmission by as much as 80%.

As well, the high rate of the virus among medical personnel has much more to do with sheer viral load than anything else.

Try to know more about a subject before mindlessly spouting off about it.

Date: July 10, 2020 05:26AM

You are correct. And we are still doing poopall to build up the PPE supply. Masks for non medical range widely. You have to do your homework. Mine are two layer of good quilting cotton with an additional filter pocket and filter with nose piece and they cover the chin too. I found some ready made ones I really wanted (Starry Starry Night) and retrofitted them with an extra layer and pocket. Perfect? Nope. But they are a hell of a lot better than nothing. Nothing doesn't seem to be working out so well for us.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: July 13, 2020 03:28PM

COVID masks help due to a scientifically medical reason. Mormon garments are merely magical.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.