Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mrx ( )
Date: July 19, 2020 12:35PM

https://www.legacy.com/news/covid19-memorial/silvia-deyanira-melendez/

and more recently, a 32 year old Utah mother of 2 died from COVID-19.

The rebellious folks in Utah County - home of BYU of course - packed 100 people into a small room recently to protest against the Governor's possible mask requirement for school kids. And wouldn't you guess - hardly any of the 100 had a mask. Just didn't feel like it I guess.

Meanwhile, while Utah had one of the nation's lowest COVID-19 death tolls back in March and April, and even May I think, hospitalizations and deaths seem to be spiking in Utah. New cases in Utah seem to be up to about 600 or 700 per day. Headed to 1,000+/day?

Age won't always protect - - 24 yr old dead and 32 yr old dead and so on. . .

That's just fine and dandy if Utah County folks want to protest against masks. When their relatives and elderly citizens start dropping dead right and left, maybe they'll reconsider a bit.

What do the fine folks of Provo want to do: start up church meetings and marriages and funerals just like the old days: no masks?, shake hands?, sacrament like it used to be?, defiant of any Governor order?

Utah County could become the hottest of all hot-spots in the USA. What a way to grab attention!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/utah-reports-760-new-cases-and-8-new-deaths-from-covid-19-utah-county-emerging-as-new-hot-spot/ar-BB16UByR

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: July 19, 2020 12:41PM

So Heavenly Father needed her to help with the work in the spirit world? Nice.

Dead or Alive their religion works great.

But like Kathleen said the other day----that 1% chance of dying quickly becomes 100% when it's your loved one---or you.

Date: July 19, 2020 12:56PM

What are "the brethren" saying about any of this coronavirus stuff? What wise advice resulting from glorious revelations from God are the top 15 LDS dudes providing? My guess- - - they don't have a clue about what the hell kind of advice to dish out.

This pandemic is obviously creating havoc for the "only true church" on earth TCOJCOLDS. Missionary program on life-support and basically in tatters, teenage LDS members loving the lack of boring church meetings, old folks will refuse to go back to meetings until they are sure they get a reliable effective vaccine (way out in the future), LDS boys (and possibly girls) rejoining Boy Scouts, and could consider YM/YW programs to be lame, LDS handshaking a thing of the past (for now), BYU football has most of the opponents cancelling games, and the list is endless . . .

Date: July 19, 2020 01:15PM

What is havoc?

wide and general destruction
total mayhem
great confusion or disorder
spoiled and in ruin
disorderly chaos
unexpected upheaval
ruination

. . . yes that pretty well describes the current state of TCOJCOLDS

Date: July 19, 2020 01:45PM

BYU Jerusalem Center cancels everything until mid-2021 at the earliest.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 19, 2020 02:02PM

This decision was not made by a cautious, concerned mormon ghawd. Give this one to the Israelis authorities..

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: July 19, 2020 04:28PM

Cats and dogs, living together, total chaos.

Mormonism is an extrovert’s religion. It just doesn’t work without physical gatherings. I suppose this is Covid’s silver lining.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: July 19, 2020 04:40PM

I think the current situation illustrates the power of the President in establishing (or not) moral authority. For example, after Bill and Monica oral was moral. A POTUS who wanted mask compliance during the early lockdown would have gotten it and curve flattening would have had a chance. We could have been like Europe, voluntarily. But we were hoodwinked, and having been members of the church we all know how that works.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: July 19, 2020 02:09PM

Instead of the profit himself making a statement as a doctor and a religious leader, the area presidency issued a decree for all mormons in Utah to wear a mask in public. Interesting that the staunchest supporters of mormonism are ignoring this commandment.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 19, 2020 01:07PM

Could age be a factor? I know that in Baltimore City's "hot zone" -- zip code 21224, there is an area, Canton, that is a popular place for young people in their twenties to early 30s. They are out congregating in large groups and partying like it's 1999. There are likely other factors in this particular hot zone, but it seems that we can't get through to young adults that they are not immortal.

Date: July 19, 2020 01:33PM

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/colorado-governor-national-testing-scene-is-a-complete-disgrace/ar-BB16VIi4?ocid=msedgntp

Provo/Orem/Pleasant Grove folks might disagree, but Colorado Governor claims:
"masks are a ticket to more freedom"

Governor Polis issued a statewide mask requirement in Colorado Thursday.

Governor Herbert: do you have the guts to do what Polis did in Colorado?

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 19, 2020 02:00PM

Provo's little stunt protest last week did make the national news, so I am sure there will be follow-up reporting, especially if Utah County becomes more of a hot spot that it currently is.

The county is so suburban, and has so few drinkers, meaning few people hang out in bars, I think the virus would have a hard time spreading just because of that. Of course they have teen crowds at DQ instead.

Yeah, I think LDS Inc is not doing well in this pandemic. Nothing that I can think of is going better for them because of the pandemic, and most of their programs are taking it squarely on the nose.

I fully expect both births and marriages to be way down next year. Baptisms will be way down this year, and hardly any new stakes will be formed. In fact marriages will be way down this year too, as well as next year.

I can hear Jeff Holland's General Conference Lament now.....

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 19, 2020 02:18PM

Perhaps mormon ghawd's very own church has created a dangerous hubris? An Elect People deserve (expect?) an Elect Result!

I acknowledge that as a believing member, I felt that I had special protections not available to mere Gentiles. Daddy liked me more! So if mormons are stricken at the same rate as the heathen, what are hormone to think?

More likely, TBMs who don't 'suffer' in this pandemic will simply figure that ghawd was allowing sinner-saints to be stricken. Maybe mormonism will take some comfort in the view that mormon covid19 dead were stubble burnt in the field?

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: July 19, 2020 02:34PM

>...especially if Utah County becomes more of a hot spot that it currently is.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2020/07/18/no-letup-utah-reports/

"Utah County added 198 cases coming after seeing at least 150 new cases on each of the past two days, indicating that county may be taking over the distinction as the state's worst hot spot from Salt Lake County, where the rate of new infections has been slowing"

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: July 19, 2020 02:05PM

Bet they would object mightily if you smoked a cigarette next to them in a closed space. Not so different for me.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: July 19, 2020 02:06PM

Exactly.

Date: July 19, 2020 05:21PM

And very nearly every time you use a seatbelt, it turns out to have been unnecessary. The catch is, you don't know when it is necessary (seatbelt, or mask) until it is too late to do anything about it.

Posted by: Anonymous Muser ( )
Date: July 19, 2020 03:14PM

Mormons just need to fast harder.

Or boost tithing to 12% in order to give Elohim & Jehovah an incentive they can understand.

"The Lord is displeased with us, my dear brothers and sisters in the gospel, for we have been neglectful of the sacred principle of tithing. He has impressed upon my soul of late…"

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 19, 2020 05:34PM

Headline : "More than 80 babies test positive for COVID-19 in one Texas county"

Posted by: Free Man ( )
Date: July 20, 2020 01:30AM

Because of all the young people dying, universities will cease to exist. And no more concerts or sports or flying on airplanes, or working in groups, or going to beaches or swimming pools or theaters or restaurants or wherever people gather.

Even after the Covid is over, there will be other deadly viruses.

It is a new world.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: July 20, 2020 04:19AM

Yes, because all viruses are the same.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: July 20, 2020 11:54AM

I was driving around Provo yesterday (hadn't been there in many decades) and at an intersection near the BYU campus saw a large gathering of students exiting a chapel. All of them had face masks -- in their hands! None of them were wearing them and they were all in a bunch. Good luck!

Posted by: notmonotloggein ( )
Date: July 20, 2020 01:32PM

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 20, 2020 01:36PM

Feel free to wail! And yes, I was personally very concerned about that.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: July 20, 2020 06:28PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwWleDNnbuo

Festival Brasileiro Em Utah, Estados Unidos 2020

Utah is partying.

Date: July 21, 2020 03:54AM

Last one was Sept 2019. I didn't see anything one way or the other about a festival this year on their web site. My Portuguese or hearing is too rusty to follow what the woman in the video was saying

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: July 26, 2020 08:55AM

Brother Of Jerry, I copy and pasted some comments into a translate engine and you are right it was from 2019.

"Simmm! Todos os anos em Setembro. Vc tem que vir da próxima vez! Vc vai amar. Não sei se eles vão ter esse ano por causa do Coronavirus mas se tiver VENHA!!!!"

"Yes! Every year in September. You have to come next time! You'll love it. I don't know if they will have this year because of the Coronavirus but if they do COME !!!!"

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.