Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: July 21, 2020 10:10PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: July 21, 2020 10:58PM

Patty Bartlett Sessions

In church lore she was not only one of Joseph's wives, she was also his mother in law as her daughter was also married to Joseph.

She was present for many important early church happenings as well as part of the early relief society history.

She records receiving her second annointing in her journal.

She was a midwife and delivered over 4000 babies.

She also dressed and prepped bodies for burial.

She established a school.

She walked to utah.

She kept journals that are currently published as Patty Bartlett mormon midwife.

She was active in crossbreeding plants and trees. The Sessions Plum is one result of her work. (She also comes from the same family responsible for the Bartlett pear.)

Family lore states that when the bishop refused to refund money she overpaid for tithing, she went to Brigham and demanded the money. Brigham paid her.

She was a remarkably strong, self reliant and stubborn woman.

Date: July 21, 2020 11:07PM

Forgot her best quote something along this line." I've completed all the temple work for my known ancestors now I never have to go to the temple again."

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: July 21, 2020 11:03PM

On my Dad’s side, My ancestors were all in Utah before the railroad arrived. True pioneers. I have ancestors buried in Nauvoo, Haun’s Mill and “on the trail” in Nebraska. Half were handcart company members.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2020 11:05PM by csuprovograd.

Posted by: DaveinTX ( )
Date: July 22, 2020 10:49AM

On my dad's side, we have a man and his family that were in the 1847 group. His name (my last name) is on the monument at the mouth of Emigration Canyon. My dad's mother was never mormon, so nothing there.

On my mom's side, some of her dad's family came to GSLC in the handcart companies. Her mom's family came in 1862, and I think took a train ride for a lot of the way.

Posted by: loislane ( )
Date: July 22, 2020 11:53AM

mY G GRANDFATHER SURVIVED THE wILLIE hANDCARD ExPEDITIO,BUT HIS (AT THE TIME) ONLY SON DIDN'T.

hE WAS LATER A LEADER OF THE hOLE iN tHE rOCK EXPEDITION, MARRIED TWO MORE WIVES, SERVED AS bISHOP OF bLUFF AND HAD LOTS OF CHILDREN, INCLUDING MY NAMESAKE GRANDMA.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: July 22, 2020 11:58AM

Great, Great Grandpa was an "adopted son" of Brigham Young back when that was some sort of church ordinance. He stood by Young during the conflicts over succession after Smith's death and came West with Brigham.
Whether Great, Great was a true believer or whether he was in on Brigham's con is lost to the mists of time.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: July 22, 2020 07:31PM

Living in Utah I always felt that claims to pioneer heritage was a claim to some kind of special status within Mormonism. Sort of Celestial plus.

Posted by: doyle18 ( )
Date: July 23, 2020 03:58PM

Even outside of Utah, those who can claim pioneer heritage have royalty status in the ward.

Posted by: spwdone ( )
Date: July 22, 2020 11:17PM

My grandmother was a Sessions as well and I have heard a similar story. Wonder if we are related? I have not done ant family history so no idea what the names are past my great grandmother in that line.

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: July 23, 2020 11:21AM

Part of the family was baptized by Hyrum Smith. Others came over in the Willie hand-cart fiasco. Uber-Great Grandfather was the temple president somewhere in So Utah, (can't remember where). Most were polygamists. One was one of the church historians during BY's time. Reading his journals is what started me out of the church.

Posted by: g0rgone ( )
Date: July 23, 2020 02:43PM

My GGG uncle on my mother's side was David W. Patten.

You know, the OG apostle/martyr that spoke with Bigfoo- I mean Cain?

My father always bragged about marrying into that connection while I was growing up. Talk about grasping for straws of superiority....

Posted by: toomanytarotdecks ( )
Date: July 24, 2020 05:23PM

On my mother's side are some folks that were part of an ox drawn wagon company. No pulling handcarts for them thankyouverymuch! My great grandmother was a Wheadon from South Jordan who married a Tilbury. Related to Joseph F. Smith and Lorenzo Snow somewhere along the line. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Posted by: P. Luke ( )
Date: July 24, 2020 05:47PM

I never understood this "pioneer worship" cult within the Mormon Cult. The fact that one's ancestor did something has nothing to do with the descendant who is alive today. Unlike DNA, most personality traits are not passed down through generations. Even DNA suffers a 50% dilution with each generation. That means if you are Joseph Smith's great, great granddaughter, you only share about 6.25% of DNA with Smith. In every state you could legally marry Smith and not have to worry about being too genetically similar, such that recessive traits would likely appear.

Take pride in what you do, not your ancestors, because they have very little to do with you.

Date: July 24, 2020 08:55PM

I never saw it as a shared DNA, I see it as a chain of accomplishments built one on the other.

I have a possibly unique perspective in the my grandfather who I new well was born in the 1800s. He knew his great grandparents born in the 1700s and would tell me stories of those he knew and the stories of others going back even further and their involvement in the founding of the country or other contributions made by them.

My grandfather taught me woodcraft and knife fighting the same as he was taught by his grandfather. Both skills have served me well.

My grandmothers taught us home remedies, gardening, canning etc as they were taught. Some family recipes are over 200 years old.

Values taught long before mormonism run in our family. Patriotic pride, honesty, self reliance etc were part of our family before the mormon influence and continue even though most have walked away from the church.

I tell my grandchildren about ancestor long gone as examples of what they can achieve.

I'm not special because I'm related to Joseph Smith. I am however who I am because of what I've learned, observed and shared in my family.

Honoring them does not honor the elite of mormondom, it honors a family unit kept together for over 500 years and counting.

Posted by: P. Luke ( )
Date: July 24, 2020 07:12PM

Mormon families bragging about their pioneer ancestors reminds me of a joke. They are like the potato family in that all the good parts are underground.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.