Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ChalchedonJebster ( )
Date: July 22, 2020 11:05AM

A couple of weeks ago there was this local/regional poll asking people what kind of neighbour they wanted or not.

They wanted to catch a glimpse of peoples preferences. Socially, culturally, gender and so on.

Personally I like good neighbours and I do not want to have any relationship with them. After almost a whole life with social control I can only answer that I have no preferences except that they are good and I do not want to have any form of contact with them.

If there is an emergency I will help. 100%.

I must admit that I do not care, I think the poll asekd to many questions. People can move in or out of the neighbourhood, I do not care, zilch interest.

There is this sentiment saying that you must get involved in the community. I have been involved enough.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: July 22, 2020 11:23AM

>> "I have no preferences except that they are good"

Define good. And are you good? And how would you know you're good if you have no relationship with neighbors?

Posted by: ChalchedonJebster ( )
Date: July 22, 2020 03:39PM

My preference is that a good neighbour is someone I do not have any contact with.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: July 22, 2020 07:16PM

I live in the country too, neighbors are not too close. A good neighbor for me is one I have no negative interactions with as opposed to no interaction at all.

Posted by: OneWayJay ( )
Date: July 22, 2020 12:01PM

Farm country - our nearest neighbor is a mile away. Next one is two and it is nice and quiet.

Few mormons around.

No missionaries.

We do have Moose - much nicer than Mormons.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: July 22, 2020 03:54PM

Same deal here. Nearest neighbor is a mile away and I don't know some of the newer ones but us long timer's are friends and good people and nary a TBM among them.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 22, 2020 02:29PM

Christ-Like love, Christ-Like living < > Mormonism

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 22, 2020 03:21PM

My favorite neighbor is one who is a potential friend. Next best is someone that I can be neighborly with -- short conversations, perhaps some occasional help one way or the other. After that, someone who is pleasant and doesn't cause any major problems.

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: July 22, 2020 04:01PM

Do I care about my neighbor? To me, a good neighbor is one who doesn't bother me. I won't bother them, and I hope they don't bother me. However, if a neighbor needed help, I would be willing to help out as much as I possibly could.

This goes along the line of what is a good Home Teacher. I've had plenty and the ones I liked the most were the ones who didn't come over every freaking month and ask the same questions over and over: "how's it going? "how ya doing?" "how's it going?"

Currently I don't know my neighbors and that works for me. I see them, I wave, but that's were it ends. They are great neighbors for me. Am I a good neighbor? I dunno. If ignoring a neighbor makes a good neighbor, then I would say that I am a good one.

Experience has also taught me that people will use me if I let them, and being a good neighbor opens that door wide open, and in some cases (Home Teacher) it takes the door off of the hinges and throws it into the trash heap.

Oh, do you have a lawn mower by any chance?

Posted by: Southbound ( )
Date: July 22, 2020 08:02PM

Reprove- I am almost your neighbour when I deliver to P and H

Posted by: spwdone ( )
Date: July 22, 2020 11:13PM

Hiya all, haven’t been on in 15-20 years when I was a frequent flyer dealing with my new life as a non-cult member. Once you get sorted seems like you don’t need it as much, but this place was a sanity saver for me for years. One of my TBM sisters is finally waking up from the fog and talking to her made me take another look here.

My two cents: Neighbors can be great, or can be a curse. Personally, I like neighbors at a healthy distance who you wave at in passing, pet the dog and chat with for a friendly minute or two when you run into each other. They can call on you in an emergency and vice versa, but otherwise you all live your own lives!

Years of LDS neighbors and HT & VT taught me the value of distance. :)

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: July 23, 2020 06:22AM

The thing about neighbors/friends is that we get what we give. At one point or another we all need something. Maybe your neighbor is good at electrical work. Maybe your neighbor runs a business and can employ someone you care about. If we take the time to shoot the breeze and Bull Shit for a few minutes it can save thousands of dollars down the road when we need a job done for cheep.

This every man for himself way of living is a dangerous road in general to take. It leads to the reality of our only friends becoming the police. And relying on law enforcement and the government for our well being is seriously a bad bad situation in the end.

Posted by: ufotofu ( )
Date: July 24, 2020 08:32PM

It doesn't matter if I care about them

Like you, essentially I don't...

As long as they (care about me) are good! Wonderful. Beautiful. Helpful. Caring. Thoughtful. Inspiring. Inclusive. Neighborly...

The only problem is their neighbors. What if THEY aren't good.

There goes the neighborhood - GOOD!
(Just kidding) - back to the wood...
And front to the street!

What good is a house unless you have to hide... and in many cases, that's not the safest place to be.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.