Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: LowEnergyDude ( )
Date: July 24, 2020 12:59PM

Been inside my home since late february.

Daily I wake up around 5:40, have a quick cup of coffee or tea plus some meds, I dress and step outside the house and take a power walk in a park for an hour. Back at home I take a shower, have my breakfast and two cups of coffee and when I am done I feel ready to go to bed again. Seriously.

I read PDFs I have saved on my computer. Watch youtube, listen to music.

I do some shopping online once a week and pick up the food in a box outside the mall.

Hopefully I will be able to return in late august to my workplace. But as things are looking now it seems not to be very likely at all. Spring? I hope so.

I am in isolation because of two family members that would likely not survive getting infected by the virus.

Just had to write some words down.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: July 24, 2020 01:01PM

Time spent outside my home daily is one hour. So not inside my house all the time but the routine is afwul.

Posted by: schweizerkind ( )
Date: July 24, 2020 01:17PM

but it's better than ending up on a ventilator.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: July 24, 2020 01:23PM

Pretty honorable, looking out for those two family members. :)

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: July 24, 2020 01:41PM

I did puzzles. Crosswords, sudoku, cryptograms etc.

Just bought a new phone with video conference ability. My little 5 year old granddaughter wears a mask when she video chats so I won't get sick.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: July 24, 2020 03:20PM

Heartless Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My little 5 year old granddaughter wears
> a mask when she video chats so I won't get sick.

Adorable

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: July 24, 2020 01:43PM

A suggestion:

What have you "always" wanted to do but never had time to do it?

Learn to play the guitar?

Learn Spanish?

???

Whatever you've "always" wanted to do, this is THE time life has carved out for you.

Take advantage of it, because these kinds of opportunities (thankfully!) are rare in most of our lives.

Date: July 24, 2020 03:49PM

Tevai Wrote:
> Whatever you've "always" wanted to do, this is THE
> time life has carved out for you.

A great positive approach on the current challenging realities. Even here in BC where the counts are low our public health officer still regularly warns that we are on the cusp and if we don't continue to follow the 3-fold guidelines (masks, distance, hygiene) we can quickly find ourselves in the COVID soup.

It certainly can feel isolating and gets depressing even for the most cheery amongst us.

It's a good time to maintain (or assume) positive approaches in all areas, such as healthy eating, curbing the less desirable impulses (such as over-indulging in food, alcohol or substances) and purposefully seeking out opportunities to be good to ourselves. Look for ways to keep our spirits up such as playing music we love and reading a good book or three. It can really help to maintain social contact, even if only by brief friendly social interactions while shopping or doing other errands.

I have found that even while wearing masks people can still relate on a friendly basis. I note that many make extra efforts to obtain eye contact and you can tell people are smiling at you even if you can't see their entire face - watch for the eye crinkles and twinkles. Little moments where a mom perceives you smiling at her cute baby and responds warmly in passing can be heartwarming.

Again, I'm fortunate to be in a low-count area where we are in Phase 3, meaning going to sit-down restaurants and even bars (the latter much more risky though) as well as shopping malls. I feel relatively safe if I stay on guard (as not all people buy into the masks/distancing measures). I know that many are under stricter lockdowns and yes, that would be difficult. In the early days here when we were shut-in (not mandatory but strongly suggested with many closures and shortages abounding) even though I am happy enough to be on my own I did start feeling a bit down after a while.

It's certainly an unprecedented and challenging situation - perhaps the most difficult in the lifetimes of most of us. When I'm feeling sick of it all or sorry for myself or even, god forbid, a bit reckless/careless about it, it helps me to think about my good fortune compared to the perils of others. It can sound cliche and simplistic but it really does help me, most of the time. Just this morning, sick of feeling constrained despite our relative freedoms, and hearing a lot of people complaining about various pieces of it all, I was thinking how fortunate we are that some safeguards are in our own hands (the 3 basic measures of prevention) so we don't have to feel totally helpless, unlike if you're in a hurricane or a ship wreck or any other natural disaster that comes upon you and no matter who you are or how much you prepare you end up with no control and potentially life-threatening issues to confront. It kind of, most of the time, does help me to cheer up a bit when I get down. Keeping things in perspective I guess is what I mean.

That is not to take away from the isolation, illness and deprivations that can and do occur in the midst of this crisis. It's just my general approach to try and keep myself from sinking too low. Despite being in a very good place with our local situation re the virus we're still in perilous times and I can see how being in a more heavily hit area can be devastating physically obviously but emotionally and socially and all other ways too.

Officials here really push the idea that we should keep in mind that our actions are for the good of "the collective" and for many that puts a positive spin on any curtailments we are under momentarily. Too, we are actively helping ourselves through our considered actions and the changes we make to keep ourselves and others safe, as far as it lies within our own control.

Definitely scary and challenging though. I think it's good to express one's feelings of isolation, deprivation, concern, apprehension sadness - all the emotions that such an overwhelming situation can provoke. I've never felt so sad or cried so much over the plight of strangers I will never meet. So many tragedies. So overwhelming at times. One good piece of advice is not to overdose on the news coverage. And hopefully most of us have outlets online and by phone where we can enjoy human contact, even if only via eyes or voice.

I have felt bored too even though I love to be alone and to read a lot. But you know what they say - too much of a good thing... I have found that is certainly true. I'm lucky that I work from home and a little bit of work has returned. Actually, that has made me value the time off even more - I'd rather curl up with any book at all than be working right now. It could get easy to become quite lazy.

Meanwhile, be careful out there y'all and in the now immortal words of our esteemed and popular public health officer: Be kind. Be calm. Be safe.

And we'll see each other on the other side!

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: July 24, 2020 02:01PM

I admire your desire to protect others. I have to be extremely careful for myself (I'm in several high risk groups).

I avoid people, but I do take my dog for long walks every day (which makes him very happy), and I get out on my bicycle almost every day. I get my groceries delivered and I sometimes get restaurant takeout.

It's amazing how many mundane things I miss, and I hope I won't take them for granted in the future (knowing me, I will take them for granted eventually, but hopefully less so).

I have determined that I will never get bored enough to read the Bool of Mormon.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: July 24, 2020 02:35PM

I am spending the time working on a book I am writing.

Posted by: DaveinTX ( )
Date: July 24, 2020 02:56PM

I got it, but have recovered. Likely was exposed on about 6/15. Wife, son, and I all got tested on 6/24. Got my result on 7/1 (so much for 2 day turn around)....POSITIVE. Wife got hers on 7/2, negative. Son didn't get a result for two weeks, until 7/8. As soon as i found out about me, I started quarantining within the house in a bedroom, my office, and outside in our back yard once a day for a while. Wife and son stayed away from me, and tried to stay away from each other as well.

Everyone tested negative after 14 days. I had to have two tests, both negatives, to get my freedom.

I never had any overt symptoms, even though I am in a few of the high risk groups (age, weight, BP, pre-diabetic). But after it was all over, I find that I get tired real easy. A few others in my circle of friends that have had similar as me, also report getting tired easy, and alot.

Date: July 24, 2020 03:52PM

Lucky, DaveinTx. Glad you and your family are OK. I've read that - even with mild symptoms there is often a hangover of ongoing effects. Scary virus!

You did all the right things. Take it easy. Hope you fully recover soon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2020 03:52PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: DaveinTX ( )
Date: July 25, 2020 07:03PM

Thank you Nightingale. I have spent last two days getting ready for a hurricane and a bunch of rain in 97 F temperatures with humidity to match. I am pooped! But it looks like we will miss the bad rains here where we live.

Date: July 26, 2020 04:57PM

It never rains but it pours, as they say. First the virus, then the rain and wind. Yow.

Maybe it's the 7 plagues all over again. Scary. Glad you're prepared. At least for 1-2 of them!

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: July 24, 2020 03:14PM

I used to look forward to coming home to my cute little condo each day. Now days I only leave home for necessities. When it is time to return home I now think, "Oh, rats. I have to go home already." The walls really do start to close in on you.

I enjoy driving in the car for a safe way of getting out of the house. You can take off the mask, listen to music or a recorded book, or just see the sights in town or in the country. I sometimes sit in the car near a park and watch people walking their dogs and pushing strollers. It's a simple pleasure just to do something different.

Date: July 24, 2020 03:54PM

I have started sitting in the park too. Never had time to do that before. Love watching the little kids playing soccer or baseball or badminton. It's relaxing and restorative.

Took me a long time to discover there is life outside my office. Too bad it took a pandemic to make me see the light, in oh so many ways.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2020 03:55PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: July 26, 2020 10:09AM

The wife and I have done a few roadtrips too recently. Headed into Wy. No people there and a a lot of open space...auto-social distancing..

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 24, 2020 04:45PM

How wonderful that you are taking care of your loved ones!

You might want to think about adding to your activities. If you feel that you need to get out of the house more, you could take up photography and learn some simple editing tricks. Get a good pair of binoculars, and you can pursue bird watching or exploring the nighttime sky. Tree and plant identification can also be fun (my sister-in-law tells me that there is an app where if you snap a photo, it will tell you what kind of tree or plant you are looking at.)

I also second what Pooped said about just getting out for a drive. Sometimes it just feels good to get in the car and go somewhere.

Inside, think about reading novels, doing jigsaw and crossword puzzles, cooking, home improvement, and so on. Have you thought of getting a pet? A cat or a dog will keep you very busy and entertained, and is a great source of comfort.

A good friend of mine who is housebound tells me that she switches activities every half hour. That's a bit quick for me, but it works for her.

I wish you the best. Do keep checking in with us to let us know how you are doing.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: July 26, 2020 10:11AM

"Have you thought of getting a pet? A cat or a dog will keep you very busy and entertained, and is a great source of comfort."

I heard that many shelters ran out of dogs and cats because of this. This is a good problem to have...as long as the animals don't get returned when life goes back to normal..

Posted by: P. Luke ( )
Date: July 24, 2020 05:01PM

Sorry to hear things are so bad for you. Most humans are social animals and need to socialize. That is what makes solitary confinement a punishment.

Each day I force myself to do things, even if I do not feel like it. I find it helps. Have you considered trying to write a autobiography, short story or poetry? I began writing when the Covid isolation began in March. Eventually I became so absorbed in it that I stopped watching TV completely. It does not really matter if anyone ever reads what I write. Although I am going to print a copy and hide it in the attic of the house where I live. That way someone may eventually find it. LOL

If you ever need to check-in with someone, Feel free to write.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: July 25, 2020 04:49AM

You are not alone. Most of my phone conversations with friends consist of just listening to their complaints. It's normal to need to vent sometimes.

Listening helps, but there are many good suggestions on this thread.

I also go on drives, and try to spend as much time outdoors as possible.

You are lucky you can exercise. I've been sick, and haven't exercised for 5 months, and really miss it. Exercise mitigates depression.

At first, I had 4-5 bad panic attacks every day, so I read several books on the subject of anxiety and fear, to better understand what was happening to me, and how to cope. The authors were reassuring, and their techniques really worked. I had a few virtual visits with a good therapist, which helped, too. I haven't had a panic attack for 6 weeks, now, and I'm not anxious anymore--just cautious.

I also had a stomach ulcer, and couldn't eat for a couple of months, and lost 20 pounds, too fast, so I studied nutrition, and tried out some new healthy recipes. I can eat normally, now. Altering my clothes is keeping me occupied this weekend.

I also learned how to sew masks, and made some for all of my family members and some friends.

I'm learning some new piano pieces. Music puts me in a state of "flow", and the world slips away, and time flies by! All alone, I think it's 10 pm, and I'll look at the clock and it's 2:00 am! Reading erases time, too, you're reading something interesting enough. Look for stuff you WANT to know, or NEED to know. There's always something new to learn!

Gardening is compelling, too, and I keep saying, "Just three more feet of weeding--just 15 minutes more," and half the day will go by.

The Hallmark channel is airing Christmas movies, which inspired me to start thinking about Christmas. Christmas, for me, is very positive, hopeful, family-oriented, and involves giving and thinking of others, which helps me stop feeling sorry for myself. I'm taking my time in choosing cards, gift wrappings, things to make, just the right toys for each grandchild, and thoughtful yet inexpensive gifts for everyone on our lists. I have learned how to make Christmas dog treats, and gluten-free Christmas cookies, and some See's candy recipes I inherited. During the holidays, I'm always too busy to do these extra things, so I'm doing these now.

I have already made plans for some upcoming birthdays, Halloween, and Thanksgiving, in case the social isolation has to continue. I love to plan!

I've learned some new photography software, and am always taking humorous pictures of my dog and cat, or discovering old baby pictures, or copying fun photos from websites and blogs, to text to my family.

My family members and I text every day or two (briefly). and FaceTime each other about once a week. Yes--I miss them terribly!

One old friend was complaining that we couldn't go to a movie theater to see movies, anymore. I said, "When was the last time you went to the movies?" She said, "Three years ago."

Yeah--there are some activities I never cared about--until I was told I couldn't do them. People can be so contrary.

Having groceries delivered is a luxury! The Mormon neighbors can't shun me at the stores, because no one recognizes me. I'm skinny, and my hair is long and straightened, and I wear a mask and sunglasses.

Certainly, isolation is easier for introverts. I haven't been as social, IRL, since I resigned from the Mormon cult. It's a relief to not be pestered all the time.

Date: July 25, 2020 09:17AM

Mother Who Knows, I'm sorry that you haven't been feeling well. It's good to see you here, though. It's been a while!

I get the occasional panic attack. When it happens, I do deep breathing -- long, slow breaths. I have found that it helps me a lot to keep my brain busy during an attack, so my two favorite activities for that are reciting the prime numbers or reciting the alphabet backwards.

What kind of photography software do you like?

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: July 25, 2020 08:12AM

Being retired and home all the time gets old for sure. We are fortunate to have walking trails though designated wetlands we can access from our house. A couple hundred yards away is an old one lane metal bridge that leads us to miles of walking. I try to walk 3-5 miles every day. It is not a lot of exercise, but it is something. I miss the gym. I practice the clarinet for 1.5 hours per day and the saxophone 0.5 to 1 hour per day to stay as sharp as I can if I ever get to play in a group again. The rest of the day seems long. I read a book in 2 days and then start another. Wife works in her garden which is a great joy to her. It is beautiful this year with the time spent on it. We discussed this is our life most likely until Spring of 2021. A depressing thought and we have to deal with the fact that this virus is not going away.

Posted by: ufotofu ( )
Date: July 25, 2020 12:08PM

It's strange alright; different, for sure.

Sometimes, when I can, I find myself making separate parts have a day. IOW, sometimes I'll do things then have a break and have another part of the day later.

When we are inside a lot we have to sometimes find (make) things to do. I make a mess - crafting a project, creating something, or cooking-eating, for example - and then clean it up (later).

I read, but not as voraciously as I once did. Writing, and research, and editing take just as much (or more) time. Still, I read for hours on a good - or is it bad? - day.

Then there's exercise. It's to be/ stay strong/ alive and mitigate pain & soreness and much as building/ maintaining body, & mind. I don't do it because I want to but because I have to.

I sometimes take a walk into nature... and occasionally run out (of time). I've always liked hiking, exploring, discovering. Sometimes it's the familiar and other times it's something new and fresh.

I also get lost in chores or helping others.

We suffer from outside (gathering together) restrictions and fears that cause isolation, at least physically (which is debilitating to some).

We can always talk on the phone. Just ask if you, whomever you are, ever want to talk. It's fun, especially when "distancing". It helps.

Best thoughts and wishes through this time and for all eat turn it tee.

Date: July 25, 2020 12:51PM

Hello everybody!

Your response have been soothing. I guess we all are at a place we have never been before. But your post made me feel that we are somewhere together. This process felt good and I appreciate being with you here on the forum.

Thank you!

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: July 25, 2020 01:27PM

DH and I happened upon a Netflix series —-Dexter.

Gorie, but such a plot we can’t leave it alone. It’s filled up a lot of hours for us.

Other good ones:

Burn Notice
My Name Is Earl
Prison Break

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: July 25, 2020 06:54PM

I filed the paperwork to retire this week. My furlough will not end before the date I was targeting, so took the buyout offer and moving on.

I’m taking my guitar in for a tuneup on Monday so I can start playing again. Today I packed away a ton of my work clothes. Will donate them closer to fall.

Date: July 26, 2020 08:32AM

Happy retirement! That's great that you were able to take advantage of a buyout offer, sbg.

This past spring, when I was teaching from home, I don't think I ever got out of my sweatpants. All of a sudden half of my wardrobe became irrelevant overnight.

Posted by: forgotmyname ( )
Date: July 25, 2020 07:23PM

Lol. Half joking half not. Might be fun to get a bunch of exmos "together" virtually every so often to help ease the tedium of life in isolation.

Also, would be really interesting to hear the actual audio voices of several "voices" I've been reading for a while. And see your beautiful mugs as well.

Date: July 26, 2020 12:39AM

forgotmyname Wrote:
> Lol. Half joking half not. Might be fun to get a bunch of exmos "together" virtually every so often to help ease the tedium of life in isolation.
>
> Also, would be really interesting to hear the actual audio voices of several "voices" I've been reading for a while. And see your beautiful mugs as well.
>

Name the time and place and we'll call it!

Can a lot of us "zoom" in or something?

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: July 26, 2020 11:18AM

I think a zoom meeting for exmos would be good if someone wants to organize it and perhaps have it be a once a week or some kind of regular schedule. We would advertise it here.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 26, 2020 11:34AM

How much per hour and how often do I get paid?

Is it more per hour for appearing topless? Cuz I'll do it if Lot's Wife will !!!

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: July 25, 2020 07:38PM

I would say look around and consider how younger people are living their lives. We aren't dead yet, why should any of us act like we are old? Personally I've had it with all these rules and feeling guilty. Everyday is a gift from Heaven, let's start acting glad for our time in this life.

In my extended family everyone has gone back to normal long ago. They are actually thinking for themselves and making informed decisions. If we don't go out and buy things we are certainly going to end up in far worse situation than what we are in now. So go out and go shopping, drive the car, go on vacation (camping). And as Tevai said it's a great time to learn something new, like the guitar!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 26, 2020 11:30AM

You're probably man enough to drive without your seatbelts on!

It must drive the women crazy.,.

Date: July 26, 2020 12:22PM

True!

It's better to look/ feel/ act/ THINK Young than to consider the alternative.

It's not so much about shopping, but ACTING, FEELING, THINKING "Normally", freely, even spontaneously!

The world doesn't go on its own - it's made through human activities: work, vacations, PLAY, passing others in the streets, meeting, interacting, or ignoring/ avoiding, exchanging, supporting, laughing, crying, trying, driving (crazy or back), and simply seeing and experiencing as we go thoughout our day, and night.

Take a walk, focusing on the breath and the environment, with or without any other humans, if needs be.

Shop, SAFELY, when and where possible and necessary (and be the kindest person you've ever seen).

If you need to drive, can you drive me crazy. I don't need to come back. Especially here. Thanks!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.