Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: forgotmyname ( )
Date: July 25, 2020 07:19PM

It's an herbal supplement that's supposed to be "clinically proven" to help with stress reduction. I just bought a bottle. Wondering if anyone has tried it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: July 25, 2020 07:30PM

My very local expert on matters such as this says:

Ashwaganda is an adaptogen (assists all parts of the body; Vitamin C would be another example of an adaptogen).

In concentration, it is a testosterone booster.

Hope this helps.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 25, 2020 09:17PM

WebMD says:

Ashwagandha is a small evergreen shrub. It grows in India, the Middle East, and parts of Africa. The root and berry are used to make medicine.

Ashwagandha is commonly used for stress. It is also used as an "adaptogen" for many other conditions, but there is no good scientific evidence to support these other uses. (repeat: THERE IS NO GOOD SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE TO SUPPORT THESE OTHER USES!)

Don't confuse ashwagandha with Physalis alkekengi. Both are known as winter cherry. Also, don't confuse ashwagandha with blue cohosh, canaigre, codonopsis, ginseng American, ginseng panax, or eleuthero.

Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19): There is no good evidence to support using ashwagandha for COVID-19. Follow healthy lifestyle choices and proven prevention methods instead.

How does it work?
Ashwagandha contains chemicals that might help calm the brain, reduce swelling (inflammation), lower blood pressure, and alter the immune system.

https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-953/ashwagandha

You'd likely save a lot of money and get the same result if buy placebo pills in a bottle labeled 'Ashwagandha'. It's all about faith and hope and Charity, the #7 horse in the fourth race at Belmont!

As for the phrase, "Clinically Tested", going to the temple has been clinically tested to improve spiritual strength, when taken with a strong laxative.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: July 26, 2020 12:14AM

I would imagine the Mormon owned "health foods store" in Lethbridge is selling it, if it's legal in Canada. My wife was a regular customer there.

Posted by: g0rgone ( )
Date: July 26, 2020 04:33PM

Ashwaganda is a somnifera, so it is within the nightshade family, and I also consider it to be interchangeable with papaver somniferum (which is poppy in it's natural state)
I use it for anxiety, heartbreak, headaches, and insomnia. I like to drink a tea with ashwaganda in it at night before bed, and I sometimes use a tincture of it directly during the day to help with tension and stress.

Also delicious in powder form whipped into hot milk with tumeric, cacao, and honey.

Posted by: australianmanxyz234 ( )
Date: July 27, 2020 01:36PM

I use ashwaganda all the time. first time i took it knocked me out just slept but after that it started to boost my sex drive and gave me some immune support. good stuff to take and also helps with aching joints etc.....I also take magnesiam 400 g max at night with fish oil helps sleep when combined......also good for aching muscles...

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 27, 2020 04:58PM

It's an apotropaic from the Kingdom of Wakanda.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: July 27, 2020 05:40PM

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's an apotropaic from the Kingdom of Wakanda.

What wonderful timing!

Less than ten minutes ago, I just finished seeing this documentary about a Khoisan/Bushman young man in Botswana (southern Africa), who was accepted by Michigan State University (I think as an engineering major).

THIS is the real life story of a real young man who is facing more major decisions and changes than anyone reading this could ever imagine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs7SZhHuXjk

[Keep in mind that the Khoisan peoples of southern Africa are, as a group, the oldest race/ethnicity of humans which still exist on this planet.]

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: July 28, 2020 05:55PM

at 450 mg/d single dose, initial changes occur only after about 11 days

Trick with using these things is detecting a benefit (or not).
The brain is an instrument for navigating the world.
When the brain changes the entire universe changes - so it can be difficult to detect a change, just as when on a ferry looking at the deck as it begins moving -- nothing is detected until, looking up, surprise, the pier is a ways off.

So the problem is to create an external reference.
Really have to write down specific markers on what is being addressed, and then measure these -- which can be very subtle.

Side effects if any usually immediate.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.