Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: August 02, 2020 01:07PM

I'll leave it up-in-the-air how I knew Wilford Brimley, but this was before "Absence of Malice" or "Cocoon" brought him well-deserved fame and recognition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilford_Brimley

I see Wiki has him listed as a member of the COJCLCS, but you can take my word that he wasn't active.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: August 02, 2020 01:38PM

Bummer. Everyone who knew my dad said they thought he looked like Wilford. He was even stopped on the street a few times for an autograph.

Posted by: ontheDownLow ( )
Date: August 02, 2020 01:44PM

My wife said she met him when she first moved in with a family in Lehi. She said he was very interesting and the family she lived with bragged and bragged about him being LDS. I knew about the poker playing (years later) and I often wondered if he was in or out of the morg. Thanks for clearing that up Cabbie.

I enjoyed his acting. RIP.

Posted by: ufotofu ( )
Date: August 02, 2020 01:47PM

Yep.

And as many of us know, "Most Mormons are Inactive" (regardless of the standards used to measure inactivity - or actions - by).

Even Joseph himself didn't believe. He really just wanted followers. He was a misleader.

He was inactive, drinking, non-tithing, dishonesty, non-morality...

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 02, 2020 04:46PM

85 year olds tend to die a lot.
I lost all respect for Wilford after he starred in that horrible train movie called "End Of The Line".

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: August 02, 2020 07:36PM

I'd cringe every time he's say the word "Dyabeeetus"

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: August 07, 2020 02:03AM

Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: August 02, 2020 05:22PM

Thank you for sharing the link, Cabbie. I learned several interesting facts about Mr. Brimley that I had not known.

RIP Wilford :(

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 02, 2020 10:48PM

He was on Craig Ferguson's talk show and was the perfect curmudgeon. Told Craig he couldn't figure out why he want him for a guest.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: August 02, 2020 11:37PM

Did he share his opinion of LDS,Inc. with you Cabbie or was he living as a Jack Mormon?

Date: August 03, 2020 12:53AM

He suddenly had "celebrity status" thrust upon him (1982 with "Absence of Malice" where the critical reviews noted he "stole the show" from no less than Paul Newman), and after that, there was only a wave or a nod when we ran into each other.

I note two actresses who worked with him, Barbara Hershey* and Piper Perabo, spoke highly of him.

I'm at a loss to understand the bile aimed at Brimley above because he was in a lousy movie. I remember seeing him in "The Hotel New Hampshire," and that was a ghastly production, IMO.** I wonder whether the same poster would trash Jodie Foster in similar fashion.

**I'll add I'm well aware of the "multiple layers of meaning" in "New Hampshire" (including offering a theme and echoing references to a Greek myth; an old girlfriend picked that one up and shared it with me), and I'm still underwhelmed. But those are strictly subjective issues involving personal taste.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2020 12:54AM by SL Cabbie.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: August 03, 2020 11:05AM

SL Cabbie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> He suddenly had "celebrity status" thrust upon him
> (1982 with "Absence of Malice" where the critical
> reviews noted he "stole the show" from no less
> than Paul Newman), and after that, there was only
> a wave or a nod when we ran into each other.

One critic said (paraphrse) "he upstaged the leads" and "owned the film."

https://www.redstate.com/shipwreckedcrew/2020/08/02/wilford-brimley-in-absence-of-malice-was-a-big-part-of-why-i-wanted-to-be-fed/

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: August 08, 2020 11:36PM

".....what in the good Christ is going on."

Did he lose his TR over that line?

Posted by: schweizerkind ( )
Date: August 03, 2020 12:37PM

Wilford's first wife was a cousin once-removed. They led essentially separate lives, but he always took care of her financially.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: August 03, 2020 09:21PM

I like liked him in "The Thing" remake and also "Remo Williams"

Date: August 07, 2020 01:07PM

https://www.sltrib.com/artsliving/2020/08/06/robert-redford-others/

>>Redford said, “we also shared a love of Utah and its landscapes. He once told me that in the early stages of his career, when he was a struggling actor based in California, he saw the image of Mount Timpanogos in the film ‘Jeremiah Johnson,’ and it jolted him, he said, ‘That’s my home, I gotta go back.’”

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: August 09, 2020 12:19AM

I like Wilford Brimley, seems like a nice man who didn't put up with the Mormon crap.

Posted by: iceman9090 ( )
Date: August 11, 2020 09:29AM

+Frankie:
“I like Wilford Brimley, seems like a nice man who didn't put up with the Mormon crap.”

==What makes you say that he did not put up with the mormon crap? What did he do?
What is the mormon crap?

~~~~iceman9090

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.