Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Russell Mallard ( )
Date: August 09, 2020 02:07PM

It's pretty obvious that all the starvation from Mormons and other religions has done nothing.

So since it didn't work, what are people saying about its failure?

I'm not sure what is more absurd, the idea that an all benevolent God would will it that thousands of people die painful deaths, or that a bunch of people voluntarily starving themselves for a day would somehow mean something to an infinite being.

If there were a Christian god or any other religion's god, this thing wouldn't be happening.

Have any Mormons figured this out?

I ask because in my Mormon life, I have a number of healing blessings and none of them ever worked. It was very destructive to my faith when I saw that even though I truly believed I could heal (it was in my patriarchal blessing), I was never able to.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: August 09, 2020 02:18PM

Oops, my phone changed "gave" into "have". I gave healing blessings, not had them.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: August 09, 2020 02:29PM

Hi Russell Mallard. Interesting post. Thank you.

You should be able to find an 'edit' button underneath your post which for 24 hours after you first posted will allow you to enter and edit anything you want to change.

But even without an edit the post still reads OK. And we can see your correction underneath.

I agree with you that one of the most difficult aspects of any faith to explain is why does suffering exist and numerous similar questions. They each try to come up with explanations but often these fall short of being satisfying to many questioning people.

If foregoing a meal would change the mind of deity about - anything at all - doubtless most of us would gladly forego our Bacon 'N Eggers or McMuffins (which would be a good idea in any case). I choose to interpret such actions as active meditation or something along those lines - doing something, anything, while thinking of whichever plight is foremost in our minds at any given time. I guess I'm a fatalist, pretty much thinking that whatever will be, will be. So I don't look for any sudden turnarounds - and I'm rarely disappointed. :/

Posted by: W8sted2years ( )
Date: August 09, 2020 02:50PM

Saw a Great meme...

It showed Jesus in late evening knocking on a door where there was a dimly lit light showing through the door window, Jesus was knocking on the door and said...

" Hey, hey can you guys hurry up with that vaccine.. people are starting to think I don't do anything"

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: August 09, 2020 02:58PM

I think it's the exact opposite. Mormons love this sort of thing. Extreme diversity, to them, means that as the world gets worse and worse, it just proves that we're in the end-times and that Jesus will be coming soon.

They're expecting things to get bad, so it's not a surprise to them. The innocent will always get caught up in the bad stuff. Or, they will just judge some and say that they weren't being faithful enough to gain Heavenly Father's protection.

Date: August 09, 2020 06:33PM

Do you know any Mormons who have done the fasting?

I don't know any well enough to ask. I can definitely imagine the apocalyptic appeal for some.

Probably most don't even think that far ahead. I certainly didn't begin to understand the implications of my unanswered prayers until long afterwards.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: August 14, 2020 02:06PM

My disabled brother posted something Brother Wendy said recently about preparing to meet Christ. It was along the lines of the end is near.

I do take note that there were a few fasts and there haven't been any since April or March??? I'm sure my daughter fasted. No chance in hell she didn't fast.

NOTHING.

When I went to have blessings from the bishop over my gay boyfriend, I would fast for DAYS and pray my heart out, and NOTHING. I only did it 3 times. Stupor of thought was all I got out of it. My dad wasn't much into blessings or not at all. WE didn't grow up in our family having anything to do with blessings except when my disabled brother got hit by a pickup when he was on his bike at age 5. Other than that, we didn't buy into blessings. So I took a shot at it. Didn't work. Placebo effect??? Well, not for me.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: August 09, 2020 07:09PM

cojcolds has certainly been affected by this pandemic. Think of it all the leaders are hiding in their bunkers. They've discontinued services of all kinds, missionary program annihilated, the boy scouts and the repackaging and glorifying of Native American symbols for the suburban upper middle class has recently been rejected as well. The momo bretheren haven't even bothered broadcasting out on their own tv stations that they actually own.

They gave up without even a struggle? I'm not sure how they are going to revive that rough rolling stone that smashes everyone in it's way. I'm thinking that it's the end.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 09, 2020 07:32PM

The mormon GArenontocracy make no promises, they have no explanations and they offer no cures...   Ignore it and hope it goes away.

I suspect that they are just going to pretend that it was a mere nothing, a tiny blip on the monitor of their progress to their Celestial, very sexy, Eternity.

They know that Even Jesus has proven to be one tricky bastard (unless you believe that Elohim married Mary before he schűtupped her), so keeping quiet on this tricky issues is their go-to strategy.

When they think it's safe, they'll come out and tell the sheep that all is well and that their faith is what holds the world together, and the sheep will bleat their tried & true response:

"We are the mormons
The mighty, might mormons!
Everywhere go, the people want to know
Who we are, so we tell them,
We are the mormons,
Who we are, so we tell them
We are the mormons,
We are the mormons,
We are the mormons,
Who we are, so we tell them...

...Repeat until you wake up in the CK.

It's so grand that mormons know where they came from, why they're here and where they're going.  So they can easily say:

https://www.ebay.com/i/353007893198?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=353007893198&targetid=930233623336&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=1013613&poi=&campaignid=10764811653&mkgroupid=105746429883&rlsatarget=pla-930233623336&abcId=9300385&merchantid=6296724&gclid=Cj0KCQjwvb75BRD1ARIsAP6LcqsrtoIYnBxIISjA-kOQcoWhQpp3-6bFow7HpW0RiNwtCGUJROTWcsMaAtdlEALw_wcB

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 09, 2020 07:34PM

Posted by: ‘40s guy ( )
Date: August 09, 2020 10:26PM

I, too am surprised they rolled went over so easily.
When way early they cancelled the late-July Pioneer Day celebrations (in late Winter & several months out) I thought something was up.
I am retired, and since the time of my youth (passage of the Hart -Celler Act), I recognize neither the church nor the country.
All gone.
Seems like the church Trinity is Money, Power and the Appearance of Piety.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: August 10, 2020 12:15AM

The GAs have a spiritual impotence that all of the little blue pills in the world won’t fix. That lack of faith trickles down to the masses. Faith and belief are essential to blessings. If any involved are skeptical, it won’t work. The life force has its own physical laws about free will.

It’s a mixed bag at the ward level, but at the top faith seems to be nonexistent.

Mormon Jesus is about as far from historical Jesus as you can get. Mormon Jesus has a $100B slush fund and an upscale mall waiting for him when he comes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2020 12:20AM by bradley.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: August 10, 2020 12:29AM

Covid is definitely breaking up the routine that THE (MORmON) church is so dependent on to keep their MORmON members highly regimented and conditioned. LDS inc is definitely losing some control. How that plays out will be seen, but it can NOT be good when it is all factored out.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: August 12, 2020 11:11AM

It is possible that covid is the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back?
Is it possible that the Mormon church has peaked and is now going to fade into the mists of forgotten religious movements?
And one last thing. How does "mormon" jesus differ from "christianity's" Jesus?

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 12, 2020 03:50PM

1) Since somewhere between 60% and 75% (estimate) of the reputed membership had already stopped active participation in LDS Inc, the camel's back was already looking pretty sad. Will covid-19 cause even the true believers to slack off? I think so, but we won't know for about 2 years IMHO.

2) LDS Inc peaked in % growth back in the 1970s. That said, I don't expect it to fade away for a very long time. $100B can grease the skids for a loooong fade.

3) Mormon Jesus is clearly second fiddle to "Heavenly Father" in Mormondom. This is not true of Christian Jesus. There is a lot of "in the name of Jesus Christ"ing in Mormonism, and he sometimes gets quoted from scripture, but other than that, it's all about HF.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: August 13, 2020 04:15PM

Posted by: Ted ( )
Date: August 14, 2020 08:48AM

Mormons are finding how heavenly it is on Sunday now, not to put up with the drudgery of a Mormon Sunday. A mormon sunday is pure unadulterated hell. It is stressful and awful. It's not just 3 hours, it's more like 5-6 hours or more. So Mormons are finding that this has been an awakening. Also mormons are spending more time on the evil internet. That's why I left the cult, I found out about Helen Mars Kimball et al.

Posted by: Lowpriest ( )
Date: August 14, 2020 03:08PM

At least not with the mormons who I know....

On the contrary, the covid has demonstrated the wisdom of the mormon prophet, again according to the mind numbed dumb ass robots who follow the current charlatan.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.