Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Secular Priest ( )
Date: August 14, 2020 07:08PM

So I have positive proof that GA’s lie. I was on my computer the other day and a site popped up that talked about the new improved Oakland temple and what it now looks like inside. So I had a look. Here is the link:

https://ca.video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?fr=yhs-trp-001&hsimp=yhs-001&hspart=trp&p=lds+oakland+temple+u+tube+video#id=0&vid=03018ebc10b732e5883b45b49a090e4d&action=click

At about 5:21, Elder Cook (I believe it is him) talks about baptism for the dead with the new improved baptismal room in the back ground. He goes on to say that this ordinance in the temple does not make them a member of the Church. That was news to me so I did some research.

I looked up the wording that is used in the temple and here is what it says:

Following baptism, the deceased must be confirmed a member of the Mormon Church. This ceremony does not have to be performed by the same proxy by the baptism, and usually isn’t. The proxy sits in a chair, and two Mormon Elders place their hands on the proxy’s head, and repeat the following, for each deceased person.

That seemed pretty clear. So I looked up the actual wording and its the same wording we use for real life people except it begins with:

"Brother _______, in the name of Jesus Christ, we lay our hands upon your head, for and in behalf of _______, who is dead

And ends with:

"and confirm you a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and say unto you, Receive the Holy Ghost. Amen."

Sure seems to me like they become members of the Church. Please correct me where my thinking is wrong. It appears that this apostle is lying to the world. Am I wrong? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 14, 2020 07:35PM

sigh...

I wish Mormon & GA lies were first-time events / new occurrences, but No, they're not...

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 14, 2020 07:52PM

I was told the dead dunking led to the named dead person being presented with th option of accepting the gospel in heaven. That was 60+ years ago.

Posted by: Jaxson ( )
Date: August 15, 2020 09:09PM

That's what I was taught for some 40+ years. I never heard that a baptism for a dead person automatically made that dead person a member. Just that their ordinances were done IN CASE that dead person chose to accept the gospel in the hereafter.

So, exactly where is the G.A. lie when it comes to this?

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 14, 2020 08:00PM

His lips are moving ?

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 14, 2020 08:14PM

Where's the assent - agreement of the 'candidate' to be a member in the Dead-Dunking situation?

It's AWOL.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: August 15, 2020 05:54PM

They would only do the temple work for dead people who WANTED to join the mormon church and not for any name they can get their hands on.

Posted by: Swift ( )
Date: August 15, 2020 06:02PM

Okay, let's play Devil's Advocate here. How do they wriggle out of this one?

Well, by pointing out that confirmed dead people technically aren't put on the books... So aren't members in the same way living ones are.

On second thoughts, no, that doesn't convince me either.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: August 15, 2020 08:19PM

When has a church leader spoken the truth?

I remember a zone meeting where the Mission President brought the church's Area President.

The first thing out of this guy's mouth was that the Lord had blessed us missionaries with a glorious day to share the gospel.

It was raining cats and dogs outside. Some of us were less blessed than others and had mud streaks on our raincoats and trousers from peddling bicycles through flooded streets (and we were admonished for looking sloppy and disgracing the church.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: August 15, 2020 10:10PM

Baptism oddly enough whether for living or dead does not make you a member of the church. So...technically hww is correct.

The confirmation makes you a member.

Thus the apostle can tell the world truthfully that baptism for the dead does not make the person a member.

He just with holds that the sacred post baptism confirmation makes one a member.

Not at all like the deceiver that tells a hundred truths to get you to believe a lie. Really. Trust him!

Posted by: thegoodman ( )
Date: August 15, 2020 10:23PM

Brilliant! That seems just up their alley, very "side of the mouth" speaking. Although, anyone who would justify his own word choice in that manner is being incredibly disingenuous. Because the doctrine I was taught growing up, is that without the Priesthood authority and the laying on of hands after, the dunking of a person part of baptism is nothing more than splashing in water. So, to exclude the confirmation when talking about baptism is deliberately duplicitous.

Posted by: 12345 ( )
Date: August 16, 2020 12:34AM

'Heartless' is correct.

In further support: A (living) convert's membership is considered to begin not on the date of his or her baptism, but from the date of his or her confirmation.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: August 16, 2020 06:18AM

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: August 16, 2020 07:01AM

Did someone mention MORmON ASSpostHOLE Quentin Cook ?????

MORmON ASSpostHOLES occasionally tell the truth ......about how much that they love to steal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxmNEX61PhI

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.