Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 22, 2020 04:41PM

Yet another dumb ass.
============================

Delta bans bin Laden-killing ex-Navy SEAL after anti-mask tweet
==============

"The former Navy SEAL who shot and killed Osama bin Laden bragged about not wearing a “dumb ass” mask on a packed flight — an apparent dig at a face-covered passenger in a Marines cap.
“I’m not a p—y,” tweeted former SEAL Team Six member Robert O’Neill, 44 — alongside a photo of him smiling in his seat.

The only other person clearly in the shot is an elderly man wearing a mask and United States Marine Corps hat, and followers took it as a direct attack on his fellow passenger — with some even noting it was the same slur as he had used for the al Qaeda leader.

“Neither is the guy in the USMC hat,” one twitter user replied, referring to O’Neill’s slur. “And once again he’s serving his country by doing what he can to protect your right to be wrong.”

“You’re endangering a veteran’s life. how patriotic,” another person responded, while others noted the elderly passenger was “more susceptible than you are and smarter also !!”

https://nypost.com/2020/08/19/ex-navy-seal-brags-about-not-wearing-dumb-ass-mask-on-plane/?utm_campaign=iphone_nyp&utm_source=twitter_app

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2020 04:44PM by Dave the Atheist.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: August 22, 2020 04:52PM

Brings to mind Dr. Dao, who had to be hauled off kicking and screaming. Can you imagine the ruckus if O'Neil resisted?

Date: August 22, 2020 04:57PM

Obviously he would not be murdered since he is white.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 22, 2020 05:01PM

Dr. Dao was vindicated, of course, by the police, the airport, and a nice financial settlement. Law enforcement would do well to respect the law in this and all cases.

Date: August 22, 2020 05:38PM

Just as the innocent can be unjustly prosecuted, wrong-doers can use legal contrivance, political access, celebrity, effective public relations, privilege or "protected victim" status to escape consequences. Dr. Dao was shrewd and effective manipulating United into kow-towing and paying out big. Not "vindication" by a long shot.

"Sir, the crew told me you have to leave."
"No, I don't."
"You're not a legal passenger on this flight, you have to come with us."
"No I don't. You're picking on me because (fill in preferred victim status of your choice.)
"We're doing what the captain and crew have instructed. You're not allowed on this flight, and now you're delaying operations."
"You can't make me. I'm staying on. F*ck you."
"We'll remove you by force."
"Go ahead and try."
Officers proceed to remove him, as they were instructed. "Victim" flails arms about, putting aisle-seat passengers at risk. "Victim" claims police brutality. Wins lots of money. Cops lose their jobs. Liberals everywhere gloat.

Now contrast that hypothetical scenario with O'Neil. Jerk that he was, he at least complied with LAWFUL ORDERS, something progressives often have trouble with, because they know better. And yes, I have dealt with my share of politically righteous jerks who thought they knew better. I remember following a woman for a mile, lights and sirens on, before I pinned her in at a red light. "Why did't you stop?" I asked. "I didn't do anything wrong--why should I?" she answered. (I wrote her a VERY expensive ticket. Should have arrested her.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2020 06:37PM by Tevai.

Date: August 22, 2020 05:43PM

You do it again. The decisions in Dao's favor were NOT made by United Airlines: they were made by the security company and the airport police authority on the basis of established law.

Insisting that police obey the law is not "manipulation." LE in this country need to learn that they are not above the law. No operating procedures, policies, or police union activities obviate that.

Rule of law: it's a simple concept that distinguishes advanced societies from tyrannies.

Posted by: Henry B. Eyeroll ( )
Date: August 22, 2020 06:27PM

Damn, caffiend, you genuinely seem to have a stick up your ass regarding this UAL incident.

https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1963501,1963596#msg-1963596

Let it go, man. It's been over 3 years. It's OK to take out the stick.

Date: August 22, 2020 06:52PM

I prefer to say it "sticks in my craw" -- a cute euphemism from "flyover country."

We have gotten to the point where District Attorneys have announced they will not prosecute for a wide variety of crimes, including riot. "Slippery slope" is considered a "logical fallacy;" the evidence says otherwise.

What we have here, dear Henry* are two similar cases. One became a cause celebre, one incident among many contributing to the erosion of our civil order. Dr. A**hole could have complied, then gone to UAL customer services, bitched at some poor service rep, and gotten redress. Instead he chose to obey a LAWFUL ORDER and got away with it. Bully for him.

O'Neil was a jerk. I'm not defending that. But he did the right thing and complied with the request (or order) to exit the plane. Suppose he had tried a "Dr. Dao" stunt?

The difference between a self-centered spoiled brat and a true alpha male.

Edit: Regarding the "*" above -- I love good word play, and your moniker is fntastic!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2020 06:53PM by caffiend.

Date: August 22, 2020 07:08PM

caffiend Wrote:
----------------
> Dr. A**hole could have complied. . .

I note that Tevai already deleted your reference to "Dr. Asshole" and my reply. Given that you have repeated the insult, I likewise repeat my observation that "sometimes you post things that indicate you may not have been a very good cop."

----------------
> then
> gone to UAL customer services, bitched at some
> poor service rep, and gotten redress.

The thing about a constitutional republic is that citizens have no obligation to seek redress from airlines when the source of the problem is the police. Like Dr. Dao, they can go straight to the police and the administrative authorities and get redress there.

--------------
> Instead he
> chose to obey a LAWFUL ORDER and got away with it.

You keep saying that. The truth is that the people with the authority to pronounce on the legality of the action, who are well above your pay grade, decided that it was an unlawful order unlawfully executed. Your opinion is no more valid than anyone else in the peanut gallery.

-----------------
> Bully for him.

I think you have that backwards.

---------------
> O'Neil was a jerk. I'm not defending that. But he
> did the right thing and complied with the request
> (or order) to exit the plane. Suppose he had tried
> a "Dr. Dao" stunt?

Again, why are you so focused on Dr. Dao? Why does a present episode by a different man trigger you so?

---------------
> The difference between a self-centered spoiled
> brat and a true alpha male.

That's an offensive statement. The Vietnamese "self-centered spoiled brat" is an MD and a US citizen. What is it about him that makes him less than "a true alpha male?"

Date: August 22, 2020 08:13PM

We're dealing with two, and now three, jerks. Hope that's not too offensive. I shall refrain from references to objects and bodily orifices.

Dr. Jerk and SPCO* Jerk are both jerks. One made a stink and got away with it. I contend that authorities "above my pay grade" were bigger jerks and caved. Shame on them, and the camels they rode in on. Incidents like this contribute to the erosion of civil order: you can't deny that people are getting away with things that would have been unthinkable merely a few years ago. Witness middle-class flight from a number of US cities.

We're at an impasse, LW. Simply because high-placed (and probably over-paid) jerks took a pass on holding Dr. Jerk accountable for his patently illegal resistance may validate him in your eyes, but not before those with respect for basic order. I submit SCPO Jerk for your consideration for the proper response: obey lawful orders.

Here's why the Dr. Jerk event is relevant, three years later. We now have Mama Jerk:

https://nypost.com/2020/08/20/nyc-mom-six-kids-kicked-off-flight-after-toddler-refused-to-wear-mask/

I sympathize with Mama Jerk in that the chances of a child having and/or transmitting COVID-1984 are quite remote. I believe the airline was wrong, but that is their policy. Perhaps Mama Jerk was inspired by (the likes of) Dr. Jerk and felt that if she created a big enough stink she could have her way? Maybe win damages? And the crowd (low-level mob mentality) came to her defense.

So, screw the flight schedule, deplane everybody, separate out Mama Jerk and brood, re-board everybody, we're late, too bad for you. Mama Jerk felt she was right, and that's what counts (Prov. 21:2).

Perish the thought that people should:

1) Recognize and respect authority
2) Obey authority
3) Seek redress from responsible agents
4) Understand that sometimes we're wrong, other people are wrong, and you just have to suck it up.

PS: I made no reference to Dr. Jerk's ethnicity, citizenship, or position in life. He may be an accomplished MD: bully for him. He's still a jerk. Allow me an anecdote of my own: Broad daylight, a BMW flew through a red light, no signal. MD plates. I approached the driver, still on his cell phone. "I'm being pulled over," he says, still on the phone. "I'll call you back." Now THERE was a guy deserving a ticket--three violations! I told him why I stopped him, and he shrugged acknowledgement. "Sorry,I'm backlogged on my appointments."

Dr. Red Light got a warning. See what a bit of respect can accomplish? (But I let him sweat it out while I wrote it!)

*For those of you who take the US military for granted, "SCPO" means "Senior Chief Petty Officer," rank of E-8.

Date: August 22, 2020 08:53PM

How's that COVID-1984 working out for you.

Date: August 22, 2020 09:10PM

People ask me, "How are you doing with all this?"
I answer, "I was retired when all this started. Now, more so."

On the negative side, I have a rental unit that'll be vacant in September--that hurts. Students form the primary tenant block in my area, so we'll see what happens. A few schools are opening up.

On the positive side, my son came across a distressed seller last April in an attractive rural part of my state, 90 minutes from the Big City. We put in a low-ball bid and got it. Now, talking to builders and professionals, we learn that this little pocket of country charm is in a boom! People from northeastern big cities are grabbing up land in a (pardon me) "land rush."

I close on Monday!

24 lovely woodland acres. He wants to clear some and try his hand at "gentleman farming" (my term, not his). I think it would make a great retirement site. But we have to get in line for builders--they all say they've never been busier.

Edit: Thanks for asking. We do our share of sparring, Dave, but I do hope you're healthy, well, happy, safe, and financially secure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2020 09:31PM by caffiend.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 22, 2020 07:53PM

As a Navy SEAL, he was used to following rules and orders. I don't see why he's having such a difficult time with it now. What a jerk.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 22, 2020 07:58PM

Brings the question-

what about all those flights for the Lard's Ambassadors?

of Course referring to all the canceled flights / reduces schedules...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2020 08:26PM by GNPE.

Posted by: kantgomo ( )
Date: August 22, 2020 11:57PM

The whole "I killed Osama bin Laden" was weird to me. It just didn't seem like the norm to me to reveal that information. Then, it's like painting a target on your own back.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.