Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: frankblue ( )
Date: August 27, 2020 06:27AM

Have anybody out here read the book "Truth seeking" from Hans Mattson who was a high leader that left church after understanding that it was not true. Would be intresting to discuss reflections of the book from those who have read it...

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: August 27, 2020 06:27AM

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 27, 2020 12:21PM

I never read the book, nor do I remember a lot about the events with Mattson beyond a broad general outline. He and "the Swedish Rescue" were heavily discussed here at the time, so a search on "Mattson" for "all dates" should find the threads.

Here's a video about Swedish Rescue:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1BdbKJbZZY

ETA: I did an RFM search on Mattson and got 8 pages of results, most from 7 years ago, which was the relevant time period.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2020 12:24PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 27, 2020 12:44PM

Yeah, Mattsson and his book ceased to be a topic of conversation here when it turned out that the church IS true.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who was so embarrassed for him!

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 27, 2020 01:14PM

EOD: PLEASE don't elaborate or expand on that, OK?

Date: August 27, 2020 01:24PM

Brother of Jerry.I think the book is really scary in that way that Hans Mattson really wanted to help those members who were leaving church and understand questions that they had and that they never got answered.

After a while Mattson himself begun to question things like book of Abraham, the temple and the first vision. In his book he wrote that He asked one of the apostles about this and just got an answer that he should not ask an apostle of the Lord this kind of question. And that he should not be that rude.

This scares me. That the highest leaders in chuch just don´t know the truth themselves or are to afraid to say the truth to loose alot of members. Just keep on builing the illusion and blaming all the antimormonism, while most of it is just the churchs own history. No wonder members leave and gets bitter.

Date: August 27, 2020 02:09PM

Yeah...

When your Guide, your Leader, the Fountain of Revelations that guide your Destiny, tells you, "Look, here's what I think, but don't go quoting me on that!", you should recognize that, quite frankly, you're on your own...but they want you to keep paying the membership fee.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: August 28, 2020 01:00PM

This goes back years.

Church historian, apologist and president of the seventies B H Roberts once presented his questions to the 12. All they did was bear their testimonies. No answers. His work published after his death is a main source of information against the Book of Mormon.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: August 30, 2020 07:47PM

He also became alcoholic and had to be shipped off to California to dry out. You think it might have been stress for being ignored?

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: August 31, 2020 10:42PM

Mattson’s interview with John Dehlin is absolutely riveting. Years ago I stayed up late into the night listening to it straight thru. I highly recommend it.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: August 27, 2020 04:13PM

I will read it. I like exmo lit.

Posted by: MormonMartinLuther ( )
Date: August 27, 2020 09:21PM

With regards to the Swedish Rescue, rumor has it that Kirton McConkie has now asked the Q15 to include an asterisk after bearing testimony that the church is true *

Not including, but not limited to, certain provinces in Sweden, Italy and certain parts of Canada or wherever google can be found.

Date: August 28, 2020 12:38AM

And I heard that Kirtland-McCostco was doing a deep dive into old English common law to find citable decisions where it was held that having your fingers crossed while claiming to be telling the truth allows you to be held harmless when it comes out that your testimony was completely confabulated.

I think it's in the Bible, too!

Date: August 28, 2020 05:13AM

knotheadusc: It is a good and very well written book. And it made me wonder if the highest leaders knows all this crap in lds history or just have choose to close their eyes to the dark past of mormonism and continue to live in the illusion?

Posted by: Mattssoner ( )
Date: August 30, 2020 11:56PM

I read the book and liked it very much. His struggle was heart-wrenching until his wife came out with him.

He’s not returned to the Church AFAIN. All of his children have left the Church, and he now lives in Spain with Birgitta.

So “elderoldog”, I don’t know where you got your information from, but he did a follow-up interview with John Dehlin in Sweden over a year ago, and they were happily OUT of the Church.

Date: August 31, 2020 03:28AM

Mattssoner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> So “elderoldog”, I don’t know where you got
> your information from, but he did a follow-up
> interview with John Dehlin in Sweden over a year
> ago, and they were happily OUT of the Church.

Darn it! Now my attempt to get everyone reintegrated into the plan of salvation is foiled!! Curses!!!!

I'll get you, my pretty!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 31, 2020 03:44AM

(Whoosh)^2

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2020 03:44AM by Lot's Wife.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.