Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Je Suis Exmo ( )
Date: September 01, 2020 07:50PM

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/01/world/europe/charlie-hebdo-cartoons-trial-france.html/

The French satirical paper, Charlie Hebdo, whose offices in Paris were attacked by Islamic extremists in 2015 is reprinting caricatures of the Prophet Muhammad cited by the killers, saying "history cannot be rewritten nor erased."

The announcement on Tuesday came on the eve of the first trial for the January 2015 attacks against Charlie Hebdo and, two days later, a kosher supermarket.

Seventeen people died in the attacks — 12 of them at the editorial offices — along with all three attackers.

Thirteen men and a woman accused of providing the attackers with weapons and logistics go on trial Wednesday.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 01, 2020 07:51PM

Bravo.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: September 02, 2020 03:27AM

Yes, bravo!

Posted by: Portland Bill ( )
Date: September 02, 2020 04:49AM

I wonder if they will have a separate fake march for the politicians this time?

https://deadstate.org/these-world-leaders-showing-solidarity-with-charlie-hebdo-are-blatant-hypocrites

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 05, 2020 01:11PM

Did they march? Are there photos?

Then it wasn't "fake."

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: September 05, 2020 07:31AM

Whatever the article said, it looks like I won't be reading anything from the New York Times any time soon. The annoying pop-ups wouldn't allow me to read the story without creating a login. The article may have been good and may have valid points of interest. But with all of the free news from credible sources out there, the NYT just isn't competitive. Does anyone else out there have a link to virtually the same story from another source? Typically, most stories all originate from the same Associated Press feeds anyway.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 05, 2020 08:53AM

Google is your friend:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/charlie-hebdo-reruns-muhammad-cartoon-trial-paris-attacks/?ocid=uxbndlbing

>>"...the NYT just isn't competitive."

The Times is in a league of its own. It has subscribers all over the country, and probably the world. Same for the Washington Post. There are a few newspapers that probably don't struggle terribly much with getting online subscribers.

Most other newspapers will give you five free articles a month, and normally that's enough for me. Or sometimes you can get around that by doing a web search for the article. Or, as you point out, many stories are reported by multiple sources, many of which are free.

Posted by: Russell Mallard ( )
Date: September 05, 2020 12:08PM

I don't know what browser you use but if you can figure out how to clear the session "cookies" then you can read the articles on the Times or any such site for free.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: September 05, 2020 10:40AM

I found I was paying $5 for the WSJ Saturday/Sunday issue because of their excellent Review section, and reading the occasional free on-line piece. Then I noticed I could get unlimited on-line plus the Sat/Sun print for $6.50 a week.

Since I was already paying $5.00 a week, why not go a little more and get the whole package?

Regarding the Charlie Hebdo decision, Sweden just had a new row of Islamic riots over somebody burning a Koran. Maybe Charlie Hebdo should invite a round of NEW cartoons, not about the "Prophet," but about the Koran.

A week or so ago riots followed Bible burning in Portland. No it wasn't the Christians who rioted, but the Bible-burners themselves. "Keep Portland Weird," as the bumpersticker says.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: September 06, 2020 03:44PM

I have subscriptions to both the NYT and the Washington Post (evn though I've never been to the US ;-) because I'm interested in American views of America, particularly in the last four very weird years. They both appear very good newspapers to the eye of this journalist's son.

Tom in Paris

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: September 05, 2020 03:18PM

links to cartoon pics ? ~

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: September 06, 2020 08:42PM

Is it Islamophobia? Anti-muslim?

What does Reza Aslan think?

Maybe it gets a pass since its humor?

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: September 06, 2020 08:49PM

(Whistle refrain from "Merry Minuet")

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.