Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 21, 2020 02:49PM

And you know this statement is True because I found it on The Internet on a site called "Evidence Central."

https://evidencecentral.org/#/public/evidence_form?te=36&class=evidence

I mean what is a more compelling argument than recording on stone is in The Book of Mormon stories as well as actual stone records from The Maya Civilization!

The possibility that this is coincidental is beyond astronomically impossible!

Just thought RfM would like to know. The Book of Mormon has evidence now. You all are welcome.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tyson Dunn ( )
Date: September 21, 2020 04:10PM

People in a book demarcate time by years and reference time in the first lines of their writings. An ancient civilization measured time in years and referenced time in the first lines of their writings.

Well, knock me over with a feather. Let me see here:

"FOUR SCORE AND SEVEN YEARS AGO...."

"IT WAS THE BEST OF TIMES, IT WAS THE WORST OF TIMES, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way—in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only."

“IN MY YOUNGER AND MORE VULNERABLE YEARS my father gave me some advice that I’ve been turning over in my mind ever since.”

“It was a bright cold day in APRIL, and the clocks were striking thirteen.”

“He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone EIGHTY-FOUR DAYS now without taking a fish.”

“It was a queer, sultry SUMMER, the summer they electrocuted the Rosenbergs, and I didn’t know what I was doing in New York.”

Ad nauseam,

Tyson, out of time

Date: September 21, 2020 06:36PM

"People in a book demarcate time by years and reference time in the first lines of their writings."

Nephite calendrical data fit well in a lot of settings! Yeah, verily even 19th Century written records. "FOUR SCORE AND SEVEN YEARS AGO...."

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: September 21, 2020 11:19PM

"IT WAS THE BEST OF TIMES, IT WAS THE WORST OF TIMES"

One of the best books EVER. I read it every two years or so.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 21, 2020 11:30PM

> One of the best books EVER. I read it every two
> years or so.

Wow. That probably leaves no time to read anything else!

Posted by: William Law ( )
Date: September 22, 2020 01:16AM

I took Dickens in college. I still regret it.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: September 22, 2020 01:21AM

LOL I have adored him since I was little. One of the first fights I had with my grandmother was to buy me the REAL book not the Children's Classic crap version. I have half a dozen on my biyearly rotation.

Posted by: SimonS ( )
Date: September 21, 2020 11:04PM

This is a pretty slick looking website. It looks like its produced by Book of Mormon Central. I think they are the group Kwaku El is linked to.

Date: September 22, 2020 10:36AM

It is slick but check this out - rock in the hat trick pic!

https://evidencecentral.org/#/public/evidence_form?te=104&class=evidence

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: September 22, 2020 01:46PM

I'm going back to church because this site so full of evidence! Even though the word "evidence" doesn't mean what I was taught it means!

OK, reality check: Martin Harris said he had to go pray in the woods to humble himself: "...Martin withdrew from the group, and Joseph, Oliver, and David received the vision without him."

Wait a minute--an angel, who is corporeal enough to apparently handle real, physical plates appears to Smith, Cowdery and Whitmer but Harris wouldn't see them if he was there...even if he felt he wasn't worthy? If I don't "feel worthy" when my wife brings home a pizza, the pizza is there on the table no matter what I "feel".

Mmmmm......piiiiizza....

Wait, where was I?

Oh yeah, the plates: I've said many times that if the plates were man-made--nothing supernatural about them--then why did the angel take them "back to heaven." Now, I realize that nowhere as far as I know, does Mo' history actually say "back to heaven" bit I'm pretty sure that's implied to TBM's.

P.S. Love that pic' in the first link: a Mesoamerican pyramid on fire and those guys looking pretty darn Mayan, including parrot feathers on Mormon's neck thing.

Date: September 23, 2020 11:02AM

Love pizza!

The new look for Nephites yeah! They are all Mayan now.

https://evidencecentral.org/#/public/evidence_form?te=37&class=evidence

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: September 22, 2020 03:19PM

Now let's list how Nephite calendrical data is a horrible fit to Mayan calendrical data.

The Hebrews had a lunar calendar. They had a 7 day week. Both were fundamental to their religious observances. They used a decimal (base 10) counting system. They used their alphabet to designate numbers.

The Mayans had a solar calendar with 5 day weeks and 20 day months and 18 months in a year. Their counting system was base 20. They did not represent numbers by using letters.

But yes, both cultures had a concept of year, and referred to events by the year in which the event occurred. I wonder if there are cultures that don't do that.

BFD.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: September 23, 2020 10:41AM

Ah, but you see, the Mayans were Lamanites, and they rejected doing things the Nephite/Hebrew way. Yeah, that's it.

Posted by: Cassandra Doomsayer ( )
Date: September 23, 2020 05:25AM

Presumably the Nephite calendar says the world ended in 2012.

Date: September 23, 2020 11:03AM

That is when they guessed Jesus was coming again. How perfectly prophetic right?

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: September 23, 2020 10:04AM

Yes. This "co-incidence" of writing styles goes a long way toward explaining the absence of Jewish DNA in the Mayans. Like seeing a rainbow and proclaiming, "Oh my God! The Wizard of Oz is true!"

You gotta love the Abstract Statement about historic records having a hero and a protagonist. That is SO very rare in writing, right? Practically never been done. And the BoM was full of heroes and protagonists! What if Hollywood catches on? Will change everything. OMG!

Got to send this thesis to my Mother. Now she can go to her grave happy.

Posted by: Anziano Young ( )
Date: September 23, 2020 10:14AM

Well, guess I'll buy some new jammies and head back to church. You win, Mormons!

Date: September 23, 2020 10:15AM

Don't anybody alert all the Cultural Appropriation Police we have governing the planet these days or these Apologists at Evidence Central are in big trouble.

Date: September 23, 2020 11:04AM

Mormon Cultural Appropriation is whole clothe. They eat cultures. But that is the make a buck way. As long as there is corporate controlled Cultural Appropriation it is okay!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2020 11:04AM by Elder Berry.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: September 23, 2020 12:26PM

It is interesting to me how data can be used to support whatever concept that a person may have!

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 23, 2020 01:03PM

That's why people need The Spirit (tm) to guide them; If a Data Point appears to you with a message to deliver, offer to shake hands with it!!

Date: September 23, 2020 01:06PM

Ha! Good one.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.