Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: September 21, 2020 07:52PM

...& along with my own personal THANKS to John Dehlin for his unwavering commitment and Herculean efforts in continuing to pull back the curtain on the lies & deception of LDS-INC...yea even Mormonism...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0Ri6rmu7rw&t=59s

Or so it seems to me...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jiminycricket ( )
Date: September 22, 2020 12:02AM

Thanks to the OP for this link which I just watched. The frustration and near anger that Dehlin feels is real. I have gone through it too, and still do from time to time. Recovery is different for each of us.

One of the things about RFM that ticks me off so royally is the tit for tat unimportant junk from so many posters who actually do a disservice to the seeker of information in recovering from Mormonism. Those kinds of posts are not helpful, which is why I rarely want to post anymore. There are few really helpful topics, especially for new readers. Moreover, there are posters who just have to have the last word and show off their debate skills, or silly chit chat junk. It gets so tiresome.

I know I don't have to read those kinds of posts, but the seeker who needs help and who comes to RFM isn't served well in so many of the discussions.

John Dehlin's frustration from his YouTube video is authentic. It is very hard to get TBMs, friends and family members to learn the truth. The brainwashing for BIC members is intense. It took a lot for me to simply follow my curiosity and not fear the consequences.

My discovery caused me to leave the church, and my dear father too (he was a TBM in his 80's). I read everything at MormonThink.com, the CES letter, Grant Palmer's book ("An Insider's View), pages and pages from the Tanner's online book ("The Changing World of Mormonism"), and more etc.

Once I had facts that proved the church was not what it claims to be, there were two choices to make. One, ignore the evidence and be loyal to TSCC. Or two, be honest with myself and revere my personal integrity and leave. I opted for the second choice.

I understand Dehlin's anger towards TSCC for *knowing* all along the church narrative is not true and that they hope that future generations will never learn of past issues. As an example, current and future generations will never believe the garbage that I had to do in the temple endowment ceremony prior to drastic changes in 1990.

I hope RFM will be a bit more focused on "meat" not the *other* junk that does not help in recovering from Mormonism.

---
P.S. I've wanted to say that last sentence for a VERY LONG TIME.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 22, 2020 08:10AM

>>There are few really helpful topics, especially for new readers.

Then be the change you want to see. Start a post on a helpful topic.

Personally, I think new board members, new exmos, and those questioning get whatever they ask for. They get support, sympathy, advice, and referrals to where they can find out more about a given topic.

Posted by: thegoodman ( )
Date: September 22, 2020 09:14AM

Loved that video. Although, I did have a thought while watching it. The "Always known" and discrediting of naysayers has been happening since JS. Remember how the Whitmer clan got all upset about Rigdon and JS editing old "revelation" to include a super priesthood.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: September 23, 2020 03:09PM

The job of the apologists is to supply any BS answer that will allow the believers to keep on believing. And one of the most common is, "We've answered all this before. There's nothing to see here. Move along."

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: September 24, 2020 08:23AM

Indeed - and if you go searching for those answers which, from the tone used by the apologists, sound so cut and dried and irrefutable, those "answers" evaporate to a thin mist...

Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: September 24, 2020 03:39PM

Sigh...

And as expected along comes Denial Peterson trotting out the same old worn-out apologetics tripe that is his trademark claim to Mormon bubble fame.

Honestly after ALL of these years I stand ALL amazed that this individual along with his congenital gullibility gene as well as his enduring aversion to integrity and truth coupled with an obvious learning disability could ever have been employable in the real world.

Here's a quarter Daniel...call someone who cares about your bullsh*t.

Or so it seems to me...

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: September 23, 2020 03:11PM

The true story of Dr. Wiliam Law was one of the first truths that astounded me when it comes to Mormon lies. Such a good man who almost lost his life trying to tell the truth he knew in the very earliest days of the Mormon church. LDS, Inc. has trashed his name and reputation for over 100 years!

My own grandmother, who was raised near Kirkland, OH, used to join her protestant church in speaking out against the lies of Mormonism. Unfortunately she let up on her truth telling at the expense of her daughter and granddaughter. I had only heard about Mormonism from the Mormons themselves and joined up.

When my grandmother learned that we had converted to Mormonism she was heartsick. She had never imagined her own family might be sucked into the lies.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: September 23, 2020 03:25PM

"I hope RFM will be a bit more focused on "meat" not the *other* junk that does not help in recovering from Mormonism."

What is the junk?

I am not here to attack or criticize, but would like to better understand.

Posted by: Russell Mallard ( )
Date: September 24, 2020 01:11PM

I'm not going to answer for others, but I would say that all of the COVID or politics discussions are not really helpful. People can debate those topics anywhere, there's no need to divide this community along those grounds.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: September 24, 2020 03:46PM

Thank you for an honest answer.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: September 23, 2020 03:34PM

I agree with John.
My housing situation is such that it would be stupid of me to spout out at this time.
The only thing I can really do is disassociate as much as possible and keep my head down until things improve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2020 03:36PM by thedesertrat1.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: September 24, 2020 12:04AM

There have been a few times believers have told me, "The brethren wouldn't lie."

I replied, "Why do think that?"

"Because they speak for the Lord."

"What if that's one of their lies?"

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.